Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Me and a mate have decided to have a regular movie double bill night where we pick a movie each that the other person hasn't seen.

His pick was Assault On Precinct 13, which was great. I'd seen the remake, and everything else Carpenter's done (apart from The Ward) so it was really nice to see the original. A lot of tension on a miniscule budget, good going there.

I stuck on Phantasm, which he's always wanted to see. I don't actually rate it that highly, it's got a great dreamy atmosphere going on but doesn't really stand up very well. It is again a good example of a young director with no money making something pretty interesting though. It's one of those rare examples where I enjoy the sequels a lot more because once Reggie starts kicking ass proper it's great fun.

I, Cosh

True Grit. Fairly entertaining and the girl is great but I'm utterly bewildered at the over the top critical reaction to it.
We never really die.

Emp

Watched isnt quiet right for these 2 ......21 BULLETS all going well until about 20 secs in when doubts started to form...and 45 secs when the title actually came up as L'IMMORTAL...not that i'm bothered but the wife has an aversion to reading movies....the blurb on the front is a bit of a bastard mind .. "Jean Reno..the professional is back!"..........what could go wrong i thought as i snatched it of the shelf.

And Pineapple Express....£3.so cant complain too much. Never saw the ending, after 45 mins of Seth and his dealer shouting at each other and falling over i decided that Sky and their multitude of shite would be a beter waste of my time.

Really hoping the other 3 films i bought this week will be better....44 Inch Chest, 21 & Black Death, just so i haven,t wasted all my cash.

SuperSurfer

Just saw True Grit. Enjoyed it. Whole affair was spoilt by the morons who must've thought they were watching Benny Hill or something. Everything was so funny. Arrived later than wanted due to London useless bus service (6mins=20mins in London Bus time). Caught beginning but had little choice of seats and ended up in front of Mr Laughaminute. No carpet on floor and Laughaminute kept on tapping his feet. After I turned round the third time his Mrs said something to him and that stopped. Felt my chair moving and wasn't sure if it was due to people on the same row or if fuckwit behind me was pushing it with his legs. Guess this belongs in another thread but that's it for me and the cinema. Never again. Grrr.

Hoagy

Ooh, just change viewing schedule SS, choose a different bus route/ time/ service and a more quiet viewing day. Sundays can be quite bare of Matinee-ers. I know you shouldn't have to, but there is some fun in turning a problem into an opportunity. I'm hopeful you will return anyway.

Young Frankenstein cracks me up still. Lest we forget a little overuse of the Nazi stereotype once again, it strikes more of a personal note in the film the older I get. Lest I forget. Marty Feldman is magical. And if he thought the task beneath then his character was the perfect vehicle to express it. Gene Wilder was more than brilliant as the good Doctor, the little girl scene, the blind man scene, the vaudeville scene and the carry on moments. Sheer sparkling madness.   
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

HOO-HAA

I'm (re)watching Lord of the Rings. Although I've seen Fellowship before, I've never seen the 2nd and third films at all!

SmallBlueThing

I hope im in time, wayne. STOP IMMEDIATELY! EJECT THE DVD AND WALK AWAY! you do not need to watch the second and third rings films, in the same way you dont need to buy a keeping up appearances box set. Just back away.
SBT

Jim_Campbell

(Note that I don't hold SBT's viewpoint against him -- and have no real interest in arguing this point: I can understand entirely why LotR is largely an all or nothing deal; both books and films although for different reasons.)

Assuming that you enjoyed Fellowship, though, there's no reason at all why you shouldn't enjoy the other two. Make sure you have the extended version of Two Towers, however. I can't stress how much better a movie the extended version is over the theatrical cut.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

johnnystress

Quote from: Krombasher on 13 February, 2011, 10:35:19 AM

Young Frankenstein cracks me up still. Lest we forget a little overuse of the Nazi stereotype once again, it strikes more of a personal note in the film the older I get. Lest I forget. Marty Feldman is magical. And if he thought the task beneath then his character was the perfect vehicle to express it. Gene Wilder was more than brilliant as the good Doctor, the little girl scene, the blind man scene, the vaudeville scene and the carry on moments. Sheer sparkling madness.   

I love this film. Watched it again last night. Juts great. Not only is it very funny but it's beautifully shot too

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 February, 2011, 01:02:18 PM
Make sure you have the extended version of Two Towers, however. I can't stress how much better a movie the extended version is over the theatrical cut.

Ah balls! I've only the theatrical cut (the extended edition box set cost twice as much as the standard box set)  :'(

JOE SOAP

I'd only watch the extended editions for all of them, especially the first two.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 13 February, 2011, 01:34:44 PM
Ah balls! I've only the theatrical cut (the extended edition box set cost twice as much as the standard box set)  :'(

If you get the chance, definitely watch the EE of Two Towers out of all three. It's bizarre, the film is 44 minutes longer but the pacing is so much better, it feels shorter than the theatrical cut.

Cheers!

Jim

radiator

I'd definitely recommend sticking to the theatrical versions if this is your first time  watching LOTR - the extended editions are only for hardcore fans and they're even longer versions of already very long films.

The original cut of Fellowship in particular is much more easily digestible - the theatrical cut just rattles along at an exciting pace, whereas the extended version feels a little bloated and slow in comparison.

Though I do wish they'd get their arses in gear and release the EEs on Blu-Ray!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 13 February, 2011, 01:49:01 PM
I'd definitely recommend sticking to the theatrical versions if this is your first time  watching LOTR - the extended editions are only for hardcore fans and they're even longer versions of already very long films.

I disagree quite strenuously about Two Towers. I think the narrative is actively damaged in the theatrical cut. The pacing in the EE is better, and it makes more sense. That's got nothing to do with whether I'm a fan -- I'd agree that the EE of Fellowship essentially adds back hardcore fan stuff like Galadriel's gifts, but there are holes in the theatrical Two Towers that disrupt both the pace and the plot.

Cheers

Jim

JOE SOAP

In the case of the LOTR EEs I'd disagree with what the Rad says about them being "only for Hardcore fans", I think FOR has a far better opening and Rivendell doesn't get shortchanged, two things I think are rather important to the rest of the story and improve viewing. As Jim has stated for the TT, the pacing is better and I think it applies to FOR too, better pacing makes better films. A film with too many scenes/cuts badly paced will seem long and tiring  as will a slow film with bad pacing. Nothing to do with film length (that's how it's so easy to watch multiple seasons of a good box-set in a day or two, it compels through good pacing and intention) but horses-for-courses.