Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Quote from: broodblik on 05 July, 2021, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 05 July, 2021, 06:33:27 PM
The Tomorrow War. If you're tired enough not to think about what is happening or how it unfolds it's okayish. It helps if you nod off for 10 or 15 minutes here and there. You won't miss anything and sleep fuzz helps you from rolling your eyes too hard. If you've had your requisite eight hours then pass on this one.

Well for me this is one of those movies where you do not want to over think anything just sit back enjoy the over-the-top mindless action will you park your brain in neutral (just for breathing purposes) and wholla two hours gone. Yes, I enjoyed this it was fun
I enjoyed it until the last half-hour. It even made a kind of sense up until then, amazing for a time-travel plot. But that last act was mad, like the producers had accidentally found fifty million under the bed and had to spend it by midnight.

Link Prime

Quote from: wedgeski on 06 July, 2021, 09:05:37 AM
But that last act was mad, like the producers had accidentally found fifty million under the bed and had to spend it by midnight.

Now you're making me want to watch the feckin thing.

milstar

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 July, 2021, 11:17:10 PM
FASTER

Billy Bob Thornton plays a junkie cop hunting down Dwayne Johnson's revenge-crazed killer, while The Rock also avoids a prissy billionaire assassin.

This was a whole lot better than it ought to have been. Then again, it did have Billy Bob in it.

This passed me by when it came out - 10 or 11 years ago - and I watched it on Netflix on a whim. It was really quite noir fun.

What I love about that movie is how conveniently uses 1970s aesthetics. The score, camera angles, lighting, bleak story...I just wished that in order to fully look like a 1970s picture they made Rock die at the end ([spoiler]when Billy Bob shoots him in the head[/spoiler]).

Flawless

This was so-so experience. The film is not flawless, but it has some warmth in it. DeNiro is ultra-conservative cop, who suffers a stroke, which lives him half-paralyzed (his speech is impacted as is his whole right side). Philip Seymour Hoffman in his effeminate pre-Capote role's as DeNiro's drag queen and transexual neighbour. Hoffman's acting may be the best part of the film. Unfortunately, the whole thing is pretty overused and it basically leaves you no surprise. Typical story about two guys who initially hate each other. but grow to be friends later on. As result, the movie is often aimless in terms of the plot, instead everything is subordinated to character development (there is a subplot that involves a gangster seeking stolen money). But what I find the most objecting about the film is the portrayal of transsexual people as sex-crazed freaks. But given it's Joel Schumacher's film (who also wrote it), I don't think it was intentional. Nor I think it's homophobic. Despite numerous homosexual, often rife with the phobic suffix remarks. Although, I do find occasionally hilarious exchange between the two ("I'd rather suck a Hitler's dead dick" - I bet you already did"). Or "I am more man than you'll ever be and closest to woman that you'll ever get".
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

trois couleurs blanc. three colours white.
going through the trilogy again, one of the few pieces of high art that changed my life by making me question everything i thought and every way i was for others - this latter makes it ideal viewing (more than a quarter of a century on) during this year of all years.
white is as wonderful as i remember. and as appalling, and as moving, and as funny, and as important, and as sad, too. oh my.

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 07 July, 2021, 04:27:14 PM
trois couleurs blanc. three colours white.
going through the trilogy again, one of the few pieces of high art that changed my life by making me question everything i thought and every way i was for others - this latter makes it ideal viewing (more than a quarter of a century on) during this year of all years.
white is as wonderful as i remember. and as appalling, and as moving, and as funny, and as important, and as sad, too. oh my.

Ashamed to say I haven't seen any of this trilogy. This must be rectified

Funt Solo

The American - we're asked to sympathize with a main character who murders his girlfriend in cold blood in the opening scene because it's easier than explaining, sharing, caring, committing or taking a risk. Having knowingly put himself into a position where this was (by his absurd moral code) necessary, he then sets up a similar situation subsequently and while I assume the filmmakers wanted the audience to be thinking "will our complicated, troubled hero survive his difficulties" all I was thinking was "will someone stop the serial killer from claiming another victim"?

