Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dracula1

Way behind on alot of the topic threads .... Especially this one.  In summary can anyone say if our excellent Dredd movie has made enough in return to warrant sequels? (or is it still to early to say).

James Stacey

the outlook is not good on that front. Cinema takings are well down across the board.

radiator

No, not by a long shot. It has basically tanked in America and seems to be doing just OK elsewhere.

It looks doubtful whether it will even make it's budget back theatrically, let alone make a profit.

:'(

ming

Quote from: radiator on 26 September, 2012, 11:36:08 AM
No, not by a long shot. It has basically tanked in America and seems to be doing just OK elsewhere.

Is tanked really the best term for Dredd's performance?  From what I've read (mostly here, admittedly) takings for almost all films in the US are relatively modest at the moment, so while Dredd might not have set the cinema-going world on fire, it's doing steady business.

Or am I way off?

dracula1

Cheers James all those numbers on previous pages really confused me. It'd be a shame if the current financial slump impacted on the chances of a sequel.  Its very understandable though, we are all strapped for disposable cash.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I think it will make it's money back from it's theatre run. Still got to open a lot of places yet, and there is a higher interest in Dredd then last week so maybe people are checking it out.

As of last weekend it had made $14,600,000 which doesn't seem bad on a $45 mil budget. And there's DVD/Blu-Ray which it will dominate at as it is one of those films that 'bokes' buy.

johnone

the film has to make twice it's box office to have considered broken even, Dredd could still do that with  the worldwide release but it is not going to make enough profit to really generate a sequel (unless the chinese love it and they turn out in droves)

So to anyone depressed and downharted about this.
    So Dredd failed at the U.S box office and does it matter...well yes and no. it's one of the most well reviewed flops in a long time and could easily make a lot of money on DVD and Netflix, this happens all the time, Austin Powers which had huge kudos for it's sequel actually made the majority of its profit on home release.
    It has most certainly increased Dredds profile and 2000ad's profile in the states (not as much as one hoped  but more people are aware of Dredd being more than just the 1995 film.)
   Has it damaged the comic as some speculated earlier? Apparently not, Rebellion seemed to have played this much more cleverly than Fleetway did...( or must I remind you of the two flopped DC comics, the grudawful movie adaptation or the lawman of the future comic..."for kids?!?!?" that all came out in 1995, fleetway nearly bet the farm that time...and lost!)
    Will there be a another Judge Dredd movie...actually probably we may have another 10 to 15 years to wait but it's a viable property.
    Does it make other 2000ad  properties movies a possibility...again yes and no! many will see this as a sign Dredd is unfilmable and perhaps it is for the mass audiencebut there's also a wealth of other stories with frankly easier stories to adapt for screen, Harry Twenty On The High Rock , The A.B.C Warriors, Strontium Dog , Rogue Trooper amongst others.. a certain film called Hardware was "inspired" by a 4 page Ro Jaws tale.
  So is it disappointing ? Yes, is Dredd a good movie ? Yes  and will there be other days? Of course there will be.

Mudcrab

Quote from: johnone on 26 September, 2012, 12:07:22 PM
a certain film called Hardware was "inspired" by a 4 page Ro Jaws tale.

No need to beat around the bush, it was entirely based on it! Enough to have them forced to include a credit at the end on the DVD (or video at the time lol). Still, was a damn good film, which just goes to show...
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Keef Monkey

I sometimes forget about Hardware's 2000AD connections. So that's two great 2000AD movies we now have!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: johnone on 26 September, 2012, 12:07:22 PMthe film has to make twice it's box office to have considered broken even
That depends entirely on the marketing budget, obviously, and we don't know what that was.

QuoteHas it damaged the comic as some speculated earlier? Apparently not, Rebellion seemed to have played this much more cleverly than Fleetway did
Case Files 1 sold out in the USA. More people are talking about Dredd generally. Americans are popping by this forum. Judging by the App Store charts, 2000 AD's iPad app is grossing well. So the absolute worst-case scenario appears to be that Dredd has benefited the comic. (As for the comment earlier in the thread, I've genuinely no idea where that arrived from. 2000 AD is safe and its ongoing existence has no bearing on the movie.)

As for other 2000 AD movies, I doubt Dredd makes the slightest bit of difference. What will be more of an issue is the British sensibilities of most strips. 2000 AD revels in the anti-hero, which generally isn't so popular in the USA. Still, Button Man is apparently finally moving into gear again, there's the rumoured Rogue Trooper movie, and although some 2000 AD strips probably couldn't work without radical changes (Strontium Dog would perhaps end up being unfavourably compared to Firefly/Serenity), I could see a Sláine trilogy working really nicely in the cinema.

radiator

QuoteThat depends entirely on the marketing budget, obviously, and we don't know what that was.

Lionsgate reportedly spent $25m on prints and advertising for Dredd - it seems as if most of that was spent on TV ads aimed at wrestling fans. While we don't know what they paid for the distribution rights, it sounds like that $50m would be the minimum required for them to make a decent profit on it.

radiator

QuoteCase Files 1 sold out in the USA. More people are talking about Dredd generally. Americans are popping by this forum. Judging by the App Store charts, 2000 AD's iPad app is grossing well. So the absolute worst-case scenario appears to be that Dredd has benefited the comic.

Yes. Though relatively few people have seen Dredd 2012 compared to Judge Dredd '95, a lot of the people who have seen Dredd seem to want to check out the comics, whereas Judge Dredd probably put off more potential readers than it attracted.

Quote(As for the comment earlier in the thread, I've genuinely no idea where that arrived from. 2000 AD is safe and its ongoing existence has no bearing on the movie.)

That was me. The last time a Dredd film flopped, it nearly killed the comic. I accept that things are different now to how they were then, and I was merely suggesting that things may have ramifications later on down the line - I wasn't predicting doom and gloom or advocating blind panic.

Molch-R

Quote from: radiator on 26 September, 2012, 01:19:29 PM
I was merely suggesting that things may have ramifications later on down the line

Without wishing to hammer home the point, that's how it came across and it really, really won't.

JOE SOAP

The film is a good promoter of Dredd; if it was a bad representation of the character and a bad film, critically derided that no one liked - like the last film - it might do some damage, but that is certainly is not the case. It's the total opposite.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me