Main Menu

Ink or Gloss?

Started by Carlsborg Expert., 17 February, 2005, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlsborg Expert.

Well deepening on this Shane, Id throw in the fact that a sketch can be an improvement on the finished article.

Funt Solo

Sorry, but I think the question is flawed.  "Black and White or Colour" is far too limited a choice.  Be there no road inbetween?  Well, obviously there is, and it's this road that Tharg walks.

Simple answer:  black & white AND colour.

The natural progression from black & white (with colour centrespread) to more and more pages of colour as time & technology moved on, reached a peak of all colour, which became, as a rule, a limitation.

As we all know, the prog then matured to a point where it was happy once again to present some stories in black & white (and there was much rejoicing, in my head anyway).

Some stories (some artists) are best in black and white.  Example:  colouring Steve Yeowell's art is often a detriment.  Leave it alone, I say.

Colour for colour's sake is foolish.  What would The Third Man be in colour?  What would Bisley's breakout work in the ABC Warriors be in colour?  I rest my case.

Back up a minute, though - what about Brashill's recent tour de force in After The Bombs?  Surely that is a wonderful example of amazing colour work? Where would Langley be without orange?  
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Carlsborg Expert.

Causing quite a stir, aren,t we, with the more sauric members of the message board.

As I see it cold and calculating is a long time dead acknowledgement of Ink. And Gloss.

What I tend to feel, more is the attempt of using modern technology to *get more story* out of the story,esp.comic art.

The effects are there to shake the page in a shaking the camera attempt to portray an action.

The judder in a games console,controller.

If we are to have such effects to allign comic art with advancement in technology, is the allegoric *Woods for trees* becoming evident.

B/W is easier to do and less complicated for the brain to administer, leaving the end result in a different mode of contentment in readers, to ,say,for example, the new swishing of paint effects.

I am probably way out on this, because the different proportions of reward reading will go in favour of the colour,product.

And if our artists do their job, simplification of the form will still be one of the greater priorities,during manupulative proceessing of the story.

my work here is done
live long and prosper.
for now  

Funt Solo

What does "sauric" mean?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Carlsborg Expert.