Main Menu

Stupid things people have actually said to you.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 October, 2004, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

A work colleague, viewing some of my photographs on a tiny smartphone screen: "Wow, these are great photographs, you must have a really good camera!"  ::)

---

After having a perfectly reasonable conversation with a customer about their personal pension plan, the conversation proceeds in a slightly bizarre direction:

Customer: Thanks. Also, I have a policy with <well known insurance company>, I need to ask you some questions about it.

Me: I'm sorry sir, I can't really help you, it's a different company.

Customer: No, but I just have some questions, it won't take long.

Me: It's a policy with a different company sir, I can't tell you anything about it.

Customer: It doesn't matter, you can bring it up on your computer screen.

Me: Err, no I can't.

Customer: Why not?

Me: We don't have any access to policies with other companies, sir. You will have to phone them direct.

Customer (angrily): Okay, well, thanks for nothing then! (hangs up).

:o

Mark Taylor

Also, one I just remembered, in a certain well known chain store that happens to stock a range of plastic storage boxes.

Me: I need a box to store some old 12 inch LPs.

Assistant: Okay, how large are they?

:lol:

JamesC

My dad used to work in a local hardware shop and was once famously asked: 'Will this hose reach to the end of my garden?'

His response was 'Go away, think about what you've just said and then come back to me'.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 May, 2013, 11:06:31 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 24 May, 2013, 10:32:24 AM
Magnificent.  Reminds me of my father-in-law who can't drive past a 'Heavy Plant Crossing' sign without shouting 'look out, Triffids!'.
This was a favourite in my family too. Right up there with complaining at the lack of variety at the zoo as every enclosure was labelled "These animals are dangerous." [Pronounced to rhyme with the boxing marsupial.]

Stop taking MY family anecdotes to use as your own!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 07 June, 2013, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 24 May, 2013, 11:06:31 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 24 May, 2013, 10:32:24 AM
Magnificent.  Reminds me of my father-in-law who can't drive past a 'Heavy Plant Crossing' sign without shouting 'look out, Triffids!'.
This was a favourite in my family too. Right up there with complaining at the lack of variety at the zoo as every enclosure was labelled "These animals are dangerous." [Pronounced to rhyme with the boxing marsupial.]

Stop taking MY family anecdotes to use as your own!

And mine...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rog69

I was on a training course last week and the instructor noticed a 3d cad model of a dragon skull on my laptop screen. He asked if it was a scan of a real skull or just something made in a cad package  :o.

Emp

Overheard several women talking in work today about the egg throwing incident on BGT, when one of them asked the following.

"Were they cooked?"

Why this was of concern I still can't work out!

Mind you the same woman when using the phonetic alphabet today decided on "x for xylophone :D

Mardroid

Quote from: Emp on 10 June, 2013, 06:08:14 PM
Overheard several women talking in work today about the egg throwing incident on BGT, when one of them asked the following.

"Were they cooked?"

Why this was of concern I still can't work out!

Maybe she was worried poor Simon got a bruise.

(Yes, I watched it. I don't usually, but I was at a friends out and they wanted to watch it. Not that it was bad to watch. I quite liked the ventriloquist.)

Taryn Tailz

Heard by me whilst queing in Edinburgh Waverly branch of Burger King.

Customer: Can I have some brown sauce please?

Staff: Sorry we've ran out.

Customer: Do you have any tomato sauce?

Staff: Yep, here you go.

Customer: I don't want any tomato sauce.

Staff (to me after customer had left): Why ask then?

JamesC

Couple of classics from our cleaner at work.

Telling a joke -

'There was this woman and she was waiting for a lift...no, hang on,that's wrong...it wasn't a woman and she wasn't waiting for a lift'.

A general inquiry -

'James, you like things don't you'

I like some things - less keen on others!

Richmond Clements

Just been listening to Tommy Robinson of the EDL doing a phone in on the Asian Network and now have far too many stupid things someone has said to report...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 June, 2013, 11:54:02 AM
Just been listening to Tommy Robinson of the EDL doing a phone in on the Asian Network and now have far too many stupid things someone has said to report...
Oh aye. Mind bendingly simple, that "chap" be.

Sideshow Bob

My daughter and her ( now ) husband, were out hill-walking last year,  up to the top of Ben Lomond ( in  Scotland )...
After about an hours' walk she began to get really tired,  and said......
" Is it uphill all the way to the top ???  "... ::)
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

TordelBack

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 16 June, 2013, 09:38:14 PM
" Is it uphill all the way to the top ???  "... ::)

Oh I've been up plenty of mountains that were uphill, then downhill, then uphill, then downhill, then uphill etc.  The worst kind.

House of Usher

At an examiners' meeting....

Me: I'm applying for secondary school teaching jobs.
Teacher: What are you doing now?
Me: I'm a home tutor.
Teacher: Oh! That must be really nice.
Me: It is, but it doesn't pay well. I'd like to earn twice as much as I earn from home tutoring.
Teacher: [incredulous] So why do you want to be a school teacher???
Me: Because if I were a school teacher I'd be earning twice what I earn now.

And she's the school teacher. Your kids' education is in very safe hands. Really.
STRIKE !!!