Main Menu

Dr Who reference in Caballistics?

Started by Cactus, 27 May, 2011, 08:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactus

I've finally got all the episodes of the first run of Caballistics and a couple of things struck me.

Firstly, when you have enough concurrent episodes to make sense of the plot it really is as good as people say.  :D

Secondly, robot Yetis in the London Underground. Is that a sly reference to the Pertwee era Dr Who story The Yeti? I'm sure this has been discussed to death years ago but I was on hiatus then.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Cactus

Quote from: DrJomster on 27 May, 2011, 08:08:54 PM
Troughton era wasn't it? :)

Search me. I wasn't born then.

I have the plot right then? I did worry that I was conflating different stories. That would make the un-named special forces guys U.N.I.T.  :D

Greg M.

Yeah, it's 'Web of Fear' (of which sadly only one episode survives, a grave shame since on the basis of that it looks like it was probably stunningly good.)

I'm pretty sure there are references to British Rocket Group as well, which would link it into Quatermass.

The Adventurer

I think we're suppose to assume the 'Unnamed Special Forces Guy' in Going Underground is The Brig. In fact I think he's called Brigadier at least once. Also, he references the Yeti incident.

Which, now that I think about it, is pretty funny. These U.N.I.T. guys are hot shit taking on Extra-Terrestrial problems, but not so great at the Supernatural.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dandontdare

Quote from: Cactus on 27 May, 2011, 08:12:50 PM
Quote from: DrJomster on 27 May, 2011, 08:08:54 PM
Troughton era wasn't it? :)

Search me. I wasn't born then.

Well that's depressing.

I think Troughton and the Brig  encountered them in  the mountains (Where you'd expect Yeti) but Pertwee met them again in the Tube (where you really wouldn't).

Dark Jimbo

Only Troughton met the Yeti - and no, you wouldn't meet normal yeti in the Underground, but these were of course robot minions under the command of the Great Intelligence rather than the real thing.
@jamesfeistdraws

Grant Goggans

Troughton met the Yeti in "The Abominable Snowmen" (set in 1930s Tibet) and three serials later in "The Web of Fear" (set in modern London), where he first met the Brig.  Then he and the Brig met another Yeti in "The Five Doctors."  Pertwee only met a Yeti at a photocall.

There's another Pertwee-era reference in Cabs.  The story set on Wenley Moor, that's just above the hidden research base from "Doctor Who and the Silurians."

Colin YNWA

Worth noting (or not actually thinking about it) The Brig also wasn't a Brig at this point his was Colonel.

worldshown

Quote from: Greg M. on 27 May, 2011, 08:35:20 PM
Yeah, it's 'Web of Fear' (of which sadly only one episode survives, a grave shame since on the basis of that it looks like it was probably stunningly good.)

Based on the reconstruction that can be found on Dailymotion, this really is a lost gem. Comedy, cowardly Welshman aside.

Cactus

Wow, that was a much more in-depth reply than I expected!  :lol:

Thank you everybody.