Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - pauljholden

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216
3211
Creative Common / Re: Analysis of Scojo's FS
« on: 27 October, 2001, 02:31:21 AM »
I'd agree with all of that Dante.


3212
General / Re: scojo states the facts about his screenplay
« on: 27 October, 2001, 12:22:08 AM »

I cut and pasted it from my email to the message box.

As far as being in a minority of 1. Well, you'll find Milo wasn't too impressed (although he hasn't stated this publicly) and I'm pretty sure you'll get more reactions in the negative soon enough...

Also, it was a future shock script, NOT a screenplay.

3213
General / Re: Scojo's future shock.
« on: 26 October, 2001, 11:06:26 PM »
So there. Apparently scojo only wants to here people pander to his ego, if you're of an don't agree that he is, indeed, mighty then even if he asks for your opinion, he doesn't want it.

That didn't make ANY sense did it? d'oh.

Here it is again:

Apparently scojo only wants to hear people pander to his ego. If you don't agree that he is, indeed, mighty then, even if he asks for your HONEST opinion, he doesn't want it.

3214
General / Scojo's future shock.
« on: 26 October, 2001, 11:02:05 PM »
Okay, without wanting to post the whole thing it boils down to this:

Marines (from the film aliens) attack a planet with aliens who use nest. There is a big battle alien and marine fighting to the death. The last remaining marine decides to detonate a nuclear bomb so he plants a bomb and...

And here I'll quote the text from the future shock:
Page 5

1]
Close up of marine placing globe to the glass chamber. It sticks to the glass. On the globe, the words - Nuclear Armament Class D. Next to the globe is a small white card attached to the glass with cellotape.

2]
Marine 21 takes hold of the card.
Marine 21 (thinking): What's this?

3]
Close up on card. It reads-
From Nest Mother,
Sorry but I had to pop out for a few days. Visit the relatives, you know. Haven't seen them in ages. And you know what they are like.

4]
Close up on Marine 21, incredulous.
Marine 21: Eh?

5]
Close on letter again. It carries on from previous line.
Oh yes, before I forget...don't forget to feed the cat.

6]
Close up on a whimpering white cat rubbing itself against the marine's leg.
Cat: Meeaaaww!

===
Scojo asked for my HONEST opinion, and I gave it.

Here's my original response:

> In my honest opinion it was pretty poor.
>
> You've used a section of the aliens story and tried to
> build to some sort of climax but when it came to the
> end it was fairly dull.
>
> A good future shock has an unexpected ending BUT if
> you re-read the future shock you find that the ending
> was telegraphed early on. The end of this story came
> out of nowhere - you may as well have written "And the
> Marine turned into an orange" it makes no sense.
>
> The dialogue is equally duff.
>
> I'm sorry, I had hoped to be pleasently surprised, or
> at least have seen something in this that would have
> pointed to some sort of ability as a writer, but
> really, if this is the best of your future shocks you
> need to seriously rethink your writing abilities.
>
Here was scojo's response:

I think you fail to appreciate the juxtaposition between the cruel fight between alien and human and the fact that all the mother alien wanted was for the human to look after the cat.

It is called irony. Having the marine turn to orange as an example is a ridiculous rebuke of my work.

===========
I then posted:

> I was suggesting that having the alien nip out to see
> it's relatives was such an out of the blue thing it
> would be comparable to any totally random event, like
> the Marine turning into an orange. It's completely
> unexpected and has no logical baring on the what's
> happened in the story.
...
Scojo:

The fact that you do not understand why the mother alien writes what she did, proves you didn't get my future shock.

It is called IRONY.

That was the purpose of the out of the blue ending.
Look up the word in the dictionary if it will help.

I wrote:
> Usage Note: The words ironic, irony, and ironically
> are sometimes used of events and circumstances that
> might better be described as simply "coincidental" or
> "improbable," in that they suggest no particular
> lessons about human vanity or folly.
>
> What you've written would be better described as
> "improbable" NOT ironic. Irony would be if the marines
> had gone to war with the aliens out of the expectation
> that the aliens were hostile but they were in fact
> friendly. But, as your aliens activly fight the
> marines there's no irony involved.
>
> But since your reaction to HONEST criticism that
> YOU'VE asked for is to insult me, then I've no wish to
> continue this conversation in private. If you send ANY
> MORE private emails I WILL POST THEM TO THE NOTICE
> BOARD, along with enough background information so
> that people can understand them in context.

And he wrote:
You fail to understand the term.

According to the definition in my dictionary:
Irony is - " incongruity between what is expected and what actually is,
or a
situation or result showing such an incongruity"
Collins English Dictionary.

That describes my future shock.

So yet again you are wrong.

