Main Menu

Greeting Earthlings

Started by DoomBot, 12 April, 2011, 10:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoomBot

Hi,

Last time I read 2000AD was in 1988. I've been stuck in a vortex since then and only just returned to reality. I've bought me some casefiles to do some catching up.

But I have a question:

Could someone explain the difference between the weekly comic and the megazine? I get that the latter is a monthly and fatter, but do they run different stories? Is there crossover between the weekly and monthly. If you could only get one, which would you recommend.

Cheers

Greg M.

Hello and welcome back to the shelter of Tharg's Mighty Organ. Take a seat in the shade.

The monthly Megazine was launched a couple of years after you stopped reading. The stories in it are indeed different from in the regular prog (though there have been reprints in the past). There have also been literal crossovers, in the form of Dredd stories that alternated between the two, but generally they are separate entities, sharing continuity and exploring different facets of Dredd's world. Originally the Megazine was supposed to be more 'adult', but so far as I can see, any distinction in terms of tone between the two has long since evaporated. If you could only buy 2000AD or the Meg... well, it would have to be 2000AD. But then, I have only read one issue of the Meg in the past few years, so I am not the best judge!

(PS: Quit in 1988... you missed Necropolis in 1990, damn it! Casefiles 14, pronto!) :)

Dandontdare

Welcome aboard

The Megazine was originally dersigned to feature Dredd-world stories only, but that restriction was loosened some time ago. For a while it featured reprints of other titles such as Preacher, but not so much any more. There's always a Dredd story, and Dredd-related strips like Anderson PSI often appear, as well as unrelated stuff - Numbercruncher is running at the moment and is very good. It also has text articles (creator profiles, movie reviews etc) and comes bagged with a free comic reprinting 2000ad thrills from the past (they keep trying to con us that this is a free "graphic novel", but it's floppy so that won't wash - it's a thick comic!).

But I'd still say buy the prog if you only get one, as it's on fire these days!

DoomBot

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. Just got myself an annual subscription to the prog. Mega excited. Anyone know how long I need to wait before my first pack of thrills drop through the letterbox?

COMMANDO FORCES

Hello and well done that Thrillseeker  :thumbsup:

O Lucky Stevie!

Welcome stranger! 'tis a veriatble Golden Age to which you've returned.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Richmond Clements

Morning. Love your avatar pic!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: DoomBot on 24 June, 2011, 05:05:46 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. Just got myself an annual subscription to the prog. Mega excited. Anyone know how long I need to wait before my first pack of thrills drop through the letterbox?

Assuming you're in the UK the Progs arrive Saturday mornings so if you're lucky this weekend, if not next week you'd hope.

You could of course pop down to any local thrill merchant or comic shop and get yourself a treat right away?

Whatever you do welcome aboard and have fun.

Dandontdare

Subs should start pretty quickly - if you ever have any queries, call Denise on the subs line, she's really helpful.

DoomBot

Thanks. My first one, Prog 1740 arrived yesterday. happy happy happy :)