Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 October, 2021, 08:43:09 AM
What's curious is this doesn't typically extend to long-form investigative reporting. While imperfect, shows like Panrorama are still doing good work.

*coughcoughcough*antisemitism hit piece*coughcough*
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

CalHab

I tend to listen to BBC Scotland on the radio a lot. There are a lot of issues with it, but I agree that they are generally caused by a lack of funding.

The problem I have is the "national" and international news, particularly when it covers Scottish matters. There is widespread ignorance and arrogance about devolved matters and Scottish issues. They invariably use talking heads from Westminster who repeat UK government lines without analysis or critique.

Their international coverage does the same and is uncritically supportive of UK foreign policy, in a way that their World Service coverage isn't.

I don't think this is an accident. They do function as a propaganda arm of the UK government for a "home" audience. It's particularly interesting that the "home" audience is England.

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: CalHab on 20 October, 2021, 09:43:16 AM
I don't think this is an accident. They do function as a propaganda arm of the UK government for a "home" audience. It's particularly interesting that the "home" audience is England.

This becomes blatantly obvious when you watch international sporting events.

I can't speak to how badly the BBC misunderstand Scottish or Welsh issues, but I can't believe it could be worse than their understanding of Northern Ireland, especially when it comes to the NI protocol.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Trump:  Last year expressing jealousy over the attention a teenage girl was getting from the media, and now doing the same with a dead man. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CalHab

Quote from: Mister Pops on 20 October, 2021, 12:54:27 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 20 October, 2021, 09:43:16 AM

This becomes blatantly obvious when you watch international sporting events.

I can't speak to how badly the BBC misunderstand Scottish or Welsh issues, but I can't believe it could be worse than their understanding of Northern Ireland, especially when it comes to the NI protocol.

True! However bad the BBC's Scottish coverage is, it pales into insignificance when compared to their treatment of Northern Ireland.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

It's worth noting that every public media company ultimately relies on government for its broadcasting license.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: Mister Pops on 20 October, 2021, 12:54:27 PM
I can't speak to how badly the BBC misunderstand Scottish or Welsh issues,...

To be fair it isn't just the Beeb that this is an issue with here in Wales.  There is a real lack of effective media coverage.  The 'national newspaper' of Wales, the Western Mail is a joke and a half.  Considering its history and ownership at present (Reach who own the Express, Star and Mirror ...) this is hardly surprising.

It's website is even more of a joke mind.  The quality of reporting is on a par with a primary school news-sheet at times and if you want to find out anything other than what is going on in Cardiff or Newport then you may as well forget it.

This is one of those occasions when I find myself in agreement with Sharkey, although only partially.  Ultimately media relies on monied interests for its 'license' with fairly predictable results.  The UK's incredibly lax attitude towards media ownership has arguably contributed to the rather unpleasant situation we find ourselves in these days regarding political and social discourse.

It will be 'interesting' to see what Johnson puts before parliament regarding social media and hate crime.  Whether what finally appears has any teeth at all or is going to be about as frightening as a cockapoo puppy ...

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

JayzusB.Christ

I see the usual cured-or-smoked-ham crowd are upset that John Lewis' have made their new Christmas ad 'political', which of course means that not all the people in it are white.  Fucking snowflakes.

Now, I will say that it's way too early for a Christmas ad, but that battle was lost a long time ago.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Said snowflakes aren't bright enough to realise their outrage is the REAL marketing campaign.

It's working, they got you to mention their brand here.
You may quote me on that.