I have nothing to hide.
Post this email.

======================

So there. Apparently scojo only wants to here people pander to his ego, if you're of an don't agree that he is, indeed, mighty then even if he asks for your opinion, he doesn't want it.

3215
General / Re: Re: something to do whilst bored
« on: 28 October, 2001, 03:19:50 AM »
Is that what they call a Rennie-sance?

*groan*

Have to admit this months previews does seem to be fairly Rennie packed.

I can't stand his work, and I know Milo hates the guy.

3216
General / Re: scojo and mrcomicus
« on: 26 October, 2001, 10:50:09 PM »
get back to your drawing table... if you're lucky scojo may send you a copy of his script and you can draw it when your magenta marker finally runs out.

3217
Other Reviews / Re: What's in a superhero?
« on: 26 October, 2001, 11:16:18 PM »
Where's Nads when you need her.

I tend to go with unique individual who's working outside the laws.

Which covers vigilantes. So I'd add, must wear spandex.

Billy the Cat was a superhero, then, wasn't he? And General Dumbo?

3218
General / Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: scojo's eighth circle of hell
« on: 26 October, 2001, 10:27:57 PM »
"I can write better than Rennie without a pen.

Not given the evidence I've seen. Still, I'd be interested to see someone take your keyboard away.

3219
General / Re: Re: Re: scojo's eighth circle of hell
« on: 26 October, 2001, 10:23:01 PM »
heh. And what about Necronauts?

As I've said before, 2000AD is a WEEKLY comic. If you can only produce one amazing script every six years you're no use as a comic writer.

I would note though, that even Rennie his worst has been several million times better than that single future shock you sent me.


3220
General / Re: scojo's eighth circle of hell
« on: 26 October, 2001, 10:10:53 PM »
That's because Gordon can write something every week for years, how many wannabe writers can do that?

3221
General / Re: Re: Re: hey Mark xiii, mrcomicus hated my future shock!
« on: 26 October, 2001, 10:24:22 PM »
Irony is thinking you're the greatest living writer in the world while, in fact, you're the most untalented wannabe in creation.

3222
General / Re: Re: Re: Those bloody Dredd movies...
« on: 26 October, 2001, 06:23:27 PM »
I'd like to read it. I've been banging on and on about wanting to see a STORY not an IDEA. I'd like to read one of your screenplays, it'll show me if you deserve your arrogance or not.

3223
General / Re: Those bloody Dredd movies...
« on: 26 October, 2001, 06:04:55 PM »
scojo, I'd LOVE to read your screenplay,

email mrcomicus@yahoo.com


3224
General / Re: Weak arguments milo and mrcomicus
« on: 26 October, 2001, 06:21:23 AM »
You are correct that a pitch is a broad outline of a story.

You are incorrect to think what you've posted are pitchs.

You're also wrong about why I criticise you (and Milo). The reason you're coming in for so much flak is because of YOUR INSISTENCE OF YOUR OWN GREATNESS.

Honestly, if you tried to be a little more humble maybe we could all enjoy ourselves in here.

---
I can say there is no emotional ties because your "pitch" didn't have any. THIS is what a pitch should look like:

===========================
MegaCity 1:

Death arrives and warps out the local orphanage. Dredd investigates and realises the only way save them is to go to Deadworld.

Deathworld is a dangerous, desolate place. Many Probes have been sent, but nothing has returned can only one man do it? Dredd insists, he wants the city to be fully protected in case Death comes back. But What does Death want with the Children?

Dredd warps into Deathworld and makes his way to the only structure still standing. The Hall of Death.

Inside he discovers what's been happening. Death has been artifically aging the childrens bodies to make a new army of Necro-Judges A process that will only work on children (that's a movie fudge ;)

But Dredd is too late, time moves differently in Deadworld. Now Dredd has to either destroy the Hall of Death and all of the Necro-Judges or return to MegaCity 1 and warn the City.

One plucky survivor is found, her name is Vienna, and she looks strangly familiar.

=================

There you go, I've taken your single idea and fleshed it out. I don't profess that it's any good, but at least it's more complete. And people will find it easier to judge my writing abilities based on that single story than all the millions of one line notions that you chuck out. THAT is what YOU should be doing.  You have yet to prove you can do the same, despite your Arrogant boasts ("I can write better than any 2000AD writer", etc).

(BTW: Vienna is Dredd's niece)

3225
General / Re: Re: Scojo - A legend in his own lunchtime
« on: 26 October, 2001, 04:43:49 AM »
"I don't care what you think. The proof is in the eating.

"I will write my Dredd screenplay and you are welcome to read it.

Hang on, I'm confused, do we eat the screenplay?

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216