Main Menu

Prog 1800 - Law Zone!

Started by Pete Wells, 08 September, 2012, 10:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 September, 2012, 08:19:55 PM...the MacNeil despairing-Dredd panel...

That'd be the one by Henry Flint, by the way.   :-[

CrazyFoxMachine

Brass Sun is the most striking first episode of a new thrill I've read for AGES.

AAAAAAAAAAAGES.

LITERALLY AGES. It's comics gold.

gufnork

Hooray, I've just been granted access, so here's my little review. Enjoy!

Well this is my first prog since the 80s. I kid you not. I heard it was going to be a good jumping on point so here I am. I read it in order, resisting the urge to skip and jump around and overall I can honestly say it was a relatively enjoyable experience.The cover was a bit of a surprise given the seemingly endless blog posts(mainly on the rpg blogs I frequent I grant you, but still...) about the terrible scourge of animators that portray woman as sex objects and place them in poses that would test a contorsionist, but to be honest even though it's not the best cover I've seen(thanks Barney), it was ok and it did at least get people talking about it.

Brass Sun - Yeah. Not sure why people are raving about this one. I found the artwork to be lacking that certain something. The story looks like it could be interesting if you like that religio-steampunk kind of vibe that it looks like becoming, but for me, well apart from anything else I just can't get past the minimalist look of it all. Compare the artwork to the Dredd story or ABC Warriors in this prog to see what I mean. It just comes across as a little too simplistic and a little bit lacklustre to my untrained eye.

Judge dredd - This was my favourite which came as a bit of a surprise to me since I remember as a kid I used to enjoy everything but Dredd in the Progs and expected to find the same true here. It looked great and was very humorous which is always a bonus with me. If there's one thing that will win me over above almost anything else it's that tongue-in-cheek kind of humour that I see here. Life's depressing enough as it is thanks all the same so the funny stuff is a definite winner.

ABC Warriors - Looks like it Will be another winner. The colour and overall look of the thing was the clincher here for me. The artwork was just stunning if a little upside-down-y, but with really exceptional detail. It really was a true work of art. We'll see how the storyline moves on though before worshipping it too much.

Grey Area - Didn't grab me at all I'm afraid. I can't see how it's going to become anything particularly special given that this first part of the story was tedious and really just made me wish it could be over faster, which I'm sure isn't the feeling they were going for. It was all just a bit 'meh..' for me.

Overall, it was a prog that probably wouldn't have convinced me to keep buying had I not still had good memories of the 80s progs, but for someone like me who intends to give it a real shot before deciding whether to stay with it permenantly, it certainly hinted at those possible/probable streaks of excellence that might tempt me enough to keep me reading for a while yet.

Brass Sun though, seriously... I'm simply not seeing it.

TordelBack

Quote from: gufnork on 17 September, 2012, 05:29:10 PM
Brass Sun though, seriously... I'm simply not seeing it.

Look harder!   ;)  This of course the true beauty of 2000AD - you can have the unbelievable detail of Weston, the shiny techno-tricks of Langley, the painterly look of Carter and something as magnficently clean and (I've said it before, but it's the right word) subtle as Culbard, all under the one cover: a palette for every palate. 

Nice review Gufnork, and welcome back - always good to see the Prog with fresh eyes, it's very revealing of what works and why. 

Colin YNWA

Yeah always interesting to get a fresh perspective from someone new, or just returned. Shame the Prog didn't grab you, but hopefully as time goes on you'll get drawn in more and more.

As for Brass Sun I'm really surprised as it struck me as perfect for a newbie, still that's the great thing about 2000ad so many different things ones persons take will rarely match another. But we all love it (or will learn to!)

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 15 September, 2012, 10:34:14 AM
Unfortunately, I think this will be just another single short story outing of four weeks.  Either a 3riller or three weeks of Future Shocks starts in 1801, since both Low Life and Simping Detective are back in prog 1804.

Really? Doesn't sound like very good timing to have those two strips running together, seeing as they're both about wally squad judges.

Grant Perkins

I loved it, best bit hands down was the inside back cover ;)

G.

maryanddavid

Cheeky!

Brass Sun love it, great art, great set up, I'm looking forward to see how this developes.

Dredd, just class, Weston in firmly in my eyes one of 2000ad's treasures, the ranks of the old guard McMahon, Bolland,  Belardinelli etc now have serious competition with Weston, Flint, Fraser turning out simply fantastic stuff.

ABC, I was delighted to hear this will end up a flashback in B&W. I havnt really enjoyed ABC since the return to mars, a waste of both their talents IMO, still well readable, Id have prefferes more Savage and (ducks the tomatoes) greysuit.

Grey area, great creative team, but not my cup of tea, I cant get into it.

The cover was a bit.. retro, but i liked it. Bisley is a talent that 2000ad launched, and I love to see him on something in 2000ad again, preferrably something with a structured story and, probably robots, barbarians and mayby some ladies?   

David

Cactus

Quote from: maryanddavid on 18 September, 2012, 12:26:13 AMThe cover was a bit.. retro, but i liked it. Bisley is a talent that 2000ad launched, and I love to see him on something in 2000ad again, preferrably something with a structured story and, probably robots, barbarians and mayby some ladies?
My contacts in the Nerve Centre just leaked this to me:

Thrills of the Future - Lady Robot Barbarians with Impossibly Twisted Spines.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 15 September, 2012, 11:20:26 AM
. Is "Z" new?  :-*

He had a long intro story recently, the full wieght of the state and the men in black coats were after him as he was a naughty boy scribbling on the walls of Mars, I believe that Zippo lighters are sponsoring his appearence in the Prog  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 September, 2012, 12:58:10 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 15 September, 2012, 11:20:26 AM
. Is "Z" new?  :-*

He had a long intro story recently, the full wieght of the state and the men in black coats were after him as he was a naughty boy scribbling on the walls of Mars, I believe that Zippo lighters are sponsoring his appearence in the Prog  ;)

don't really remmeebr him at all. Most likely  my drink addled brain though.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

CrazyFoxMachine

Will people just leave Bisley alone - the man is presenting scoliosis in a fresh and unique way. It's a serious problem and it shouldn't be stigmatised.

....I mean I never knew Anderson even had it.

Proudhuff

ah, it all makes sense now, that wiki is a wonder!!
DDT did a job on me

TheMightyOne

Just finished reading it! What a brilliant to pick up after not reading it since 2009! :)

I was so amazed by the quality of it! they really have gone the extra mile to satisfy the new readers that will inevitably come from the new dredd movie! (they should sell the bloody prog in the foyer!)

Loved grey area was my favourite strip, love that art style!
Brass sun, nice fresh idea. Good way to keep new readers hooked.
ABC warriors, first time of reading. Highly intrigued.
Dredd was great, art was superb and story was a funny little romp if their ever was one!

Front cover, I really liked it. It felt quite badass.

Richmond Clements

Quotebadass

I see what you did there.