OR it's a metaphor for how America behaves in the world.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 July, 2021, 05:12:35 PM
The American - we're asked to sympathize with a main character who murders his girlfriend in cold blood in the opening scene because it's easier than explaining, sharing, caring, committing or taking a risk. Having knowingly put himself into a position where this was (by his absurd moral code) necessary, he then sets up a similar situation subsequently and while I assume the filmmakers wanted the audience to be thinking "will our complicated, troubled hero survive his difficulties" all I was thinking was "will someone stop the serial killer from claiming another victim"?

OR it's a metaphor for how America behaves in the world.

Is this the film that has George Clooney in it from 2010? 

You got me curious, I might watch it in the future.

Funt Solo

Yep - tis the Clooney vehicle. It's verging on art house (whatever that means) - but if you think "Clooney plays an assassin" (which is how it gets advertised) then you're probably immediately imagining a completely different movie. It's eminently watchable - I mean, I'd probably just watch Clooney drinking coffee quietly for an hour and a half - but I couldn't shake the morality angle while watching.

It also does that very British crime-in-small-village incongruity of having murders occur in rural idylls that are not immediately national news and would in reality cause a swarm of police and reporters. See Bergerac, Shetland etc. (Not sure why I can only think of ones that are set on islands right now.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

OK, I'm sold.  I'll manage my expectations, however.

BTW Midsommer is the murder capital of the world that you are somehow overlooking ;)

Tjm86

Well, I decided to take on board the sterling recommendations for The Tomorrow War and give it a punt as cooking entertainment.  It is definitely a 'disengage brain cell' kind of film that does not benefit from close watching.  High degree of predictability and a few moments where you think "oh, it's a climate change movie".  I would also definitely agree with Wedgeski about the last half hour or so.  Not the worst new film I've seen in a while but then again that's not saying much ...

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tjm86 on 07 July, 2021, 07:03:03 PM
The Tomorrow War

"Not the worst new film I've seen in a while" .

Just about sums it up!
Lock up your spoons!

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 07 July, 2021, 06:39:49 PM
BTW Midsommer is the murder capital of the world that you are somehow overlooking ;)

Welcome to sunny Cabot Cove

Pop 3006
Pop 2999
Pop 2997
Pop 2991
Pop 2990

pictsy

The American

That was definitely a film.  Slow burner.  I'd like to say it's a character piece but it doesn't really explore the characters in anything other than a superficial way.  Really good cinematography.  Clooney was the embodiment of anxiety throughout.  It has really good presentation, but the narrative is well trodden ground full of tropes and cliches.  To the point it becomes very obvious that [spoiler]Clooney dies and he "saves" the prostitute (I can't remember the characters names).[/spoiler]  Even if that might be considered ambiguous.  I don't know why one would think of it that way.  It adds nothing to the film.

Anyway, well paced, well shot, well acted.  I'd say it hits more than it misses so it was definitely worth the watch :)

Jim_Campbell

Black Widow

There's no way I'm going to the cinema right now, so shelled out for this on Disney+. Even with a decent-ish TV and speakers, it's not the same experience as maHOOsive screen and bone-shaking sound of an IMAX, obviously, but I rather enjoyed it.

Good performances all round although David Harbour, unsurprisingly, rather steals the show. Rattles along at a decent pace, with multiple well-staged set pieces and overall plays a lot like a better entry in the James Bond canon, minus the misogyny.

There's an end credit scene, BTW — in the streaming version it's at the end of the main credits, before the foreign language credits kick in.

(I will say, however, that my heart sank when they deployed the horrible cliche thing of 'slow version of well-known alt-rock song performed by indie-ish female vocalist' over the main titles. I felt my goodwill rapidly ebbing away at that point. Fortunately, the rest of the film is eminently watchable.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

THE GOONIES

Bit rubbish isn't it?