Main Menu

FINAL!!! Favourite CLASSIC art droid Carlos Ezquerra or Cam Kennedy

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 February, 2021, 06:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Remove Cam's contribution to the prog, you have a terrible gap n the comic.

Remove Carlos's and you simply have no comic

Carlos

Heath C Ackley

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

YIKE! Didn't do a last call - maybe I didn't want the whole thing to end!

Well we have to so really last chance folks as this one will close in the morning. This has all been so much fun I will genuinely be sad when its over...

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 February, 2021, 05:48:19 PM
This has all been so much fun I will genuinely be sad when its over...

Yes, thanks so much for running these contests! They have been a blast. Any plans for what's next?

Rogue Judge

I love this time traveling part of the Ragnarok Job storyline. Wulf in full viking mode! Time grenades! Trolls & dragons! Ezquerra goodness:

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 11 February, 2021, 06:04:25 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 February, 2021, 05:48:19 PM
This has all been so much fun I will genuinely be sad when its over...

Yes, thanks so much for running these contests! They have been a blast. Any plans for what's next?

Yep "Dredd Epics Ranked - Better" or DER-B is coming very soon. Still some logistics and prep to do but slowly getting there. So next week we'll have a like precurser to something a big bigger I have place - with a Favourite Art Droid Champion of Champions type thing. But that will be very short and sweet.

sixmo

So many choices have been bloody difficult all the way through the competition. The first couple of progs of 2000AD I was ever exposed to included Carlos Ezquerra and Cam Kennedy art. Mindblowing stuff as a young fella. Their storytelling, their characters, their worlds: all top notch and the standard by which all others are judged. Their environments had real weight and they both could switch from comedy to tragedy with a master's ease.
I can't split them. I asked my young fella who he would pick as the top 2000AD artist at the very beginning of this brilliant competition and he just said without blinking: "It's Carlos". He's right, but my *favourite* art droid pick is going to to be swayed by my love of the underdog. So the man who is underdog in this contest and who brought to life so many great 2000AD underdogs: Jacob Sardini, Two Ton Tony Tubbs, Chopper, and of course Kenny Who? is going to be my choice for this ultimate competition: Cam Kennedy is my pick.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

BANG - SHOWER OF TINSEL - GIANT TROPHY - CROWD GOES WILD

Well what a fun thing that was and at the end there was really like doubt about the winner. Someone (Greg M I think (?) - where for are thou Greg) said why I'd included Carlos when I'd excluded John Wagner in the writers tourney and while I knew Carlos would be a favourite but art is so subjective that I genuinely wasn't convinced he had it in the bag. He's the most influencial artist without doubt, but do folks think he's the best... well over all its a resounding yes!!!! And

CARLOS EZQUERRA

Has resoundingly been voted the boards favourite Classic artist.

And wow what a comprehensive victory this has been. He's literally won votes against all the other artists I thought had a realistic chance of winning this competition on the way - the draw has been cruel - but nothing could stop him and that is testament to the artistic talent of the man. I've been blown away by the response in support of our now undisputed KING.

Let's not lose sight of Cam Kennedy however. He got more votes coming up against Carlos then anyone. Has had won votes against some unbelievable talent and for me is utter deserving of his second place. Even here against a talent so fair ahead of the field so many of the individual calls have been marked as close and its only the unstoppable that has stopped him I imagine.

broodblik

Two great artists. What a privilege two have witness these two great artists careers.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

I, Cosh

I vote for the man who shot the Manfred Fox tunnel backwards.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

I voted Cam, but it was always going to be Carlos, wasn't it?  And I don't mind one bit that he beat my choice.  An absolute legend and one of the cornerstones of 2000ad and British comics in general. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sixmo

Great contest. Great winner. Well done for organizing this Colin YNWA!

broodblik

Let me add my voice here thanks Colin for this great tourney.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 12 February, 2021, 11:41:55 AM
Let me add my voice here thanks Colin for this great tourney.

And me.
Cheers for organizing this Colin - even though the outcome could have been predicted by an algorithm running on a circa 1987 Casio watch, it was great fun.