Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

hmm, Halo 4 grabed e for a few days but damn DICE and there BF3 expansions i now know im going back to the Battlefields with teh Aftershock expansion.  Looks damn nice for a console version (got it on Xbox last night) and the maps are actually exciting after the boring Armoured Kill maps from the last expansion (im sure they go well on PC with 64 players but 24 on console just dont work on those huge maps).
haven't unlocked the Xbow yet but been killed by it plenty of times, damn i hate opne hit kill weapons.

CU Radabcker

ThryllSeekyr

I just got Lego Lord of the Rings for the PSthree in the mail today.

It should be epic.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Noisybast on 04 December, 2012, 10:15:15 PM
Finished off The Walking Dead over the weekend. Now *there's* a well-written game. Nicely paced point & click character piece with a smattering of actiony bits throughout to spice things up. I'm not convinced your actions change the overall course of the story *that* much, but the illusion's certainly there. Heartily recommended!

Yeah, talking to others who've played it I think the story will always follow the path set out but the game lets you choose how you get there and craft your own journey in a way (it's the game design pyramid, starting with seemingly loads of possibilities but all narrowing down to a point towards the end).

Some events along the way varied a lot between me and my friends though, and I really felt like I'd gone on quite a personal journey by the end. I think creating that illusion is an incredible feat in itself. I absolutely adored the game, and think it's most likely my game of the year when it comes down to it!

Finished Fable 2 the other night, had it sitting unfinished for a really long time so decided to get it done finally. It was okay, although I still don't get why anyone gets particularly excited about Fable games. Feels a lot like RPG-lite, but there's a lot of charm there so it's hard to be too harsh to it.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Way off topic, but this made me laugh and I didn't know where else to post it:
You may quote me on that.

Chrrow

Right now I'm playing Assassin's Creed 3.

radiator

I've noticed that the Walking Dead game is available on iPad. Might check it out, but I suspect that it's not going to be my cup of tea.

Noisybast

Fable 2, eh? I've still got a handful of achievements to mop up for that. Which hero dolls did you collect?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Professor Bear

Quote from: radiator on 09 December, 2012, 11:37:16 AM
I've noticed that the Walking Dead game is available on iPad. Might check it out, but I suspect that it's not going to be my cup of tea.

If you've played any point and click puzzle/adventure games optimised for the PS2 or Xbox, it's pretty much the same thing, right down to the unconvincing cel shading that makes all the characters look they've been rendered with a mix of ciggy butts and Sketchup.  My biggest issue with it was that no matter what actions you take in the game, and despite assurances otherwise from the developers, nothing you do feels like it has any real influence upon the outcome of events - although this has been my gripe with most rpgs and adventure games post-Fallout 3 (including Skyrim and New Vegas).

radiator

QuoteIf you've played any point and click puzzle/adventure games optimised for the PS2 or Xbox, it's pretty much the same thing, right down to the unconvincing cel shading that makes all the characters look they've been rendered with a mix of ciggy butts and Sketchup.  My biggest issue with it was that no matter what actions you take in the game, and despite assurances otherwise from the developers, nothing you do feels like it has any real influence upon the outcome of events - although this has been my gripe with most rpgs and adventure games post-Fallout 3 (including Skyrim and New Vegas).

Hmm, yeah - I had heard it was a bit scripted which is what was putting me off.

I think excess linearity is one of my pet-hates with games nowadays, which is weird when you consider that the vast majority of games I loved growing up, going back to the 8/16 Bit era - were totally and completely linear. Perhaps old games just delivered more raw thrills per second, and linearity only becomes an issue when games lack a significant element of challenge?

There's another WD game out called Walking Dead: Assault or something like that - anyone tried it?

NorthVox

Dredd vs Death App, Galaxy on Fire 2 App, and the Total Realism total conversion mod for Rome: Total War.

Chrrow

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Noisybast on 09 December, 2012, 11:54:14 AM
Fable 2, eh? I've still got a handful of achievements to mop up for that. Which hero dolls did you collect?

Hero dolls? To be honest I don't remember getting any! Maybe I was playing it wrong.

radiator

Found myself at a loose end the other night so decided to download the Ico + Shadow of the Colossus HD collection on PS3.

First impressions of Shadow are sadly that its a fuck-awful mess of a game. Controls, camera... Just utterly dreadful and counterintuitive. Actual gameplay seems repetitive and deeply frustrating.

Not quite sure why so much praise gets heaped upon it...

shaolin_monkey

You get used to the controls.  Work your way through it, and just get sucked into the isolated beauty of the game.  I still think it is wonderful, despite the graphics looking a little dated these days.  Instead of scouring a dungeon for the baddie boss, the dungeon IS the baddie boss.  It's genius if you ask me.

I revisited Batman: Arkham City last night, just to try out the 3D on it.  The 3D is much better on the PC version, but that's partly 'cos you can muck around with convergence and depth, whereas that appears to be fixed on the 360 version.  I also found the gameplay to be frustrating and not as tight as in Arkham Asylum.  I'm working my way slowly through the campaign, but I guess I ain't playing clever, 'cos I'm being taken down left right and centre by basic henchmen.

FarCry3 continues to be genius.

Professor Bear

Jetpack Joyride - a side-scrolling minigame with only one button to press and I can't blimmin' stop - according to the stats I have played it 327 times already.

Frobisher Says, a glorified interactive product demo for the Vita voiced by The Actor Kevin Eldon.  Oddly entertaining.

Syndicate, a FPS update of the old PC strategy game.  Generic and bland, I have no real antipathy towards it and it does its job perfectly well, I just couldn't be bothered playing it again.

Medal Of Honor: Warfighter, sequel to the underrated MOH reboot that got savaged purely because it wasn't COD, Warfighter actually has some serious gameplay problems until you realise that it isn't COD and you actually have to work to progress rather than just run about going DUHDUHDUHDUHDUH like you are in a schoolyard playing soldiers.  Modern players don't like to learn things in their FPS', they want to be coddled and reminded how awesome they are for calling a complete stranger a faggot, but Warfighter is having none of that - you act like a tit and you will die quickly, there's even a level where you and your "invincible" mates have to walk through an Eastern European city dotted with concealed mines that will kill your ass dead in one hit.  Older players like me will likely get the most out of the demands it makes on your attention and patience, but gaming kiddies will most likely hate it.  Not sure about the driving levels, though.