Main Menu

Taika Waititi to direct and Krysty Wilson-Cairns to write new Star Wars

Started by CalHab, 05 May, 2020, 09:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce

Coming off the back of the rather good The Mandalorian, I am now interested in new Star Wars material. This sounds really promising! Wilson-Cairns is a very interesting choice and I'm really happy to see how fast her star has risen.

TordelBack

Loooong road ahead for these guys to getting a SW film on the big screen. But such talent!  Looking forward to the Cassian series too, he was the best character in R1 - just not sure it can be a cheery watch and still leavexists him where we find him

Not wanting to derail, but was just thinking I'd love to let see Andrew Stanton get a crack at one too. Recent rewatch reminds me that John Carter is a terrific example of mixing wide-screen FX-heavy action with likeable characters, and working hard to represent an extensive existing world. Unfortunately it's also the big reason why it's never going to happen.

CalHab

John Carter was an interesting failure. I really feel like it was a hostage to its budget. Under the best of circumstances it would really have struggled to make enough of a return to be a "success".

TordelBack

Quote from: CalHab on 05 May, 2020, 11:34:42 AM
John Carter was an interesting failure. I really feel like it was a hostage to its budget.

And pretty appalling marketing, and being another desert-based SF movie. I'm sure the financers of The Princess Bride might have cautioned against calling it A Princess of Mars, but anything vaguely interesting-sounding would have been better than the zero-public-recognition 'John Carter' - not least as he spends more than half the movie being called Virginia or Dotar Sojat. 

It really should have been a hit - re-watching it this week we were all chuckling along at Woola's antics, Tars Tarka's Prince Vultan/Tormund Giantsbane stylings, and John's well-handled transformation through incessant frustrations from near-suicidal monomaniac to big-hearted hero.  It's good stuff, the 19th C framing sequences give it a unique flavour, and those airship battles truly are glorious... Add it to the Dredd 2012 pile, just not a good year for being a good movie.

Meanwhile, on topic, what sort of film are we imagining Taika and Wilson-Cairns will come up with? I haven't seen 1917 yet, but it clearly had a screenplay that handled long choreographed action sequences, something that Thor: Ragnarok seemed to avoid, in favour of clever setups and almost-static heroic imagery before cutting away.  And can SW easily absorb Taika's style of knowing humour, or are we heading for another Solo-type clash of intentions? 

The news that Russian Doll's Leslye Headland is lined up for a TV series is also interesting.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 May, 2020, 12:01:41 PM
And pretty appalling marketing, and being another desert-based SF movie. I'm sure the financers of The Princess Bride might have cautioned against calling it A Princess of Mars, but anything vaguely interesting-sounding would have been better than the zero-public-recognition 'John Carter' - not least as he spends more than half the movie being called Virginia or Dotar Sojat. 

Personally the only reason I knew the name was down to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...