Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 13 February, 2013, 06:23:25 PM
Regarding 'Flight' no one on the IMDb boards has responded to my post so here it is for you all to enjoy : When Denzil's alarm goes off it's showing 7:14 - 'Flight 714' is a Tintin book - a coincidence? Hardly likely!

Absolutely everyone on IMDB is a cunt. Nice spot, Buttoneer.

Hawkmumbler

Xtro (1983)- A video nasties classic! Wonderfully surreal atmosphere and imagery, it's also a flipside to ET (Not all aliens are freindly!-tag line) and some really great minimalistic effects that, in conjunction with creepy score and superb use of lighting make's you 'see' more than you really do. Genuinly frightening at times also, not easy. An instant favourate of mine.

strangelysaucy

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 February, 2013, 10:10:06 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 February, 2013, 08:35:45 PM
I have missed that particular review style and though I'd try resurrect it.

Had a nice day out at the pictures yesterday and this is what I saw.

The Silver Linings Playbook. Silver Linings Gaybook more like.

Zero Dark Thirty. Zero Wank Thirty more like.

Jack Reacher. A Colossal Pile of Shit more like.

I'm a big fan of your reviewing style :D
props, scribbles and fiddle-aboutery - https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy

Mabs

I watched Madagascar 3 with my son last night, and had a big laugh while doing so! Part of the reason being the big bear character called Sonya. You see he has a cousin, a 3 year old girl called Sonya. And everytime Sonya the bear popped up on screen he burst out laughing; "dad, Sonya (his cousin) wishes she was a princess, what if she see's Madagascar and finds out she's turned into a big hairy bear?" lol. Kids.  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

MR. ELIMINATOR

Watched the Hit. Quite good.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mabs on 14 February, 2013, 04:41:40 PM
I watched Madagascar 3 with my son last night, and had a big laugh while doing so! Part of the reason being the big bear character called Sonya. You see he has a cousin, a 3 year old girl called Sonya. And everytime Sonya the bear popped up on screen he burst out laughing; "dad, Sonya (his cousin) wishes she was a princess, what if she see's Madagascar and finds out she's turned into a big hairy bear?" lol. Kids.  :lol:

awww, that's cute. He'll be teasing her with that for weeks!

Mabs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 February, 2013, 09:00:23 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 14 February, 2013, 04:41:40 PM

awww, that's cute. He'll be teasing her with that for weeks!

I know! And i doubt his aunt'll be too pleased!  :-X :D

Its a joy watching a film with him, some of the stuff he just comes out with - and he only turned five the other day.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

Two days ago i watched Hellboy 2 on Blu-ray. Man, how gorgeous it looks... seems strange, but i'm completely identified by Hellboy and Abe. Their "margination" from humanity, their lonelyness... i found them more "human" than most people i know. Del Toro made a good job with these two movies. I've read some Hellboy stories here and there, but i'm gonna get soon BPRD and Hellboy comics once and for all.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Mabs

Quote from: Basilisk on 14 February, 2013, 11:04:46 PM
Two days ago i watched Hellboy 2 on Blu-ray. Man, how gorgeous it looks... seems strange, but i'm completely identified by Hellboy and Abe. Their "margination" from humanity, their lonelyness... i found them more "human" than most people i know. Del Toro made a good job with these two movies. I've read some Hellboy stories here and there, but i'm gonna get soon BPRD and Hellboy comics once and for all.

My favourite moment in the film: a drunk Abe and Hellboy singing along to Barry Manilow.....brilliant!  :D

The look of the film is also really beautiful; especially the Mos Eisley Cantinaesque/ H.P Lovecraft inspired Troll Market scene. Absolutely breathtaking.

You have to read the Hellboy comics esp. the BPRD Collection, some of the best stuff i've encountered over the years.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

Yep. "I can't smile without you..."... :lol:

Fortunately(or not, for my bank account :lol: ), there are deluxe editions of both Hellboy and BPRD here. Norma editorial has released two omnibuses of HB and one of BPRD. I'm gonna get them soon. They're waiting for the sixth Library Edition HC of Hellboy to release their third omnibus.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Frank

The Dark Knight Rises, which wasn't anywhere near as rotten as some of you lot lead me to expect. It's just Batman Forever with ideas, but I thought Bane was the most hilarious villain I've seen on screen. The disparity between how he looks and how he speaks is endlessly entertaining, and I can't stop doing the voice and quotes. I'm glad Nolan finally took the stick (halfway) out his arse and made something as funny as the character's Sixties screen incarnation.

HdE

Quote from: sauchie on 15 February, 2013, 06:00:44 PM
The Dark Knight Rises, which wasn't anywhere near as rotten as some of you lot lead me to expect. It's just Batman Forever with ideas, but I thought Bane was the most hilarious villain I've seen on screen. The disparity between how he looks and how he speaks is endlessly entertaining, and I can't stop doing the voice and quotes.

TRUTH!

I bought all three of the recent Bat-movies mainly for my old man, who USED to sneer at my interest and efforts at working in comics. However, he's alays been a huge Bat-fan, so it seemed like a clever trick to get him on-side. It worked!

BUT - Bane has been possibly the most imitated movie character of the last decade at HdE towers since we sat down to watch 'Rises'. Cups of tea are offered in his ridiculous voice. Mundane requests are made while holding onto the lapels of our jackets, in sinister tones.

I think we've had more fun with Bane OFF screen than on it!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

TordelBack

Quote from: Mabs on 14 February, 2013, 11:21:31 PM
The look of the film is also really beautiful; especially the Mos Eisley Cantinaesque/ H.P Lovecraft inspired Troll Market scene. Absolutely breathtaking.

Just recently saw HB2 for the first time a few weeks back, and I have to agree with these sentiments.  Excellent, excellent film, huge buckets of style and heart. 

I was a little disappointed by the 'we're going to the Giant's Causeway' but then actually go somewhere else entirely bit, but that was the full extent of my criticisms.  The kind of movie where you instantly lament the absence of another instalment even before the credits roll. 

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 February, 2013, 08:01:26 PM
I was a little disappointed by the 'we're going to the Giant's Causeway' but then actually go somewhere else entirely bit. 

Yeah, it looked like they'd gone round the corner to avoid the wind, strange, considering how much better it could've looked with Hellboy re-posing Houses of the Holy...Mexicans and Pat Mills do Irish Mythology so much better than ourselves...otherwise it's a class film that just about made enough money to keep taunts of a concluding chapter and an appropriate break in Del Toro's schedule, alive.

Hopefully Pedestrian Rim blows-up at the box-office and Del Toro gets the greenlights lit for a one-two punch of At the Mountains of Madness & Hellboy III.

Richmond Clements

All down to money from what I heard - they didn't have the budget to come to NI.
Still, I saw it in Belfast and it got a cheer when they mentioned it!