Main Menu

Round 1: 4 - Al Ewing or Dan Abnett - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 May, 2020, 07:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Dan Abnett. I genuinely dont think there's another writer like him. Hes responsible for three of my all time favourite Thrills- SiniDex, Brink and Lawless- as well as literally scores of other comics I absolutely love. If it came down to a Mills vs Abnett final, I think I might be forced to create a new fake profile in order to assuage my conscience and vote for both.

SBT

Colin YNWA

This one is hard, but get it wrong and you might make Mr YNWA cry, do you want to make Mr YNWA cry, do you? If not then vote before tomorrow (Tuesday) morning and use your vote wisely!

CalHab

Abnett, there's just so much good stuff there. Ewing did (does?) great stuff for the prog, but he hasn't been nearly as prolific as Abnett.

Rogue Judge

Dan Abnett...Lawless, Kindom and Insurrection. Some of my all time favorite Thrills!

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

I, Cosh

Another heartbreaking heavyweight contest here. Ewing is an excellent writer with a small but almost perfectly formed body of work. In the other corner a droid who is writing the best work of his career thirty years in!

Winner: Dan Abnett.
We never really die.

Dudley

Abnett.  With a heavy heart - I do love me some Al Ewing.  But Abnett.

Colin YNWA

Well done  Dudley got in just before voting finished but as of now

VOTING CLOSED - but feel free to add votes and comments but the call is made.

Vote 3 and 4 where real heart breakers Al Ewing's work is so strong, his Dredd note perfect and Zombo one of the most missed thrills in YNWA Towers. Come on Al Marvel doesn't need you, but we do!

Well we do ... except we have Titans like Dabnett, with Legions of thrills lost or otherwise, he would be the Annihilation of many a great writer, taking the Warhammer of his writing to them. I used to say I have 5 all time favourite writers, since Lawless and Brink joined favourite thrills like Sinister Dexter, Kingdom and (nu)VCs I now list 6 and the 6th is the winner of this vote

Dan Abnett

robprosser

Tiplodocus

Glad I missed this as it would have been an evil choice to make.

Both fantastic writers.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tomwe

Dan Abnett wins - love Ewing's work but Abnett has been on a winning streak since I returned to the prog. Brink, Lawless etc.