Main Menu

Megazine reprints tucked in trades?

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 May, 2010, 03:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well you'll have to excuse my blivering ignorance here but I've just discovered that the complete 'Cursed Earth Koburn' is actually included in the Carlos Ezquerra Judge Dredd collection... erm I'm skip wondering why???

Anyhoo this is great news as I've always wanted to read it can I'm really trying to resist collecting all the megs. Anyway to the question I was therefore wondering if there was any other Megazine stories collected in curious corners like this that I'd missed. The Henry Flint and Cam Kennedy collections that I can see don't offer any clues to the specifics of there content. So aside from the trades named after specifc Meg stories (Family, Simping Detective etc) are there any other tucked away elsewhere?

Mike Gloady

Mechanismo springs to mind as a total Meg collection.  As does the woeful (but still worthwhile for MacNeil, Hicklenton et al) Heavy Metal Dredd.

I think that if a story is decent, they'll reprint it.  Simple as that.  Errecting an artificial line between Twoth & Meg originating material seems daft.  There's not as much good stuff from the Meg which is why it might come as a shock.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

flip-r mk2

Here's the content for the Henry Flint collection
MRS GUNDERSON'S LITTLE ADVENTURE (2000AD progs 1063-1065)

TURNED OUT NICE AGAIN (2000AD progs 1207-1208)

J.D. MEGSON (MEG 3.63)

TURKEY SHOOT (MEG 214)

FLOOD'S 13 (MEG 237)

STREETFIGHTING MAN (MEGS 258-259)

GINGERBREAD MAN (MEGS 261-263)

PLUS!

Henry Flint Interview
Bios

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

flip-r mk2

Here's the content of The Cam Kennedy collection.
The Art of Kenny Who? (progs 477-479)
Beyond Our Kenny (Judge Dredd Megazine 1.01-1.03)
Who? Dares Wins (Judge Dredd Megazine 228-229)
SABs (progs 1200-1202)
Bad Mother (progs 2001)
Bodies of Evidence (progs 1234-1236)
Alien Wedding (prog 1241)
The Student Prince (prog 2002)
It's Deja Vu All Over Again (prog 1282-1283)
Block Court (prog 1284)
Finger of Suspicion (prog 1387)
Big Deal at Drekk City (prog 1400-1404)
The Bazooka (Judge Dredd Megazine 4.01-4.03)
Blackout (Judge Dredd Megazine 238-239)

Plus!
Introduction by John Wagner
Classic Covers gallery
Author Biographies

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Colin YNWA

You're a star that is brillant. I had a nosey over at Barney as I noted that the PJ Maybe Collection is full of Meg stuff too - as I figured it must be as the how he became Ambrose wasn't in 2000ad so now that one's looking like a most buy.

Oh the dilemma. I'm trying to be really selective about stuff I buy now as the Attic is beginning to creak under the weight of my collection and I've already broken the rule I set myself of never having more comics than I could fit on the shelves in there. I therefore figured I couldn't justify the space the Megs would take up (I have volume 1 and 2 already) and there didn't seem much in trade so I tucked the whole thing to the back of my mind. Now its going to cost about £70+ to get the trades I've identified... plus I'd like 'Insurrection' when that comes out eventually... so I'm thinking should I just buy the comics???? hmmmmm

Mike Gloady

The "Complete" PJ Maybe (well, it was complete at the time I guess) and The Henry Flint Collection have most of PJ's stuff in.  Reckon "Emphatically Evil" and such will be in the first Tour of Duty trade.

Mike Gloady

Regarding your space.  Other than the ones I mention, there's nothing truly essential to Tour of Duty in print.  Grab those and wait for the Case Files?  Not ideal I realise, but it's affordable.  Well, MORE affordable.

radiator

I'd also mention America, which is all Meg Dredd stuff.

QuoteThe "Complete" PJ Maybe (well, it was complete at the time I guess) and The Henry Flint Collection have most of PJ's stuff in.  Reckon "Emphatically Evil" and such will be in the first Tour of Duty trade.

PJ Maybe became Byron Ambrose in the Monsterus Mashinashuns of P.J. Maybe from the Megazine - this is the last story in the Complete PJ Maybe trade.

'Ambrose' became Mayor in The Gingerbread Man, which is in the Henry Flint Collection.

QuoteOh the dilemma. I'm trying to be really selective about stuff I buy now as the Attic is beginning to creak under the weight of my collection and I've already broken the rule I set myself of never having more comics than I could fit on the shelves in there. I therefore figured I couldn't justify the space the Megs would take up (I have volume 1 and 2 already)

I would just get the trades* - all the quality stuff the Meg has ever published will eventually find it's way in to trade form (all the Meg Dredds are appearing in the Case Files, Return of the Taxidermist is due next year and Insurrection will surely get a trade once series 2 has ran).

It's worth remembering that pretty much all the Megs post-volume 2 include A LOT of reprint, so you'll be giving up a huge amount of shelf-space for a relatively small amount of material you actually want to read.

It might also be very expensive and difficult to locate all of the issues you need - I'd only go down that route if you can get a bargain job lot on eBay.

*Personally I'd just get rid of all the single issues of 2000ad/Megazine and just get everything you want to keep in trades! More convenient for reading and takes up a fraction of the space.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 May, 2010, 04:10:16 PMI've already broken the rule I set myself of never having more comics than I could fit on the shelves in there.

You don't need fewer comics, you need more shelves!  :D

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 May, 2010, 05:49:36 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 May, 2010, 04:10:16 PMI've already broken the rule I set myself of never having more comics than I could fit on the shelves in there.

You don't need fewer comics, you need more shelves!  :D

A logic I've tried to discuss with my wife who while incredibly understanding of my nerdery has her limits. She just agreed that a couple of bits of original art I've got recently can go up on the landing. I know when not to push my luck.

Quote*Personally I'd just get rid of all the single issues of 2000ad/Megazine and just get everything you want to keep in trades! More convenient for reading and takes up a fraction of the space.

I'm not good at this I love the original Progs it the adverts, the setting that puts everything into its context. I agree trades are more practical but I don't think I could ever part with my Progs... mind there's a few bits of my US collection I could be more pragmatic about...

Mike Gloady

I feel the same way.  But seeing as I'm about to move to a much smaller home *fingers crossed* I just don't have any space for them.  In an odd way I'll be glad to see them go and they give me an excuse to get more trades.  Which I will ACTUALLY reread (unlike the progs).

Radiator's right - lose the progs and megs and you've got THAT much more space for the good stuff.

radiator

If you do, just make sure you keep hold of all the progs with Zenith, Luke Kirby etc, and all the rare issues like 1208!

Switching to trades is definitely worthwhile, though - pretty much everything essential that 200ad has ever published is now (or will soon be) easily available in book form - I got rid of all my back issues many years ago (I think at my collection was about 700 progs at its height) - I can't stand clutter and would much rather have a neat looking bookshelf with all the good stuff.

I've currently got about four years worth of progs/megs that I'll get rid of once the trades catch up with Dredd/Dante.

SuperSurfer

Points taken about progs taking up so much space. Can't argue with that. Trades are the right size and format for what they are, but in my opinion you can't beat the artwork at the original printed size, despite the old paper stock. And what about all those great colour double page spreads: Cursed Earth, Judge Child, ABC Warriors, Nemesis etc. The reproduction of those in bw in the trades is such a shame.

Mike Gloady

I'd not have been able to afford them if the spreads were colour - I don't think I'm alone.

SuperSurfer

Sure. I think the trades are excellent, even though I don't buy them. Even that would be a financial luxury for me these days. I could really do with them for reference – in particular for the art comps.