Main Menu

Who is "Slaine"? And why does he look like a brickie?

Started by brendan1, 24 April, 2009, 10:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan1

Remember that old photographic Eagle strip, Joe Soap? Urghhh.

Is Slaine Joe Soap with an axe?

I'm reading "Scota" and "Golamh" from c2004/5 at the moment.

Now, I'm not suggesting Langley's artwork isn't gorgeous. It is. But just how much is "art" is in it? And how much is photoshoppery?

I like much of it, but I do NOT like Slaine himself. Is Langley using photos of one of his drinking mates and adding more spikes and some red paint? Is every single Slaine posed from real life digital images of this person? Who is he?

I think in this strip Langley has perhaps edged a bit too far into the world of digitally altering photos, or am I being a Luddite? Does anyone draw ink onto paper anymore?

Does anyone really like seeing this bloke's mug as Slaine?

Proudhuff

The Mayor of the Board will be along shortly to ask all the above  ;)
DDT did a job on me

antodonnell

I do like Clints work but  I m not a huge fan of the recent Slaine, then again variety is the spice of life so it'll be refreshing to see Slaine drawn again or painted. All that photo work just takes away from the "comicness" of it all.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "antodonnell"It'll be refreshing to see Slaine drawn again or painted.

I think I'm right in saying that Slaine is pretty much done and dusted now, so as an epic swansong Langley's glorious technicolour art was rather fitting. Shame about that pointless 'Carnivale' epiogue, though.
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"
Quote from: "antodonnell"It'll be refreshing to see Slaine drawn again or painted.
I think I'm right in saying that Slaine is pretty much done and dusted now, so as an epic swansong Langley's glorious technicolour art was rather fitting. Shame about that pointless 'Carnivale' epiogue, though.
Slaine is unexpectedly back in the Prog in two weeks time.

I don't really know how Clint's photorefed art works. Does he take a separate picture for every panel or does he get a load to start with and manipulate everything else from there? I actually think the bloke's a decent fit for Slaine but the limited range of facial expressions is a bit of a problem. I don't mind that so much with the scantily clad chicks.
We never really die.

antodonnell

QuoteSlaine is unexpectedly back in the Prog in two weeks time.

:shock:  Awesome, I have been going through older progs covering all the recent Slaine stories up to Carnival. There is a massive leap in quality as time went on which is normal. I do like his technique and work. It'll be nice to get a different artist on the character for a bit. If Slaine is back soon with Langleys work that's still good news

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "The Cosh"Slaine is unexpectedly back in the Prog in two weeks time.

And that is the best news I've had all day. Week, year, whatever. Slaine, Dredd, Savage all in the same prog. Does it get any better?

Have I mentioned I went to college with Clint Langley? Haven't seen him since about 1989, but his Slaine model could well be himself, if he still looks anything like he did back then. His nickname among the girls I knew was "Mr Perfect".

Steev

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: "brendan1"Is Slaine Joe Soap with an axe?
Nope. Joe Soap got rid of his chopper something like fifteen years ago.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Goaty

Strangest, Hadnt hear anything from TS here??? lol ooh serious Slaine back in 2000AD in two weeks?

vzzbux

Hopefully Pat will kill off Slaine permanently this time (Deliberately trying to antagonise TS the new Mayor).

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Goaty"Strangest, Hadnt hear anything from TS here??? lol ooh serious Slaine back in 2000AD in two weeks?
Yep. It's hidden in the small print at the end of one of the articles in this week's Meg. I am also puzzled (and slightly disappointed) that the mayor hasn't made his feelings on the matter known to his loyal subjects.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Bloody typical... get the man a job and you never hear from him again
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "The Cosh"Slaine is unexpectedly back in the Prog in two weeks time.

That came a bit out of left field! Not sure if this is good news or not yet as I've not read any of the 'modern' Slaine stories yet(nowt since the Demonkiller). So for me this is something to look forward too. Was the creative team mentioned? Mills but who's on art I wonder? Surprised this hasn't been mentioned in 2000ad, or have I just missed it?

Van Dom

Is this real, or a wind-up (about Slaine back in 2 weeks??)
Very unusual for something like that to happen without a few weeks notice and a "Thrills of the Future" preview warning....
Dantes latest tale wraps up next week then??? I thought that was going to be a 10-12 parter......
Strange if true.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!