Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 June, 2021, 11:27:30 AM
The Naked Gun 2&1⁄2: The Smell of Fear was my chosen tonic. Still a classic.

I adore those films, Airplane too of course - I saw the first Naked Gun film in France where it was called "Y'at-il un flic pour sauver La Reigne?" ... there is a logical reason for this, I promise!

Funt Solo

Nordberg's troubles at the beginning of The Naked Gun crack me up every time.

It's difficult to beat the Police Squad end credits sequences though.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

If you can seek out TOP SECRET by the same team, it too is awesome.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 09 June, 2021, 11:38:17 AM
Quote from: repoman on 09 June, 2021, 11:29:06 AM
..starring Barbara Crampton..

Already interested!

The best thing about 1995 Mortal Kombat is Trevor Goddard's depiction of Kano.

One of the few things I'll give that film credit for is Linden Ashby's performance as Johnny Cage.

Also in the latest film I found, despite the limited screen time, that Kabal was more entertaining than Kano.  I still liked Kano. 

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 June, 2021, 10:55:37 PM

Love that movie. You will recall the cow.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 June, 2021, 03:01:53 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 June, 2021, 10:55:37 PM

Love that movie. You will recall the cow.

Oh man, aye.  So many gags in that.  An absolutely cracking film.  I'm fairly sure I've seen it on iTunes in the past or maybe Amazon / Netflix.

milstar

Mortal Kombat Annihilation

Or the first twenty minutes of it. I forgot how bad it was. Casting choices aside (and James Remar isn't half as good as Christopher as Raiden), everything else feels like a generic martial arts B film, that doesn't hold the wit and style of the first. Special effects are lousy and Shao Kahn...well, I can't figure why someone thought of Brian Thompson. The man certainly has physique, but lacks flair to play primarily antagonist. And does he needs to raise up arms every time he delivers a line?
Anyway, I switched off to...

Legend

Or Legend European version. This Ridley Scott's dark fantasy adventure wasn't exactly time well spent, but it sure as hell was better than cringy minutes spent on MKA. I guess Rid had no luck with his versions drastically butchered by the studio (first Blade Runner, now this). I felt that in plotwise terms, this film is just very bare bones, as someone was lazy and disintersted in the movie, so it got hackneyed in the way that only very basic plot remains. As result, several scenes are edited down in obviously choppy manner. I also felt that I am about twenty years older than target audience this movie is near-exclusively inclined to. There are moments of sweet, naive innocence that worked me as kitschy and campy soap-operas (but that's just my personal statement). But I commend Rid's audacity to tackle fairy tales and his visual eye doesn't disappoint. Props, set designs, beautiful visuals, moody score, camerawork are all top in the category. And I would probably commit a mortal sin if I don't commend cutting edge make-up effects, that pretty still hold up today, imo. And there's Tom Cruise. Who, at the time, might feel as ideal protagonist, but I find him being elephant in the room when it comes to the acting, with his constant bewildered look and stretched eyes as he was in delirium over the magnificient sets he's in.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Alien

My 11 year old's first time. Every time I see it, I am struck by how similar it is to Aliens. In my head, they are monumentally different films, with Alien being claustrophobic and Aliens being more gun-ho marine action. But I think that's tempered by the Aliens comics that came after.

The two films are structured in a near identical manner, and Aliens calls back to a lot in Alien: the shots of the dormant ship; the future-eerie soundtrack; the crew eating together; movement sensors and the darkness hiding advancing menace; desperate flight as the location self-destructs; the false ending and confrontation in supposed safety.

And yet, I forget all this until I watch Alien.

It's a toss up between Aliens and Sgt Bilko today. Before anyone says anything snarky, I consider Steve Martin's Bilko movie to be a cruelly maligned, criminally under-rated, comedy master-piece.
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

I've only ever attacked the idea of Steve Martin's Sgt. Bilko. I've never actually watched it.  :-\
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

Yep, just watched Sgt Bilko

As a wise man once said, this is a cruelly maligned, criminally under-rated, comedy master-piece.

Really.

It's a likeable, family friendly comedy, with great performances and a lot of fun gags. With very early appearances by Chris Rock and Bryan Cranston. I've seen it at least a dozen times and have never understood why it gets such bad press.
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

Lethal Weapon

Oh, back when we though Gibson was just acting. Still probably one of the best action flicks of the decade.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 13 June, 2021, 07:56:43 PM

As a wise man once said, this is a cruelly maligned, criminally under-rated, comedy master-piece.

Really.

It's a likeable, family friendly comedy, with great performances and a lot of fun gags. With very early appearances by Chris Rock and Bryan Cranston. I've seen it at least a dozen times and have never understood why it gets such bad press.

What I want to know is does Phil Silver's Sgt Bilko still stand up. Not seen that in years but used to love it back in the day.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 June, 2021, 09:05:51 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 13 June, 2021, 07:56:43 PM

Really.

What I want to know is does Phil Silver's Sgt Bilko still stand up. Not seen that in years but used to love it back in the day.

I've always avoided the Steve Martin movie because I loved the television show so much. That's the only reason. I'd give it a go now, on the basis of Dr X's passionate declarations. Added to the list...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 June, 2021, 09:11:20 PM

I've always avoided the Steve Martin movie because I loved the television show so much. That's the only reason. I'd give it a go now, on the basis of Dr X's passionate declarations. Added to the list...

WARNING: I have never seen the old show. I suspect the bad press for the Steve Martin movie stems from the fact that it is nothing like the show. On its own right, it's a family comedy. As a remake, it may well fail badly.
Lock up your spoons!

pictsy

King Ralph

Haven't seen this since I was kid and I was hoping it would be really goofy, dumb and fun.  It was very generic.  Entirely mediocre.  I was a little disappointed that it lacked personality, surprised about the pro-Monarchy message but relieved it wasn't complete and utter garbage.  Reminded me a lot of Mr Deeds.