Michael Bay is the new Alfred Hitchcock

Started by Dudley, 13 March, 2014, 11:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Tiplodocus

I may be wrong, but I don't think that story is a good match for his frantic, kinetic style.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

TordelBack

The Eiffel Tower crumples under their feathered weight...
A mid-western farmer ushers his tousle-haired dungaree-wearing family into a storm-cellar as a cloud of birds lift his rusty tractor aloft while an abandoned line of washing flaps against a wing-darkened sky...
A swooping pan reveals the torch of the Statue of Liberty to be replaced by a giant nest...
A cloud of whirring starlings adopts a hulking mannish shape and stomps through the Kaaba at Mecca scattering the devout...

You know you want it.

Goaty

Professor Bear

Wasn't Hitchcock a notorious control freak who had issues with women that manifested as a feud with his actresses on-set?  Bay could never be him, etc...

Ghost MacRoth

I haven't read the piece, but the title has pissed me off greatly.  Hitchcock was a master of filmmaking, Bay is a purveyor of bubble gum for the brain.  Poles apart.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Dudley

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 13 March, 2014, 03:18:53 PM
I haven't read the piece, but the title has pissed me off greatly.  Hitchcock was a master of filmmaking, Bay is a purveyor of bubble gum for the brain.  Poles apart.

Yep, that's how irony works.

von Boom

To be retitled Birds: Rise of the Avian.

Frank

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 13 March, 2014, 03:18:53 PM

Bay's only one of the producers:

QuoteVariety reports that the film will be directed by the Dutch film-maker Diederik Van Rooijen, with Bay serving as a co-producer.

As a producer, he has an established track record of churning out perfectly functional but forgettable remakes of marquee name horror IPs. I can, therefore, safely ignore the information that this film is even being made without worrying it might be something I'll bother to watch one day.

Ghost MacRoth

As you point out yourself Sauchie, it makes no odds if he directs, or produces, he still sucks.  Just had a look at his IMDB page to remind myself of the junk he has shat into cinematic history.  Pearl Harbour. Armageddon.  The Hitcher (remake).  Wow. He will be remembered long after his death, eh.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Professor Bear

Much as I like to stick the boot into Bay's oeuvre as much as anyone else, I must take exception to knocking Pearl Harbor - I saw it years after it was forgotten by all and sundry and sat there with a big grin on my face for most of it.  It is a total hoot of a film that is a far, far better spoof of Hollywood than most films that set out to be so by design.
The Transformers films are likewise masterpieces if you come at them from the right angle, like that bit in the first one where the giant robots are trying to hide behind bushes and stuff so that someone's parents won't see them, and all you'll think during the five hours this scene takes is "Oh no!  If only those giant robots HAD SOME SORT OF DISGUISE."

von Boom

Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 March, 2014, 06:52:05 PM
The Transformers films are likewise masterpieces if you come at them from the right angle,

The right angle.

Ghost MacRoth