Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

I actually had a dream last night that I watched a really good Harry Potter film and then posted on here raving about it. Oddly, I really don't like Harry Potter.

Orlok

Valkyrie.
Wasn't as bad as I thought although it did have a bit of a meander away from historical fact. Thought the performances were quite muted, though. Some of the conspirators came across as neurotic until Maverick stepped up to the plate.
Speaking of the couch jumping fool, I didn't really rate him in this and haven't seen him in anything good since Tropic Thunder.

Pete Wells

I finally watched Red this afternoon to get a good look at Karl Urban. I was pretty pleased with what I saw, while not having any chin to speak of, he had presence in spades. Here's hoping he'll do a good job...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I decided I wasn't all that interested in watching two strangers get married. So after a quick perusal of my shelves before work, I grabbed Once Upon a Time In the West and my laptop. Got into work, grabbed a chair and sat watching in the sunny (empty) car park.

It has Sergio  Leone's fingerprints all over it. I'll accept his style isn't to everyone's taste, but, as far as I'm concerned, not one single millimetre of celluloid gets wasted. Some great one liners. I should also like to add that Claudia Cardinale is very very pretty.
You may quote me on that.

Ignatzmonster

Saw Certified Copy last night. I tend to have expectations when going to an arthouse film that the audience will know when to shut the fuck up, but there were more jabberers than the last time I went to the dollar theater. What's worse was the awful pretension of the jabbering. At least at the dollar theater I just have to put up with three year olds running around the aisles during horror movies and people sceaming, "Look out!" at the movie.

Gorgeously shot and Binoche brings the pain to every other actress working today. Kiarostami is famous for using non-actors in his films, but Binoche feels realer than real in this pic. It felt somewhat slight and disjointed while watching it, but I'm still thinking about it a day later so I give it a thumbs up.

kriss_kringle

The last movies I saw were Source code and a french one called Malefique.Source code was good but was kind of sappy near the end and I didn't like that but Duncan Jones is on the right track with this second effort.The french one was bad,4 guys in a cell find a book about black magic and try to use it to escape.A bunch of random events happen,really horrible writing.

Van Dom

I've mainly been watching stuff on the horror channel lately. I know, I like torturing myself watching low budget, z-grade crap. It's a hobby! And every so often you find a good one.

There was one on last week called Salvage. A British urban-horror thingy, which was basically like an episode of Brookside where Brookside close is suddenly swarming with trigger-happy marine types who are hunting...SOMETHING...and can't let anybody in the estate leave until they have found it...and possibly even after. It's a pretty decent little flick, well acted, nice bit of suspense. It more or less all takes place inside a couple of semi-detached houses on the estate with characters moving from house to house as they try to escape/figure out whats going on. The SOMETHING being hunted is fairly interesting - and scary - too. I enjoyed this one.

Then there was another one called Lonely Joe. This was bad. Very very bad. Took me four attempts to get to the end of it (you know you're in trouble when a movie keeps putting you asleep at the same point) but I had to see it all because I did want to know how it ended. Interesting premise I guess. But wasn't worth it after all that. Avoid.

Finally, last night I saw 11:11. This was very good. Nice spooky shenanigans, good cast, some fun deaths and it kept me guessing to the end. It porports to be based on some real-world predictions about (that old chestnut) the end of the world, and some of the stuff it came out with, frankly, freaked me out. This movie was made a few years ago but it goes on about how 2011 is meant to be the year when the world all starts going to Hell and there are going to be huge calamities and worldwide disasters, much more extreme weather etcetera. Yeah, I know you could say this about every year and it would turn out to be true, but watching this with the ongoing situation in Japan and the hurricanes in the US yesterday made me go...hmmmm! It was an enjoyable watch though...ending was a bit limp and disappointing, but I find that with most films anyway!

Now...what fresh treats will they have in store for me this weekend!!

Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

IAMTHESYSTEM

ALIEN.

Still gobsmackingly good Geigers creature design is still mesmerizing.

The old, dark house set in space but it's story of an unhappy Haulage crew being sacrificed to a ruthless Capitilist doctrine says something to me about our time now even more than when it was released over thirty years ago.

Aresome!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which I seem to end up watching every month or two.  It starts so very well, there are some terrific set-pieces throughout, but aside from Connery and Sayle all the new cast members are awful, and after the arrival in Venice it just unravels into a disjointed inconsistent mess that even a cameo by the Sheard can't really save.  Compared to the tightly-filmed Raiders (which I watched a few days ago) it's a shambles.  But at least Kate Capshaw isn't in it.

John Caliber

I enjoyed the Last Crusade novel when it came out, and didn't see the movie until it came out on video. Very disappointed with it at the time - it had a cheap look about it, as though Spielberg couldn't be bothered and had instead saved half the budget for his next movie. Same, laid back sense of direction that blunted Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I didn't enjoy watching Marcus Brody and Sallah reduced to a pantomime double-act.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

TordelBack

Quote from: John Caliber on 01 May, 2011, 05:16:37 PM
I didn't enjoy watching Marcus Brody and Sallah reduced to a pantomime double-act.

