Main Menu

S B Davis artwork help

Started by strontium71, 08 March, 2011, 02:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium71

Can anyone help with identifying some artwork that I have decided to sell?
I bought it many years ago from Silver Acre , and it's a montage featuring 7 characters including
Dredd and Karyn in 7 vertical strips. I'm sure it's from a Meg issue. The artwork is by SB Davis and
is dated 1994.
When it is finally identified , can anyone give me an idea how much I should ask for it?
I paid £550 for it and it hasn't been displayed or anything. I really want the money to put
towards something and have reluctantly decided to part ways with it.
...because I hate you.

COMMANDO FORCES

Due to the current climate I'll give you £250  ;)

Take a picture so we can see this lovely!

radiator

I think it may be from a Dredd Mega Special, probably this one:

ISTR that the page you have was relating to this...

QuoteReaders were given the option of voting for their favourite of new characters: "You get to chose which of these six series should be continued by participating in our special telephone poll".

strontium71

Ooh well done , I'll check that when I get home tonight.
Oh and John , I'm reading this on a bloody iPod and could swear that read £2.50!!!!
...because I hate you.

COMMANDO FORCES

TordelBack

Very cool, especially the reptillian Dredd!  But why do I have no idea of who most of those people are?  I even own the issue in question...

Molch-R

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 March, 2011, 03:39:18 PM
But why do I have no idea of who most of those people are?

PSI Judge Karyn, Creep (?), Pandora, Ball Brothers (?), Joe from 13 (?), Brit Cit Babes (?)...

House of Usher

Quote from: Molch-R on 08 March, 2011, 03:44:38 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 08 March, 2011, 03:39:18 PM
But why do I have no idea of who most of those people are?

PSI Judge Karyn, Creep (?), Pandora, Ball Brothers (?), Joe from 13 (?), Brit Cit Babes (?)...

Karyn, some villain from Missionary Man (?), Pandora, God knows (?), Newt or Armitage (?), Dredd, Wetworks (?)
STRIKE !!!

strontium71

That's the one! Now , can anyone suggest a starting figure?
...because I hate you.

Pete Wells

QuoteBut why do I have no idea of who most of those people are?

This from the rather wonderful 2000AD Covers Uncovered site:

"A strange one next, a spread from the Judge Dredd Mega Special from 1994. Readers were asked to vote on which series they'd like to see back in the Megazine. From left to right there's: Judge Karen, the Undertaker (from Missionary Man), Pandora (drawn by the late John Hicklenton), Sumos and Sporrans, Dredd - Sinned-In City and the superb Wetworks."

Linky: http://2000adcovers.blogspot.com/2010/06/simon-davis-whos-your-grandpere.html

As for starting price, erm, dunno...

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Thanks all - but we're still short one.  Who's the guy between Dredd and (WTF?) "Sumos and Sporrans"?  I'm not buying" Joe from 13" (long before his time) or Armitage (although I can see how it could be the flashback version).  Was 'Newt' the name of the Brit Cit Brute?  If so, that seems like a possibility.

EDIT:  Oh, Sinned-In City, now I geddit - so that's a Marv analogue of some sort?  And we were supposed to vote for his return? 

Is it any wonder I lost faith in the House of Tharg around that point...

Proudhuff

I'd taken the long walk from the Meg about this time...Sumos and Sporrans WTF?
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 March, 2011, 05:39:30 PM
I'd taken the long walk from the Meg about this time...Sumos and Sporrans WTF?

One thing that's always bemused me down the decades is 2000ad's obsession with comedy Scotsmen. This one featured a Scottish sumo team competing in Hondo-cit, if you hadn't guessed - two comedy stereotypes for the price of one!

I think Richmond Clemens own some original SB Davis art (Billi Octavo in skintight leather and Sin/Dex in drag,  IIRC), he may be able to give you a tip on prices.