Main Menu

Paper or digital?

Started by skybluerob, 03 June, 2015, 10:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Its all about the device for me. I waited and waited to experiment with digital until there was a good 12 incher there and snapped up the Samsung Galaxy 12 at a decent price as it was a bit of a flop here! Love it as a device and I'm really happy to have entered the digital world for two main reasons.

Firstly I got too many comics and space was becoming a thing. I do sell off stuff when I know I ain't going to read it again but still my collection was getting too big.

Secondly it opens a whole world of great deals. Humble Bundles are an incredible option and there are frequent digital sales elesewhere that mean I've snapped a lot of digital comics at very good prices already. Its lead to me trying and or catching up with stuff I otherwise wouldn't.

I've got comics on a number of platforms, so Comixology, Amazon kindle versions, Dark Horse app 2000ad app etc etc but being on the same device don't mind that AND found almost all are basically the same and once you get into the swing don't interfere with the reading experience. Don't like guided view but don't need to use it on a 12 incher so not an issue.

That said I still buy must of my new comics phyiscally and do love the physical form. Enjoying best of both world's and relish having the full choice of whats available.

Albion

Quote from: sheridan on 05 June, 2015, 01:28:03 AM
Quote from: Albion on 04 June, 2015, 04:33:48 PM
Digital Prog and Meg for me. Purchased from the shop and files backed up on three hard drives so I won't lose them.
In at least two different locations, I hope?

Oh yes. I have a hard drive at work with all my music, comics and photos on it as well as at home. Comics are on a portable hard drive too.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

IndigoPrime

JudgeOiNK!

Quote from: sheridan on 05 June, 2015, 01:31:13 AM

Quote- Don't need to worry about getting a decent light source
Um, less pedantic - but lack of electricity will definitely hamper any attempts at reading on a digital device...

And don't even try to read a digital comic on holiday on the beach, you won't see a damn thing.   :D
Blog - http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

radiator

QuoteA little pedantic, but they do take at least some space (admittedly less than forty years of paper comics).

It's not pedantic at all - physical books and comics take up a crazy amount of space and this is a real consideration for people with small flats or houses, or those that just don't want to be weighed down with loads of possessions.

While it's true that print and digital both have their pros and cons, a lot of the knee-jerk arguments against digital/for print a lot of people throw around seem like a bit of a stretch to me, and have the air of luddism about them. "I work on a computer and don't want to look at another screen when I get home". Really? So I suppose you also only play boardgames and reject videogames? Only watch plays and never TV/movies?

Fungus

Quote from: radiator on 05 June, 2015, 05:07:49 PM
a lot of the knee-jerk arguments against digital/for print a lot of people throw around seem like a bit of a stretch to me, and have the air of luddism about them. "I work on a computer and don't want to look at another screen when I get home". Really?

Yes, really. Not something I'd go to the trouble of lying about  :o

Jim's point about screens messing up your sleep is pretty accurate too (and proven). I guess many of us read last thing in the day and the glare of a tablet is just more irritating than a comic page.

Spikes

Each to their own, I guess. But I wouldn't want to have to get used to digital, if the paper option was ever removed.

Digital though, I have found, has come in very handy - for the few occasions that I've dabbled in it.

ModsAndDrokkers

I actually prefer reading comics onscreen at night, they are clearer and more vivid---it is through the day, having to draw the curtains shut to blot out natural sunlight streaming in, that makes me feel like I am a zombie!

I never liked reading paper comics outdoors either, [flies/rain, wind, etc etc, and as has already been stated, outdoor screening of digital  comics  are a waste of time!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 05 June, 2015, 05:07:49 PM
...a lot of the knee-jerk arguments against digital/for print a lot of people throw around seem like a bit of a stretch to me, and have the air of luddism about them. "I work on a computer and don't want to look at another screen when I get home". Really? So I suppose you also only play boardgames and reject videogames? Only watch plays and never TV/movies?

No, no, no. My argument was almost the opposite of that, an admission that I do look at an awful lot of screns - that's exactly the point! I work on a PC, watch a lot of TV, browse the internet, increasingly socialse on Facebook... If it wasn't for reading physical books and comics 90% of my time would probably be spent staring at screens, and I don't want to spend 90% of my time staring at screens. The 70-80% I'm currently at is more than bad enough!
@jamesfeistdraws

Judge Brian

Choose neither! Just read all your comics for free in the shop. They love that.

Most of the comics I read, I read on tablet, I only buy a physical copy of what I want to keep. the Prog & the Meg make up a bulk of my non trade purchases.

skybluerob

I might get accused of bumping, but for those who I'm sure have had sleepless nights wondering what I decided to do, I went with print in the end.

Before that, I tried a few digital issues, and they weren't bad on my tablet to be honest.  In fact they were very good and crisp.

That said, it is like a mini event getting the weekly paper copy and sitting with a cup of tea and a biscuit while reading it.

And I must add, that the stories at the moment are excellent. Interesting, well written, well drawn.  There isn't one that I don't look forward to reading.

So, despite the conveniences and cost of digital, I think I'll be paper for life.  Plus my local newsagent seems a nice bloke. 

IndigoPrime

Quote from: skybluerob on 03 August, 2015, 04:38:49 PMI think I'll be paper for life.
I was the same. I am the same. Whether I will be in future, though, having noticed with quite a start that the floor of my upstairs office has dropped 1cm in the area all the Progs were stored in another matter. (Thrill Power is, apparently, heavy.)

skybluerob

Haha, fair point.  Although that's all part of the fun.  Although I may think differently when I run out of cupboard space.  Still, it's part of the appeal, watching it build up.  I'll just have to sacrifice something less important to make more room when the time comes.

Like my bed.

Eamonn Clarke

/surveyor voice on
Looks like a clear case of Thrill Power overload.
/surveyor voice off

IndigoPrime