Main Menu

Meg 460: Prepare for War

Started by Tjm86, 17 September, 2023, 04:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 September, 2023, 10:58:54 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 September, 2023, 08:19:47 PMAnderson was a lovely looking fun distraction. Assuming that is Wolfie Smith (it kinda feels like it is) did someone just misread the brief? Any way decent fun.

Wolfie is a bonus — the Battle/Action tie-in is The Fists of Jimmy Chang who, per Alec's script, is "an unashamed Bruce Lee clone created by Eric Bradbury and Scott Goodall and who debuted in Battle Action in 1982 and has been completely forgotten ever since."

Which seems accurate since he was certainly forgotten by me and (apparently) by you as well. ;)

Which would suggest I'd ever heard of them in the first place! Good to know - thanks Jim.

The Monarch

So basically battle action trying to cash in on the late 70s early 80s kung fu craze? man i kinda wanna read the original now thats my bag

broodblik

Quote from: The Monarch on 22 September, 2023, 08:20:19 AMSo basically battle action trying to cash in on the late 70s early 80s kung fu craze? man i kinda wanna read the original now thats my bag

Now that I know about this strip I would like a collection of it.

Here is a few  covers:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

So, this is COMIC no room here for anything except strip-after-strip. When was the last time you could grab a comic and just read it from end-to-end? This was a magnificent meg jam-packed with great stories.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

scrotnig

Best Meg in at least a decade - and that's a high bar.
Same view of the corresponding Prog.

Had no idea this stuff would work so well. What a wonderful surprise it's been.

I wasn't even that heavily into Battle back in the day, (couldn't afford too many comics and Tooth always took priority!) so all the strips have to some degree had to stand on their own merits for me, rather than relying solely on nostalgia - and they do.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

A.Cow

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 September, 2023, 08:19:47 PMAnderson was a lovely looking fun distraction. Assuming that is Wolfie Smith (it kinda feels like it is) did someone just misread the brief? Any way decent fun.

Hadn't noticed the Wolfie Smith tribute first time through.  Now you mention it, it's bleedin' obvious -- especially with references to "The Wolf" and the "Freedom for Tooting" T-shirt (nice nod to the other Wolfie Smith).

Funt Solo

Metta Lawson says "Oh, y'know, plus ca drokkin' change."

Does anyone know what that means? I can't parse it at all.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Fortnight

"Plus ça change"

An expression of resignation.

As in "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" - what goes around, comes around"

Funt Solo

Quote from: Fortnight on 08 January, 2024, 01:29:53 AM"Plus ça change"

Ah - thanks! Like a giraffe, that went entirely over my head. The little cedilla would at least have given me a clue, if they'd used one.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++