Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 February, 2010, 05:24:49 PM
I lost my wallet this morning. As I don't have a job at the moment, it contained all my money - £50 - which has to last me until next Friday. I was properly annoyed with myself.

Just after noon, some young fellow I've never met before rang my bell and returned the wallet, contents intact, to me. I tried to give him a fiver for his trouble but he refused it.

It's not a bad old world we live in really, is it?

ahh, that's nice. I recently found a wallet in Manchester and posted it (cash intact) to the London address on the driving licence, but I've no idea if the chap ever got it back or if he'd moved by then. Or maybe he did, but has no manners.

Lost mine once on a bus to Longsight - not the poshest part of Manchester, to be kind - and phoned the bus company on the off-chance it had been handed in. The chap on the phone asked me to hold on while he shouted to the other drivers asking if anyone had found a wallet on the 192 - I could hear them all clearly pissing themselves in the background at the absurdity of the idea!

I hate faffing with change, especially when pissed, so often hand over a  note every time I get a drink. By the end of a long evening I can barely walk for the weight of change in my pockets. But don't you hate it when your freshly laundered jeans have that just-about identifiable brown paper wad in the pocket that used to be a tenner?

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: Mikey on 03 February, 2010, 04:46:41 PM
...Mad Men is on tonight - a programme with more subtext than a library on a U Boat. And saucy ladies. Don't forget the saucy ladies.

There's never any nipples though.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

There were a couple of saucy chaps though. That was pretty cool. Variety and that.
STRIKE !!!

Dunk!

Quote...Mad Men is on tonight - a programme with more subtext than a library on a U Boat. And saucy ladies. Don't forget the saucy ladies.

Last nights made me want to be an accordion for the first time in my life.
"Trust we"

Mike Gloady

Spend enough time Parisien tourist traps (Sack Ray Couer, Not Ray Damn etc) and there'll be some saucy chick with an accordion to help you relive that feeling.  Probably.

OG-NEE-ON!  OG-NEE-ON!  *cycles off on his racist stereotype bicycle*
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 04 February, 2010, 11:58:18 AM
Spend enough time Parisien tourist traps (Sack Ray Couer, Not Ray Damn etc) and there'll be some saucy chick with an accordion to help you relive that feeling.  Probably.

OG-NEE-ON!  OG-NEE-ON!  *cycles off on his racist stereotype bicycle*

This should be posted elsewhere but when i was about 11 i went on a school daytrip to France which was my first time visiting France and i was expecting to see onion sellers on bikes everywhere and i didnt see any and when i got home i complained that that there werent any onion sellers and i was disappointed !

Cultural stereotype or not its a true story.Not convinced that its a racial stereotype though.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 04 February, 2010, 02:26:30 PM
Cultural stereotype or not its a true story.Not convinced that its a racial stereotype though.

We did have an onion seller on obligatory bike in my area. Not sure if he was actually French, though. 

I don't think I've actually seen a Max Normal pinestripe freak bowler hat type character in the UK. Maybe they exist outside of the UK in some timewarp.

Who was it that said they like going back to Ireland to get away from Irish theme pubs?

Mikey

Sack Ray couer, Not ray Damn...

Just writing that down Mike. If I gave you a map could you put a big 'x' where you find these accordian ladies? I only ask as my family are great accordiann fans always on the look out for fresh totty tunes.

...I'm home from work! It was absolutely pissing it down out there today!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mike Gloady

Yes, it's vile out. 

My dad was pleased to hear the accordion is alive and well in Paris following my first visit there as he played it himself (as did I, albeit awfully).  I was lucky enough to inherit his accordion following his death but, 10 years on, I've yet to play more than a few notes on it.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 03 February, 2010, 05:40:43 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 February, 2010, 05:24:49 PM
Just after noon, some young fellow I've never met before rang my bell and returned the wallet, contents intact, to me. I tried to give him a fiver for his trouble but he refused it.

I handed a wallet in at the local police station and they suggested that I could leave my name as the owner might want to give a reward. I didn't as there was no cash in the wallet and I didn't want to be accused of nicking any if there was some in there. Police told me it is pleasantly surprising how many valuable items are regularly handed in to them.

I was on holiday once in Holland and I lost my address book (pre-mobile phone era). I feared my one week holiday was to be wasted as I wouldn't have been able to contact friends I planned on visiting. I retraced my steps round shops trying to find it with no luck. When I got back to the flat of the mate I was staying with, the address book was in his postbox. So some helpful person found it, went through the addresses and found the most local address. Very kind of them.

I routinely carry what my wife refers to as my "nerd book"- it's a little black book full of lists of all the things I "need", comics- and- books- wise. I cross things off as I go along, and it really helps when I'm on my travels around secondhand bookshops, etc. The last page of the book has my phone number, in the vain hope that if I were to lose it, someone may try to return it to me.

Two years ago I lost it. A week later, I got a call- and my nerd book was returned to me later that day by a scary-looking teenager, who you'd've sworn would have been more likely to piss on it, stuff it up his arse, snort coke off it, then jam it in someone's throat while mugging them.

Sometimes, people are very nice indeed.

And further in the spirit of this thread: Today I got my picky bastard children to eat my patented Chocolate Chilli with Special Rice. With Apple Pie and Custard for afters.

Result.

SBT

Dandontdare

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 February, 2010, 10:31:15 PM
Two years ago I lost it. A week later, I got a call- and my nerd book was returned to me later that day by a scary-looking teenager

Many many years ago I bought a hand painted Judge Dredd tobacco tin at a festival. I lost that tin so many times, in the pub and at parties, and always thought it was gone for ever, but time after time it amazingly found it's way back to me (usually bereft of baccy and draw, but it was the tin that was most important to me).

Until one time it didn't.

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 February, 2010, 10:46:58 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 February, 2010, 10:31:15 PM
Two years ago I lost it. A week later, I got a call- and my nerd book was returned to me later that day by a scary-looking teenager

Many many years ago I bought a hand painted Judge Dredd tobacco tin at a festival. I lost that tin so many times, in the pub and at parties, and always thought it was gone for ever, but time after time it amazingly found it's way back to me (usually bereft of baccy and draw, but it was the tin that was most important to me).

Until one time it didn't.

I'll give it back if you pay £100.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

wild-seven

QuoteAnd further in the spirit of this thread: Today I got my picky bastard children to eat my patented Chocolate Chilli with Special Rice. With Apple Pie and Custard for afters.

Chocolate Chilli? I'm intrigued! Tell us more! Oh and I have a nerd book too (well it's more a very shabby looking piece of paper with lists of things I want on it but you get me right? RIGHT?)
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Mike Gloady

I have a little nerd book too.  I also have an "IMPORTANT THINGS" book.  If the contents of my coat pocket were to somehow disappear I'd be screwed.

The Legendary Shark

Mine contains the names of all the people I need to kill...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]