Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiggyMitchell

Got the child bearing hips and the bald spot to prove it!

Matt Timson

This is great- and it's not even my fault for once!
Pffft...

Art

Isn't it kind of tatseless to post a lame joke from a forwarded email to an obituary thread?

Quirkafleeg

>saddened by the presumption that the book will be cack just because I am a fat tosser.

No I think the presumtion that the book will be cack is based on other assumptions.

PiggyMitchell

I apologise Art - I would remove it but I can't. I was hoping to inject some levity into the butt-kicking you boys had sent my way. I thought it was pretty amusing in terms of lame-forwarded jokes. I hadn't heard it. So yes, perhaps a mod if you have one here can cull it so the thread can be more respectful -

and maybe move the stuff about me to a non-RIP thread as well as none of that is even remotely tasteful, guys.

Max Kon

Please copy the following into the http://www.2000adonline.com/chat.php target='new'> database chat room

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/icons/piggy.gif>

/icon piggy

Max

Art

and maybe move the stuff about me to a non-RIP thread as well as none of that is even remotely tasteful, guys.

No, but it's a lot funnier.

Quirkafleeg

So Steven what are you plans for Slaine? Can you give us any hints?

PiggyMitchell

Art - true. I'll give you that.

Quirkafleeg - it's a three book series at the moment, the first one covering Slaine from his entry into the Red Branch through his exile to meeting Ukko and making the decision to return home.

A lot of it is based on Warrior's Dawn episodes, including strips like Sky Chariots, Bride of Crom etc, though certain changes have been made primarily to improve the narrative flow of the book. To that extent it's being described as a re-imagining.

Comics work in a different way to novels in that regard. I'm doing me very best to be faithful to the humour of Slaine and Ukko while writing a story that folks unfamiliar with 2000AD will actually be able to enjoy.

On the plus side I've been given a higher 'rating' for the book meaning it isn't targeted at the 13-17 year old readership of Black Library but is actually aimed at a more mature audience.

I can't say much because I'm on an NDA obviously, but my genuine hope is that I'll do the book justice. I do have a sense of humour - and am not a goth boy. Heck, my first 13 books which are floating around on Amazon etc were Star Wars Media Tie Ins - to an extent you follow the work, but sometimes an opportunity arises where you actually get to work with something you loved when you were getting into the whole writing/sf gig.  

In terms of style - it opens setting the scene for folk new to Slaine, dealing with setting up Murias and Grudnew and the Red Branch, who Danu is, what the Horned God is all about, and then, from his exile becomes the more traditional Slaine we know and love - bloody & darkly funny.

How about this - keep your current low expectations when you go in, and hopefully you'll come out pleasantly surprised?

It's due on Halloween.

We'll all know about its relative merits/flaws soon enough, methinks.

-- Max - thanks for the icon. Now I feel more at home!

Proudhuff

I thought Pat M had ring fenced all attempts at Slaine?

Shirley Shomhuff
DDT did a job on me

PiggyMitchell

Shirley - I have no idea about that. I know that he sold the license to Black Flame and they commissioned me with a street date of Oct 31. Anything else I couldn't tell you.

I, Cosh

Mr Rennie started the whole sorry saga with his surprise revelation on this thread:

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messagethread&choice=16236&Comic=&skipto=-1&Replies=" target="_blank">It'll Never Happen

We never really die.

Dudley

Wait - so that means it was all 54 Jones' fault after all!

I, Cosh

Which, for any newcomers still not familiar with Mr Mills attitude to interlopers on his patch, came not long after someone had exhumed the festering corpse of this one (if you're short on time, skip to Pat's letter then imagine a heavily polarised debate lasting three years.)

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messagethread&choice=3884&Comic=&skipto=-1&Replies=" target="_blank">Bah I'm off to France

We never really die.

PiggyMitchell

Wow that really is some insightful stuff - no idea I had walked into the middle of such a shitstorm.

Oh - and lots of my writing credits appear under Steve Savile, not Steven, which Amazon doesn't seem to like, Mr. Rennie.