Main Menu

Soul Gun Warrior

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 April, 2009, 08:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Didn't remember much about this, aside from NOT remembering how good good Shaky Kane's art was (I take back all my previous comments about Shaky Kane being nothing but a Kirby rip off) but having just re-read it what fun it is. Simple as that really just really good fun.

I could also come on here and rave about Revere Book III but me coming on here saying how good I think John Smith stuff is is getting a bit tired!

Emperor

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"Didn't remember much about this, aside from NOT remembering how good good Shaky Kane's art was (I take back all my previous comments about Shaky Kane being nothing but a Kirby rip off) but having just re-read it what fun it is. Simple as that really just really good fun.

I had a read of the first story recently and thought it was really good. I know he is a real marmite issue but I feel comicdom needs the kind of off-the-wall-wildness he brings.

And Kirby? Well if you are going to take your inspiration from anyone it might as well be Kirby. Also as Jack came back and had a talk with him from beyond the grave:

QuoteDavid Hine: Now, the Kirby influence becomes more apparent in the later work. The rumours are that you had some kind of psychedelic/mystical experience that enabled you to channel the twisted dark side of Kirby's creative soul. Does Jack still speak to you from the other side?

Shaky Kane: That would be fairly accurate as well, although these things happen more on a subconscious level. I can hear Jack quite clearly saying "Make the hands bigger! Make the hands bigger!" It can be unsettling at times.

From this great interview - well worth a read:
http://www.brokenfrontier.com/columns/d ... php?id=675

Also it has been posted around here before but it is worth throwing this again:
http://comicartfans.com/searchresult.as ... aky%20Kane

He clearly understands the importance of hats - UFOs, daleks and so much more.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Great links. Just how much do I want to own a copy of "The dinosaurs are coming" - alas none on eBay today at least.

Buddy

Shaky Kane is great.. I've also been looking for his books but haven't managed to track any down at the moment.

His artwork is fantastic and the whole Kirby thing is just one aspect to his talents.

He really deserves more exposure than he gets. I'd love to see more of his stuff in 2000ad again.

Emperor

Yes I've been keeping an eye out for his comics too - perhaps the simplest thing might be someone dropping him an email.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SuperSurfer

I always liked Shaky Kane's art. Always felt he was underratted and don't care that it looked similar to Kirby art. So many artists we all rave about here started off with styles similar to other artists and in time they developed their own unique style. Good link there Emperor. Interesting to see Shaky Kane would use acetate and layers. It's very satisfying inking on acetate and painting colour on the reverse side. Tried that at college when we were doing animation (over 20 years ago!). Guess that's almost redundant know what with computers.

Darren Stephens

I was a big fan of Shakys. I imagine, if he had continued at 2000ad, his work would have evolved into something more than just a Kirby clone. Guess we will never know! I can see it now in my minds eye...Kirby on Dredd. How cool would that have been?
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

SuperSurfer

Well Shaky Kane is at the Bristol International Comics Expo so hopefully someone can let us know what he is up to these days.

Darren Stephens

This?  //http://www.shakykanezone.co.uk/ Childrens mags, among other things. Strange how things turn out!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

I, Cosh

I had never heard of Jack Kirby when I first saw Shaky Kane's art and I wish I still hadn't.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Read Soul Gun Assassin last night. While the art had progressed and got even better I felt the story was a bit stagnant (in relation to the first series) and didn't really develop things any further. Shame a fun read but a bit disappointing after the first series.

Grant Goggans

The bad guy smacks our hero in the head with the moon, and it's stagnant?

I *love* Soul Gun Warrior...

Shaky Caned

Yeah, I like Shaky too. Possibly not much of a revelation there. I loved the deliberately corny lines as much as the acid-trip pop art, too: "Enough of your decadent rhetoric!" I've been trying to squeeze that line into a conversation ever since I read it...

Buddy

The Meg should have a Shaky Kane 'graphic novel' treatment.. I'd buy that... heck, I'd buy two!