I actually found Brody to be one of the stronger points of the movie - you can never have enough Denholm Elliot, and he didn't have much to do in the original.  Sallah, on the other hand, is an entirely different and infinitely more irritating character than the suave streetwise charmer of Raiders.  I should say that I do enjoy Last Crusade (why else would I watch it half a dozen times a year), it's just... sloppy.  I almost hesitate to suggest that I preferred Crystal Skull, which apart from some  truly ghastly moments (you know the ones) is a far more faithful sequel to the original.  Also, Karen Allen.

Keef Monkey

I felt the need to include the poster in this post, just in case anyone thought I was making it up. And also because it's a pretty awesome poster. The Big Tits Dragon, or Big Tits Zombie as our copy was called. Neither title is particularly accurate, there aren't any dragons and the tits are on the people fighting the zombies. And it's atrocious. Really unbelievably atrocious. It's got one real action scene, which obviously took up so much of the budget that it appears twice in full (really) and while the ladies are obviously fantastic to look at it's nowhere near as saucy as you'd think, with the (tit)ular breasties only popping out once I think.

It didn't help that we watched it in '3D'. It's the red/green old school specs style, and only tiny 20 second bursts are actually in 3D, and a cheddar countdown appears anytime you need to get your glasses ready, and then the image gets so frazzled you can't even read the subtitles anymore.

It's a good thing we'd done a rewatch of the brilliant The Good, The Bad, The Weird beforehand or the night would have been a total bust (ha)!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 May, 2011, 12:57:54 PM
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which I seem to end up watching every month or two.  It starts so very well, there are some terrific set-pieces throughout, but aside from Connery and Sayle all the new cast members are awful, and after the arrival in Venice it just unravels into a disjointed inconsistent mess that even a cameo by the Sheard can't really save.  Compared to the tightly-filmed Raiders (which I watched a few days ago) it's a shambles.  But at least Kate Capshaw isn't in it.

Tis a pity cos they had the best material but still the Temple of Doom excites and has some rather scary moments which the Last Crusade truly lacks as does the Crystal Skull.

SmallBlueThing

Burlesque (2011)

I enjoyed this far more than my wife did, that's for sure. She's a burlesque performer herself, and so had been making vague noises about seeing this since it was on cinema release- but because the world and his wife loathed it (especially the Burlesque community itself, which I think would strangle each and every person involved in the film's production if they could), she was somewhat torn.

Personally, I thought it was fun- in a kind of "Moulin Rouge's cheap kid sister" kind of way. I confess I love musicals, am completely in love with Cher, don't mind Christina Aguillera, really like Stanley Tucci and was very pleased to see Alan Cumming in the cast. The trouble is, it spends much of its running time pretending not to be a musical- and so we are deprived of Cumming's 'That's Life' turn (except in the deleted scenes), which also makes a marvellous, jaw-dropping nonsense of the scene in which a very sad, money-betroubled Cher leaves the show late one night, only to bump into the lighting guy who reminds her she was due to rehearse a song, which she begrudgingly does; launching into a number about being very sad and money-betroubled. It's the single worst worst segue into a song in musical cinema history- and there's no need for it. If they'd've let the film have a few more musical numbers (that weren't just Xtina doing her pop video thing) it would have worked just fine.

Needless to say it has nothing whatsoever to do with actual Burlesque, barring one routine Xtina does with fans, which is actually not too bad. The name of the movie happens to be the name of Cher's nightclub. It may as well have been called 'Fanny's'.

Anyway, she grudgingly said it was okay but ranted for a bit about people getting the wrong idea about her chosen career. I just thought it was a pleasant enough way to pass two hours. Songs are mostly crap though, which may be why they chose to downplay the musical angle.

SBT

brendan1

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 May, 2011, 08:25:41 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 01 May, 2011, 12:57:54 PM

Tis a pity cos they had the best material but still the Temple of Doom excites and has some rather scary moments which the Last Crusade truly lacks as does the Crystal Skull.

I seem to recall quite a lot of fanboys thinking that Doom was a retrograde step and relied too much on shock tactics and lazy racial stereotypes. Like the Nazis in the other films were anything other than charicatures. I didn't care because I was about 12 when I saw it, and loved every rollercoaster second of it.

As for being scary, I'm pretty sure it did require some cuts, and the heart scene in particular caused some minor media outrage.

In some ways it's my favourite, although obv I love Raiders and The Holy Grail is great too.

I saw Crystal Skull on a plane, shich I'm sure didn't help my enjoyment of it, but it was a bit ordinary and by far the worst of the series.