Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Krull a.k.a "That's not a Glaive!"

Such a fun movie to watch.  You have a Space Empire conquering a small planet and then it turns into a Fantasy film.  It's not a good film, either, but it's very interesting.  There are a lot of good ideas in the film.  It's got a good pace to it as well so when you are about to question what's happened it moves on.

[spoiler]Fuck the "Glaive", I've got flamethrower hands now![/spoiler]

It's fun.  Now I have switch gears from Sci-Fi to Fantasy, my next film will be Beastmaster and it will be my first viewing.

milstar

Quote from: pictsy on 17 March, 2021, 09:40:07 AM
Krull a.k.a "That's not a Glaive!"

Such a fun movie to watch.  You have a Space Empire conquering a small planet and then it turns into a Fantasy film.  It's not a good film, either, but it's very interesting.  There are a lot of good ideas in the film.  It's got a good pace to it as well so when you are about to question what's happened it moves on.

[spoiler]Fuck the "Glaive", I've got flamethrower hands now![/spoiler]

It's fun.  Now I have switch gears from Sci-Fi to Fantasy, my next film will be Beastmaster and it will be my first viewing.

I find Krull so-so film. The plot is lazy and cliched, but sfx are just outstanding, for its time. Given that the film was given very high budget. And I like the design of monsters and creatures.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

I, Cosh

Quote from: pictsy on 17 March, 2021, 09:40:07 AM
Not seen it for years but I loved Beastmaster when I was a kid. Might even have seen it twice at the pictures. There's one quite disgusting part in which left a lasting impression on the 8 year old Cosh.

I remember Krull being pretty fun too but it doesn't have the same memories. Maybe you can try Dragonslayer next to complete the set?
We never really die.

pictsy

Quote from: I, Cosh on 17 March, 2021, 10:43:03 AM
Maybe you can try Dragonslayer next to complete the set?

I've not heard of that one, but sure, I'll give it a go :)

milstar

Quote from: pictsy on 17 March, 2021, 11:45:48 AM

Or Sword and the Sorcerer?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

paddykafka

Oh, I loved The Sword and the Sorceror when it first came out. It had a real energy about it - like a "fun" version of Conan - a charismatic lead with Lee Horsley as the barbarian 'Talon', and a couple of great villains as well. Granted, some of the SFX have aged terribly in the intervening years but that aside, I still enjoyed it. Must have a re-watch soon.

And while we're on the subject of low-budget Sword and Sorcery...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToR1Kx8vHtZw5JJMA4zHxNtemiE3sp0SiR0OwKiaEh85HvHAL6

Barrington Boots

We're into some of my most beloved films here!

KRULL is a mainly bad film with some really cool bits. I really like the scifi / fantasy mashup The scene where the Slayers rise up out of the swamp is one of my favourites of all time, Ergo is brilliant and it's great for a game of 'spot the actor' (Tucker from Grange Hill!) but the film kind of drops off a cliff after they get into the fortress and the bit with the beast is terrible so it always kind of ends on a bum note when I watch it.

BEASTMASTER is also technically a dreadful film that's hugely enjoyable. The fight choreography is dreadful and the plot is stupid but the core concept is brilliant. The panther is a spray painted tiger and there's obviosuly multiple ferrets playing the two ferrets but this sort of ineptitude just adds to it's charm imo. I won't enthuse more about this yet.

HAWK THE SLAYER is the like the BBC home-made version of these films. On one level, absolutely laughable with it's synthy soundtrack and 'special effects' that include obvious swords on strings, silly string and coloured pingpong balls. It's a bit like a fantasy magnificent seven though and I really, really like it. It's got some really quotable dialogue. I suspect it's one of those films that's beloved if you saw it at the right time and awful otherwise, but it's just so great.

I've watched all three of these recently, but not THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER which I haven't seen since I was a teenager and I need to watch again. I think I often get it mixed up with Deathstalker, a horrible film that suffers from the absolute scourge of 80s sword and sorcery which is masses of rape scenes. A skim of Wikipedia tells me that's not the case, so i should get on it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

Krull is definitely a film of moments.  I don't mind the ending.  Makes about as much sense as anything else in the film.  It ending on a confusing final battle with confusing effects really sums up the film.  I mean, they couldn't all of a sudden make it good.  That would ruin the entire aesthetic.  Maybe it's just because I spent most of my time wondering if the main villains costume was so bad they had to obscure it in muddy effects.  Plus flamethrower hands.  That's one hell of a wedding present!  What an enjoyably dumb film.

zombemybabynow

i tried watching Krull at the w/e and didn't get very far ! [spoiler]though, i should have held on for the scene with the "cloned" wizard in the forest[/spoiler]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

wedgeski

Before CG dragons came to dominate, this film had, hands down, the greatest dragon seen in motion pictures (it gets its hero shot in the last act, so keep watching).

milstar

Quote from: wedgeski on 17 March, 2021, 02:49:55 PM

Before CG dragons came to dominate, this film had, hands down, the greatest dragon seen in motion pictures (it gets its hero shot in the last act, so keep watching).

Amen.

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 March, 2021, 02:22:34 PM
We're into some of my most beloved films here!

KRULL is a mainly bad film with some really cool bits. I really like the scifi / fantasy mashup The scene where the Slayers rise up out of the swamp is one of my favourites of all time, Ergo is brilliant and it's great for a game of 'spot the actor' (Tucker from Grange Hill!) but the film kind of drops off a cliff after they get into the fortress and the bit with the beast is terrible so it always kind of ends on a bum note when I watch it.

I remember the spider scene scared me to bits in my youth, but cool effects of the lair imo.

And now that movie is not totally forgotten, I can see influence of Krull in games like Dark Sector or Far Cry blood Dragon.

Funt Solo

I love Krull and Hawk the Slayer because I'm the correct age to be able to bask in the nostalgia.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Nostalgia is even better than it used to be.

I usually find showing these films to my wife is a good indicator of how rose tinted my view is. She watched Krull once but never again: she didn't even finish Ladyhawke. She liked Beastmaster though.

Another rubbish one that I like, because it's a bit self referential, is Deathstalker II.

"Deathstalker? Is that your first name or your last name?"
You're a dark horse, Boots.

milstar

Now that we are in sword and sorcery, dragons and dungeons, has anybody seen Q:The Winged Serpeant by Larry Cohen?