Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

The Clone Wars.

I've seen some of the episodes from the series that run on Cartoon Network, but I'd never seen the animated movie that spun it off.

Very enjoyable! I understand that it pretty much started out as 3 episodes strung together, but it works well as a film. Only thing negative I'd say is that it's perhaps a bit padded. A snip here and there (boom boom) to tighten things up wouldn't go amiss.

COMMANDO FORCES

I watched X-Men first class today and quite enjoyed it. Some very dark scenes amongst all the fun and action. Loved the cameo  ;)

P.S. I have not left the house  :o!

The Adventurer

Super 8. It was pretty good, yeah.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Watched a good chop socky film the other night. It was called Ip Man, and was loosely based on the life of Bruce Lee's mentor. I learned two things from this movie; Ip Man was a one man punching festival, and I really should find out more about the Sino-Japanese wars
You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

Quote from: pops1983 on 14 June, 2011, 09:09:36 PM
Watched a good chop socky film the other night. It was called Ip Man, and was loosely based on the life of Bruce Lee's mentor. I learned two things from this movie; Ip Man was a one man punching festival, and I really should find out more about the Sino-Japanese wars
I would highly recommend Flashpoint, by the same director and star. Donnie Yen isn't quite in the Tony Jaa spectacular stakes but he's still totally nails.
We never really die.

exilewood

Just watched two films by Jacques Rivette - La Belle Noiseuse & Historie de Marie et Julien - both starring Emmanuelle Beart.

The first of the two (twenty years old now - I think it's fairly famous; hadn't seen it before) is a fantastic film about art, the creative process & the implications & effects of that process. It's a wonderful film & not just because Beart spends much of it as God surely intended.

The second was very dull indeed & I'm not sure what it was meant to be. Beart was still staggeringly gorgeous though, but even that wasn't enough to save it.

BPP

if you just watched the two then take it you watched the shorter version of La Belle - the 5 hour one is a weekends viewing in itself. If your a Beart fan then Un Coeur en Hiver from the same period as La Belle is a very good film.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

exilewood

Quote from: BPP on 15 June, 2011, 12:51:37 AM
if you just watched the two then take it you watched the shorter version of La Belle - the 5 hour one is a weekends viewing in itself. If your a Beart fan then Un Coeur en Hiver from the same period as La Belle is a very good film.

Yes - Divertimento. I'll probably seek out the longer version soon.

Interestingly, Bob Dylan made a film - 'Renaldo & Clara' that explored very similar themes that also ran at over four hours, later followed by a re-cut two-hour version that was nowhere near as good. Dylan did the re-cut under duress though, I think, (or it may have been done by someone else, against his wishes) whereas Rivette's (as far as I can tell from the liner notes) is more than just an edited version.

Oh - ta for the recommendation too.

BPP

no worries, suddenly remembered the name of another I'd not seen since its original release - J'embrasse Pas - which has her looking foxy as a ingĂ©nue with gangster connections who leads a farm-boy astray.  Warning tho, it does contain an fairly shocking 'midnight cowboy by force' moment that may leave the male viewer slightly 'eeks!'.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

mygrimmbrother

Watched Mysterious Skin for the first time last night - brilliant, poignant and very well acted. A hugely difficult theme to tackle, but it drifted along with a dreamlike quality and the final scene left me with a lump in my throat. Gorgeous soundtrack too.

the shutdown man

Saw The Runway last night, lovely little Irish film, loosely based on a true story of a small plane crash landing in a small town in Cork in the 80s, and the whole town getting together to build a runway so the pilot could take off again. If anything, it's a lot like the Dish, similarly quirky, small-town humour.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

TordelBack

Quote from: exilewood on 15 June, 2011, 12:44:03 AM
The first of the two (twenty years old now - I think it's fairly famous; hadn't seen it before) is a fantastic film about art, the creative process & the implications & effects of that process. It's a wonderful film & not just because Beart spends much of it as God surely intended.

Mmmm, I watched the long version many years ago - I came for the gloriously nude Beart, but ended up really enjoying the film too.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I watched Star Trek: First Contact again. It occured to me that it's a lot like a Zombie Movie. Except the Zombies have robotic attachments and lazers.
You may quote me on that.

Michaelvk

Herself rented two movies yesterday. First on was The sorcerers apprentice. Pretty enjoyable, nice effects and impressive how they can stretch a 15 minute single scene short into a 90 minute movie..

Second up was what I refer to as 'Hetero Male Teflon".. Twilight eclipse.. After 10 minutes of vapid, pointless, boring tedious crap I was feeling very emasculated and decided to right all things wrong by grabbing one of my airsoft rifles and field stripping it in the bedroom just to do something manly.. Oh dear God! It was so horribly, horribly bad! They should have everyone who has anything to do with the production of those films tarred, feathered and shot.. Except for the grips. They don't know any better..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Professor Bear

I thought X-Men First Class wasn't too good and I'm alone in that, so that means that most of you can look forward to really liking Green Lantern because I thought it was a fucking terrible film.  Ryan Renolds doesn't do any of his usual smartass schtick and comes off as charmless, there's a painful lack of comedy or wit to the script, the big baddie is a space octopus made of smoke and fear that actually looks good in one or two bits but they don't know what to do with it, and there's no character arc to speak of to make this anything other than a collection of videogame intro scenes strung together - is Hal afraid and needs to conquer fear to beat the octopus?  If so, why does the octopus still affect him?  And why [spoiler]kill it in the sun?[/spoiler]  That's just a big asplosion, they could have killed it from afar by shooting a space nuke at it if that was the case, but earlier in the film there's no clear indication that the space octopus is a physical entity that can be sun-asploded, he's supposed to be made of smoke that comes from people when they're ascared.  And what's with the Leader from the Hulk?  He destroys a top secret military base that he's being held in by the US military and murders servicemen and a US senator, gets beaten by Green lantern and then... he goes back to his apartment, gets into bed and goes to sleep?  WHAT?

Writers have shown you can make this material interesting, or at least animators have as recently as the last couple of years proven you can do a half-decent Green Lantern origin story, but this film... man, this film bites dick.  They want really bad for the lead to be their Tony Stark but there's no levity or charm in the character and he just comes off as vapor, the script is everywhere, and it just comes off as something you want to hate or pity.  I can't believe so many people were involved in making something this sub-par, but here we are.

But like I say, I hated X-Men, so y'all might like this anyway.

Quote from: Michaelvk on 20 June, 2011, 09:23:04 PMThey should have everyone who has anything to do with the production of those films tarred, feathered and shot.. Except for the grips. They don't know any better..

"I was only doing what I was told.  I didn't know the big picture" didn't work at the Nuremberg trials, Mike.