Main Menu

Are you interested in producing animations?

Started by planetmirth, 05 November, 2009, 12:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetmirth

Hi everyone,

It seems to me that there are a lot of talented and creative people out there (a lot of them on this site), who would much rather be making a living from their hobby than want they actually do for a living.

The problem is that they probably don't have all the skills needed to complete a project by themselves.

Using animation as an example, they could be a writer who can't animate, an illustrator who can't edit, an animator who knows little about sound recording, or a director who has nothing to direct.

Even if they have the knowledge to do everything, it's unlikely that they would have the time to complete a series in isolation.

I'm working on an idea whereby a virtual production company would be formed in order for all these talented individuals to work collaboratively, to complete projects and hopefully help kick-start a more satisfying and rewarding career.

It would be completely free for people to participate in, all that they would need to invest would be their talent. At the end of the day they would have a completed project for their showreel/CV and would share in the profits if their project made any money.

Having seen the diverse and high quality of work here, I thought this would be the ideal place to find out if the concept appealed to people.

If you'd like to be involved, then I've set up a temporary page on my website here http://planetmirth.weebly.com/want-a-job-in-tv.html where you can register your interest.

Even if you think it's a bad idea, I'd love to hear your views.

Some dream of success - others work hard to achieve it!!
'A computer once beat me in chess... but it was no match for me in kick-boxing!'
Visual Effects Examples

Emperor

Quote from: planetmirth on 05 November, 2009, 12:53:24 PMIf you'd like to be involved, then I've set up a temporary page on my website here http://planetmirth.weebly.com/want-a-job-in-tv.html where you can register your interest.

Sounds like a great idea - it is a different medium to comics but there is plenty of crossover. Let us know how it goes and if anything interesting comes together.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

locustsofdeath!

You need a script, planetmirth - come to me. Click the link below to see some filmstuff!

eggonlegs

i have some limited skills to offer!!!! signing up now!

planetmirth

Thanks Emperor. If enough 2000AD people sign up for the expression of interest, I'm actually thinking of not opening up to the public domain initially, but instead just approach Rebellion and try and negotiate the rights for something that everyone here would be passionate about.

But that's a big 'if'. There's certainly enough very talented people here, but I'm sure not all of them have the time or interest to get involved in animation.

That's great locustsofdeath. No writers are signed up yet - and that's pretty much an essential element to any project, so please do register your interest.

I'm estimating that I need about 50 people from diverse skills to make the idea viable (Though a hardcore of 4 or 5 dedicated people would be able to put together a decent pilot episode).

If I get 50 people registering their interest, then I'll be able to approach a broadcaster with something more tangible than just an idea.

Thanks eggonlegs much appreciated. Judging from the range of skills you have to contribute, we could make a pilot with just one or two others  ;)

Anyway, thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply to the thread. Please spread the word within the 2000AD community, and encourage them to register - the more I think about it, the more I'd love to keep it in the family.
'A computer once beat me in chess... but it was no match for me in kick-boxing!'
Visual Effects Examples

planetmirth

Just came across this - it would be great if there was something similar for 2000AD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rMyq9WpZXI
Visual Effects Examples

Emperor

I just caught that over on Bleeding Cool and was reminded of this thread but you beat me to it.

While motion comics seem a little unnecessary (although it would have been fun to have a crack at that competition) there are plenty of areas of crossover. Short stories (which British comics creators are experts at) translate well into this short-attention span, YouTube videosquirt age we live in and quite a few people are doing video trailers these days but that in itself can require a range of skills not everyone has (video editing, music, etc.). The latter struck me when I saw this:

http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,25720.0.html

It is a great way to get publicity, as it is awfully easy to embed a YouTube video in a blog and it spreads virally across the blogosphere. In fact, an occasional denizen of these boards mentioned it to me only the other day on a non-comics front, but one of the biggest hurdles is being able to find people with the right skills, so a collective is a great way to find the right people.

Quote from: planetmirth on 06 November, 2009, 10:18:01 AMNo writers are signed up yet - and that's pretty much an essential element to any project, so please do register your interest.

Ahhhhhh go on then. I've added my name. I'm being kept pretty busy and can't guarantee I'll be any good or come up with anything worthwhile but I do consider TV and film an influence alongside books, comics and the human condition (the Ganesh story in Paragon is possibly most influenced by the animation shows I saw on TV when growing up, like Ulysses 31, as well as Hindu mythology obviously), so who knows?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

planetmirth

Thanks for registering Emperor.

As I said, I needed between 4 and 50 people to make the project work and so far I have 8 confirmed and 2 more possibles, so it's looking good. And they all have diverse skills, which is even better.

I'll be approaching a broadcaster at the end of November with a proposal and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

In the meantime, please spread the word as the closer to 50 sign-up I have, the more likely the broadcaster will buy into the project.

Best wishes

Darren
Visual Effects Examples