Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 26 August, 2021, 10:16:50 AM
On the recommendation of a friend I watched a film called Six Underground. I think maybe this guy isn't my friend after all...

I could not generate the willpower to watch beyond the first act. It's all tight dresses and chrome and slow-mo and hyper-violence - but dumb as a bag of hammers. And I'm only doing it the favor of that two sentence review (which it doesn't deserve), so I can say this:

Shit Underground, more like.

(Instead, why not watch that one about zombies in Las Vegas!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Wow, I didn't expect anyone else to watch it.
It's possibly the wilfully worst film I've seen, in that all the stuff that was bad about it is what I suspect Michael Bay (and my mate!) thought was good about it.
FWIW the opening act, which is a car chase that lasts about 9000 years, is the worst bit but it's all terrible.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

milstar

Two British gangster flicks connected by the setting and the fact that I felt I wasted my time on them.

The Hit

Earlier Stephen Frears film. I couldn't figure what's all about. I understood the plot, but  not the characters. Which is too shame. It may be one of John Hurt's best roles, and young Tim Roth is awesome. And Eric Clapton guitar tune in the opening credits is nothing short of masterwork. These may be the only positive things about the movie.

The Business

Nick Love's another flashy film about cruel "gangsta" people and their rise and fall, believable if Danny Dyer say it's believable. I got distracted by way too much style over substance. Way too much swearing, dope, hot broads and 1980s music permeating nearly every scene. I also felt the fall of these people is done in incredibly unbelieving film, considering how the film establishes their invulnerability (up to that point).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 26 August, 2021, 11:22:18 PM
It's all tight dresses and chrome and slow-mo and hyper-violence - but dumb as a bag of hammers.

Take out the slow-mo and that sounds like a film I'd certainly watch.  You almost sold me on the idea, but I sincerely hope to never see another Michael Bay film for the rest of my life.

Tiplodocus

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE really is fucking terrible on every level. It doesn't know who the lead heroic fighter pilot is so it has three of them, it doesn't know who the comic relief is so it has three of them, it doesn't know who to bring back from the original movie so it has about ten of them... it's ugly as sin despite obviously spending a shit ton of time on computer effects, it too often copies shots from the original almost exactly (because, presumably, people liked it the first time round so let's do it again) and the dialogue is pure cheese and too knowingly comedic in tone as opposed to the pure B-movie of the original. And every pilot can not pull off any manoeuvre with screaming. And the message? Apparently we need more guns and militarization.

More like "Independence day: Shit."
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

A film that's been mentioned a time or two here. Dredd.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: von Boom on 29 August, 2021, 07:34:00 PM
A film that's been mentioned a time or two here. Dredd.

Any good?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Another movie that's been mentioned a time or two here: 2010.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

von Boom

repoman

Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 August, 2021, 10:48:51 PM
Another movie that's been mentioned a time or two here: 2010.

I was unlucky with this one.

My dad took me to the cinema to see it. 

I was 10, I hadn't seen 2001 and I wasn't a fan of dry sci-fi.

I wonder if I'd like it now though.  Still haven't seen 2001 so I'd need to dip into that first.

pictsy

Assault on Precinct 13

Unfortunately I didn't give this my full attention, but I don't think I actually missed anything.  It isn't a complicated film and was pretty fun.  A straight forward action romp.  I had only seen the remake before and I enjoyed that film for being a straight forward action romp as well.

Tjm86

2001 and 2010 are very different beasts on the big screen.  The former is far more cerebral and definitely unique in the annals of Sci-Fi films to my thinking.  You can cheerfully watch 2010 without having seen 2001 but there is so much that makes more sense if you've done so.  Just don't make the mistake of watching 2012!

paddykafka

ACTS OF VENGEANCE

If you can get behind the idea of a high-flying defence lawyer - played by Antonio Banderas - learning how to become a fully-fledged and super-effective MMA fighter in the space of a year, then this is still so-so.

Banderas goes on the war-path and a quest for revenge after a terrible family tragedy, using his newly acquired martial arts skills - and super-powered hearing, as well! - to deadly effect. I'm not a cop, and even I was screaming the obvious answers at him as he stared at photos, evidence etc looking for...well...answers...

The fight scenes are well choreographed and Banderas does seem to be enjoying himself as he chews up the scenery (and anyone who gets in his way). It is all rather silly for what it is but Karl Urban also shows up. Which is an obvious plus!

In any event, this movie is still a breath of fresh air compared to the depressing and horrible Rambo: Last Blood, about which, the less said the better.

And saving the best for last: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE

A dark, twisted and comic masterpiece, with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford as the feuding sisters - and former film stars - forced by guilt and economic circumstances to live with one another. Inevitably, one of them is bound to snap and when she does? Oh, my giddy aunt!

Davis gives a superb performance (and at times even manages to elicit a certain amount of pity, for her otherwise monstrous character) and Crawford is her equal in every way.

A creepy, disturbing and thought provoking study of mental breakdown.