Main Menu

Defoe: 1666

Started by nomohican, 12 August, 2009, 08:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

And yet you managed to turn in pages like the clockpunk melee at Nonsuch House, one of the most wonderfully detailed and inventive dust-ups in recent 2000AD history.  Incredible. 

planetoid

QuoteTo give you an idea of how fast I had to do it, for a few of the last episodes I had just over 2 weeks to do each batch of 6 pages.

Sort of three days per page. That is quite quick for such detailed art. For example, Prog 1648: Defoe, page 4, panels 3 and 6 - there is so much detail in the brickwork and drawbridge. That must give some artists nightmares - putting in that level of detail.

I suppose the artwork does look a little more detailed in 2000AD because it's smaller than the actual boards you work on. Was Defoe modelled on anyone? He reminds me of Bruce Willis but with a few more pounds around the waistline.  ;)

If John Wagner ever brings back Judge Death and the other Dark Judges, your style of art would suit it. The reeks in Defoe are Judge Death looking.

LGDROID

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2009, 01:33:02 PM
And yet you managed to turn in pages like the clockpunk melee at Nonsuch House, one of the most wonderfully detailed and inventive dust-ups in recent 2000AD history.  Incredible. 

Thanks alot Tordlback. To be honest i think I may go back to alot of the ballroom scenes to retouch once the next collection comes around. Bit peeved at myself that the backgrounds look a little bare sometimes...

Planetoid, yeah, sometimes I think to myself "why are you doing this you silly bastard? There's no need at all to detail the drawbridge! It looked bloody fine the way it was!" But by that point it's too late.

You're right--Defoe is loosely based on Bruce Willis with a bit of Ray Winstone thrown in. I'd never try and completely base a character on one sole person , as quite franky, I'm naff at likenesses.

Maybe one day in the far, far future I'll get to draw Death, but I'm actually soon starting a 2 part Dredd for the Megazine! Can't wait for that. Just needed a brief break from drawing the 17th Century before i jumped into theh next Defoe. you can check out my version of Dredd in a pencil sketch on my blog here:
http://leighgallagherart.blogspot.com/2009/08/dredd-sketch.html

Right guys, gotta get back to work. Thanks again and take care!
L

planetoid

QuoteMaybe one day in the far, far future I'll get to draw Death, but I'm actually soon starting a 2 part Dredd for the Megazine

Look forward to it.

QuotePlanetoid, yeah, sometimes I think to myself "why are you doing this you silly bastard? There's no need at all to detail the drawbridge! It looked bloody fine the way it was!" But by that point it's too late.

I suspect Leigh is a perfectionist. That may explain the high level of detail in his art. He goes that extra mile to make each panel look as good as possible.  ;)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: planetoid on 17 August, 2009, 01:44:17 PM
Was Defoe modelled on anyone? He reminds me of Bruce Willis but with a few more pounds around the waistline.  ;)

I think you meant to say 'Phil Mitchell.' ;)

He's already got the gut and the cockney accent.
@jamesfeistdraws

vzzbux

While you are here I would like to say you art reminds me of the 2K of old and I am very much enjoying it. Keep up the good work.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

LGDROID

That's one of the best compliments I can ask for--thanks man!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: LGDROID on 18 August, 2009, 11:10:21 AM

Here's another:

You've got great hair.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: LGDROID on 17 August, 2009, 02:07:20 PM

You're right--Defoe is loosely based on Bruce Willis with a bit of Ray Winstone thrown in. I'd never try and completely base a character on one sole person , as quite franky, I'm naff at likenesses.

Maybe one day in the far, far future I'll get to draw Death, but I'm actually soon starting a 2 part Dredd for the Megazine! Can't wait for that. Just needed a brief break from drawing the 17th Century before i jumped into theh next Defoe. you can check out my version of Dredd in a pencil sketch on my blog here:
http://leighgallagherart.blogspot.com/2009/08/dredd-sketch.html

Excellent news! I saw your Dredd sketch a few weeks back and can't wait ti see you tackle an actual strip. Your Dredd has bulk and grit, looks like a real hardman.

Plus I hadn't thought of Ray Winstone but as soon as you said it... well, if a movie is ever considered (how could it fail?), I think Mr Winstone should DEFINITELY get that phonecall. I used to be fairly indifferent to him, but then I saw The Departed and The Proposition in the same week. Orrible accent aside, he was great in Departed, but The Propostion - jeezus that's a fantastic film.

Anyway, nice one on the collection Leigh, and can't wait for Book IV  ;D

LGDROID

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 18 August, 2009, 11:23:37 AM
Quote from: LGDROID on 18 August, 2009, 11:10:21 AM

Here's another:

You've got great hair.

You're goddamn right I have.
Hey Rich, cheers for the nice review on the other site. WOO HOO, we beat Mr "Hot list top 50 with Megan Fox and I have a nice beard" Ewing!

Mygrimmbother, thanks alot mate. Though to be honest, seeing Winstone in the latest Indy pretty much killed that dream for me...but he was fantastic in the british version of Sweeney Todd...

Take care,

L

Edkaye

Hey Guys,

Long time no post, actually, I think this is my 3rd board account, ho hum...

I just posted a pretty lengthy review of the first Defoe TPB over on my website, so if you would like to view it, please click... http://www.hypergeek.ca/2009/08/trade-review-defoe-vol-1-1666.html!
Please check out my website http://www.hypergeek.ca for tons of comic news, review, interviews, recommendations, articles, columns, previews, and more!

TordelBack

Really great review Ed, and an excellent summary of the setup, if very spoilerific for the new reader!

Edkaye

I realised that about the spoilers, but I tried to hold back a bit. I find that trade reviews are quite hard to do without letting some stuff slip.

Please check out my website http://www.hypergeek.ca for tons of comic news, review, interviews, recommendations, articles, columns, previews, and more!

Cactus

I actually find your synopsis a better way to read the story than Mills' dialogue.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Emperor

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 August, 2009, 05:42:54 PMIt seems the comet wasn't a comet, but an event created by elements within the Alchemists, Angels and vizards, and the Zombie-fying only appears to affect the SE of England, as the export of Reeks would suggest they aren't elsewhere.

I'm not sure the export of reeks implies they aren't elsewhere. The triangle trade was set in place because we'd handily slaughtered most of the natives in the Caribbean (and the plantations were much more manpower intensive and the pre-Contact population density was too low). The reeks just mean they could save money and export undead slaves straight from Britain but the reason is still the same.

So far Pat has only revealed as much as he needs to for his story which leaves a lot of information unsaid. The zombigenesis is suitably unclear - the more typical "your bit, your dead" mantra hasn't been seen (that I can recall) suggesting it isn't some kind of virus with the zombification and biting being part of the vector of transmission.* The mention of the comet might be pointing us to an extraterrestrial origin (panspermia style - I'm sure this means crops up occasionally in zombie films but I'd need to dust the notes off to tell). However, Mene Tekel has necromantic powers and it would seem to make sense that he is both raising and directing the zombies (with the comet being merely signs and portents), although the latter might not require the former - he could be opportunistically taking advantage of the outbreak.

*If it is then we can pretty much guarantee that it has spread to other parts of the known world (floaters are slow but they'll get there in the end) and that Mene Tekel is controlling, not raising, the zombies (although super reeks suggest he can mutate or strengthen them through his dark arts).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+