Main Menu

Defoe: 1666

Started by nomohican, 12 August, 2009, 08:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomohican

Had this drop through my letter box at the start of the week and have to say it's a really well put together book. The cover is a fantastic piece of work by Leigh Gallagher. The 'making of' on Leigh's blog makes me appreciate it all the more.

I have to say that Defoe reads a lot better in a collected edition. The early stories have references to La Voisin and Mene Tekel from the start, which i had forgotten after reading it episodically. The story builds up well at an almost frantic pace, introducing characters, inventions and historical details constantly.

Overall I think that 'Brethren of the Night' is the better story. '1666' seems a bit unfocused as it introduces so much information. 'Brethren...' on the other hand has a stronger structure, concentrating on the death of [spoiler]Fear Jones[/spoiler]and how this sets up the hunt for La Voisin.

The art is fantastic throughout. Leigh manages to squeeze so much detail into his frames that I can look through the book and see something new each time. The design sketches are also a great addition. Some interesting different looks considered for Defoe. The Guy Fawkes look is interesting.

Also the font for the journal of Gallowglass has been made larger and easier to read than in the weekly strip, which is a welcome correction.

The afterword by John Higgins is great. How made up must Leigh be?
Well, maybe that fish has a wife and family too. Did anyone think of that?
I mean, I don't think I've got the right to kill someone's daddy, do I? Even if it is a fish.

Zombo

Dark Jimbo

There's a funny review of this on Amazon -

QuoteI was tipped off about this by a friend who thought I may be interested in work by a female illustrator. In a male dominated industry, and one which largely caters for a male audience, it was fascinating to see haw a woman negotiated both the action-led, often gory storyline and the expected gender roles of the characters (with Defoe as the eponymous masculine hero and La Voisin as the corrupted femme fatale).

Leigh himself then opos up to confirm that he is, in actual fact, male.
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

The rather wonderful Edinburgh City Libraries have this on display as you walk into one of their branches. i have borrowed it and am halfway through, have to say the inproved text, and the collected nature do the story a world of good, there are a number of questions and comment I have but will save them til I finish, but I would recommend getting along to your local library and hassleing them to get this, or indeed buy it yourself, its one that is well worth re-reading.
DDT did a job on me

Last of the V8's

Got my copy today from the book depository.
Looks like pages missing?
No front intro pages or title page starts with first page bottom panel reek with hand in mouth "Titus we have to talk."
Any body else got a copy the same or is this a misprinted book?
Gotta know want to send it back.  :(

LGDROID

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you picking this up!

Captain Skank, You definately have a faulty copy dude. Sounds like it's missing the intro pages, credits,"The Last Leveller" intro by Pat, and nearly the whole of the first two episodes missing. Feel gutted  you have to send that back. I hope it's just a one off. I just ordered one from the Book Depository myself just to check.

Take care,

Leigh (inspiration to all female artists).

Last of the V8's

I'm gutted,I love Defoe.
Hoping to go to Orbital comics signing on 12th September hope copies are OK by then.
Cap'n

Last of the V8's

Book Depository are sending a replcement copy out,hopefully it's all there,no need to send the faulty copie back eitherwell done them! :P

I, Cosh

Quote from: nomohican on 12 August, 2009, 08:56:05 PM
Overall I think that 'Brethren of the Night' is the better story. '1666' seems a bit unfocused as it introduces so much information. 'Brethren...' on the other hand has a stronger structure, concentrating on the death of [spoiler]Fear Jones[/spoiler]and how this sets up the hunt for La Voisin.
Whereas I found it quite the opposite. The first story dropped us into the world and let us splash around in it while the second introduced a myriad subplots without fully developing any. I think Brethren... would have been far better served as a three or four shorter stories running one after the other.

It's all still marvellous fun and quite lovely to look at though. She really is an inspiration.
We never really die.

LGDROID

Excellent Captainskank! I won't send my army of midgets after them then...

And yeah, it'll be great to have you at Orbital's signing!

Oh, and Nomohican, I've VERY made up--John's an old,old friend of mine, and I was made up when he wrote the afterword. I tell a bit about our history at this older blog post:

http://leighgallagherart.blogspot.com/2009/03/john-higgins-razorjack.html

Thanks again guys.
L

nomohican

Quote from: LGDROID on 13 August, 2009, 08:32:04 PM
Oh, and Nomohican, I've VERY made up--John's an old,old friend of mine, and I was made up when he wrote the afterword. I tell a bit about our history at this older blog post:

http://leighgallagherart.blogspot.com/2009/03/john-higgins-razorjack.html

Thanks Leigh, that's an interesting post. I've been slowly working back through your blog recently. I love the making of entries, very informative.
Well, maybe that fish has a wife and family too. Did anyone think of that?
I mean, I don't think I've got the right to kill someone's daddy, do I? Even if it is a fish.

Zombo

LGDROID

Appreciate it mate! Tomorrow look out for my blog post where I'll be showing a "before" and "after" of some of the redrawn panels that Tharg let me do for this collected edition.
L

Proudhuff

Nice to see you the LGDriod here, I always think it take a lot to stick your head in this bunch of pedants lair  ;D

SPOILERS...

Finished the whole book at a trot last night and it really does benefit from an all in one reading.

What comes across strongly is that 'Angels' are the driving force behind most of what happens, this was lost on me in the week to week slice and dice of the reek hacking and novel machinery.

It seems the comet wasn't a comet, but an event created by elements within the Alchemists, Angels and vizards, and the Zombie-fying only appears to affect the SE of England, as the export of Reeks would suggest they aren't elsewhere.

Perhaps this industrialisation of the dead is the ultimate capitalist act? and the subjugation of the revolting population a useful by-product?  

Lets hope that the Mills droid has it all worked out and it all doesn't go on for too many books.
I would like really like to see the over all story complete with the why of '666 and all that addressed in the near future and not dragged into an over long tale.

and hey... WTF is happening in Scotland? The late 1600's were a very interesting time here in Jockdom what with Rullion Green, Covenanters et al, I'm sure the Zombiefication of London would effect thoughts of rebellion... maybe Tam Dalyell wouldn't have his troops or The Killing Time wouldn't happen or the reeks cause the bad harvests at the time and the reeks fecked the Darien Expedition !!!

enough! If you'd been perplexed by the weekly Defoe get yer mitts on this it really does help sort it out and puts the current story into perspective.
DDT did a job on me

LGDROID

Cheers man. Don't worry, I came wearing a cup so I'm prepared.
L

planetoid

Leigh, could you tell us how long it takes to complete one page of artwork. Your artwork is incredibly detailed. You must have amazing patience to draw all the fine detail such as the all bricks you draw on the buildings.  The attention to detail on Nonsuch House was very impressive.

LGDROID

Hey Planetoid, thanks alot mate. Though believe me, if I could think of a way to cheat that type of stuff I would.

To give you an idea of how fast I had to do it, for a few of the last episodes I had just over 2 weeks to do each batch of 6 pages. Not remotely ideal for me (my girlfriend had to be incredibly understanding again!), but it's my own damn fault for taking my time at the beginning. For Book 4, I'm going to try my best to get ahead earlier.