Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Quote from: Skullmo on 01 April, 2015, 08:53:32 PM
Arrived home to my copies of Mandroid and the Heavies tonight - both gorgeous books and really well packed this time! :D :D :D

Mwa ha ha April Fools!

Nothing really came  :'(
It's a joke. I was joking.

robert_ellis

I thought Emerald Isle material being reprinted was the April Fool! You got me Skullmo! Really enjoyed the podcast - great to hear Kev Walker

COMMANDO FORCES

Popped into Smiths yesterday and noticed that there were only 5 copies of the latest issue in the area where they've been stacked.

robert_ellis

Cracked and bought Mandroid in WHSmiths - I'll have to cancel my subscription. Book looks great & has s great intro & piece on vigilantes. Great art, cover & end papers!

Super Mario

I've never read Mandroid before, it's well depressing.

robert_ellis

The first Mandroid is really impressive - very much in the tone of the movie. Love it

TordelBack

Wow, haven't read Mandroid since it ran, it really is a breathtakingly bleak story, with some marvellous reflections from a Dredd who stuffs this one up big time. In light of recent stories, it's interesting to see the comment about the role/lack of Block Judges too.

Walker's art here is truly incredible, and I found the transition through Coleby to Critchlow rather neatly done, in large part due to some skilful colouring.  Stylistically i don't think Carl was the right choice for the final parts (he hadn't quite reached his current heights or maybe there's just a bit too much Lobster Random in there, I don't know), but there's no denying the quality of the work. 

Bad Mother is a one-note strip that I could do without reading again, even though it's Cam, and I haven't got round to Escape from Atlantis yet - there's really a hell of a lot in these things for your groat! 

Molcher's article on vigilantes in Dredd is a substantial piece and generally excellent - lots of stuff I'd forgotten or missed, and well illustrated.  Well worth its pages.

And as ever the cover and production are beautiful.

Judge Nutmeg

Mandroid is a great story, was'nt too keen on the sequel think it would have been better with slaughterhouse back as a lone vigilante although it has a great closing line about the changing nature of Dredd.

Magnetica

IndigoPrime

According to Hachette, [spoiler]The Heavy Mob, a compilation of 'special forces' stories, and The Cursed Earth[/spoiler].

Dark Jimbo

As revealed a couple of pages back. Book 7:

Holocaust 12 (54 pages)
Brit-Cit Brute (39 pages)
Wynter (9 pages)
Father Earth (24 pages)
Debris (30 pages)
Warzone (48 pages)
@jamesfeistdraws

Jade Falcon

Never read ANY of the stories in Mandroid before and I must admit to really enjoying it, in a depressing way.  You really feel for Slaughterhouse in a lot of this book because he really is a victim of circumstamces.  q
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Mardroid

I've read the second Mandroid story,  but the first it's before my time. I'm rather looking forward to it.

robert_ellis

I loved Bad Mother. Great Cam Kennedy art and a premise which could have been throwaway but was used to great effect. Amazing to see a classic artist still providing the thrills. Really impressed with the choice of stories so far & the mix of classic & less familiar material. I've cancelled my subscription just because I can't wait to get these books from WHSmiths.

Spikes

I see we now have our first consecutively numbered books, and the first glimpse of spines matching up, with Mechanismo (book 24), and Mandroid (book 25).