Main Menu

Prog 1801 Green Death On The Red Planet

Started by Mattofthespurs, 15 September, 2012, 08:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Pity the Dredd was spoiled by pixelation.  Wonder if someone had sent the clickwheel file to the printers in error?  ( If the art is sorted out for non subscription distribution then I hope they sort out a proper copy for the rest.  Will check Smiths in the week. ) Otherwise an interesting little filler.  Number of interesting little snippets pointing to the long game ('now that Hershey has established her no kill policy').  Final panel was a nice touch as well!

Brass Sun - liking already.  Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.  Knowing Edgnigton 'tis highly unlikely to disappoint.

ABC Warriors - pleased to see that Langley is starting to make his narrative artwork more accessible.  It's normally stunning as cover work but hard going otherwise.  This is starting to firm up for me as a real pleasure.  Cover really puts last week's into the shade as well.

Terror Tales - Bagwell art is perfectly suited to this kind of strip and Smith true to form as well.  Not normally my taste but liking it.

Grey Area - police procedural 101 with standard diplomatic complications.  Ho hum.

Overall for me 8/10

Adrian Bamforth

You mean no-one else got their sense-o-rama glasses with their prog this week to fully appreciate the Dredd art? I can report it's totally amazing; I can actually smell the exhaust from the lawmaster bikes.

Richard

I really liked this week's Terror Tale. Hopefully any new readers who were put off by the ropey Dredd art will have been won over again by this.

SmallBlueThing

This is all a bit worrying, what with all those thousands of potential new readers coming on board due to the movie... and even more so, if I get it on Wednesday and it's still buggered then that's very annoying, but if it's fixed then they've printed a second batch and I have to track down a first printing! I literally cannot win.

SBT

Adrian Bamforth

If you ask me, 2000ad has no alternative but to put out a special PJ Holden collection free with the Megazine, including a full reprint of this story.

pauljholden

WHY IS THERE NO [LIKE] BUTTON ON THIS SITE?

Tjm86

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 15 September, 2012, 02:20:55 PM
If you ask me, 2000ad has no alternative but to put out a special PJ Holden collection free with the Megazine, including a full reprint of this story.
would definitely beat some of the ropey stuff they have been including in the reprints of late. 

mygrimmbrother

Joking aside, it's pretty bloomin' shocking that this has been allowed to happen. Also, no mention of Dredd whatsoever on the cover - surely now would be a good time to have a string of 3-4 Dredd covers, to, y'know, capitalise on the fact that the film's out?

Richard

What Grimm said.

Hell of a time to take their eye off the ball.

thejudgemuffin

Worry not...if we tell them how good 2000AD is, the film will stay at #1 and people will come, they will most definitely come

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: thejudgemuffin on 15 September, 2012, 05:23:45 PM
Worry not...if we tell them how good 2000AD is, the film will stay at #1 and people will come, they will most definitely come
But we want them to stay.

Colin YNWA

Well previously discussed issues aside the Dredd was a beaut. Grey Area was pretty damned good, ABC Warriors was extreme fun, though knowing whats to come it all felt a bit before the lord Mayors show, Brass Sun was excellent even if it felt as though it didn't really move things on and was focused on world building still (mind what a word to build).

So we get to the Terror Tale and man oh man was it fantastic. The plot was a little light as is often the case with these things but the execution was divine. John Smith and Edmund Bagwell can do no wrong... well aside from not dedicating their every waking hour to giving us a regular weekly dose of Indigo Prime, that aside they can do no wrong. Come on Tharg crack out that electro whip...

Mudcrab

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 15 September, 2012, 02:20:55 PM

Absolutely! In particular the originals, it could be like a colouring book  :D I really don't mean that in a bad way, I just love the B&W one you posted PJ!

So yep, shame about the pixellyness, was great otherwise. I'm liking the talk of retribution. Against who exactly? And how? I eagerly await answers!

Brass Sun was nice, intriguing and that reminds me, The Borgias has started.

ABCs, fantastic. More subtlety in the artwork as said above. Nice bit of continuity affirmation (confirmation?) and intruigued by the possibility of some Ro-Busters flashbacks? Yes, great to see the Warriors back. And yes, the cover was gorgeous.

Which left the prospect of a Terror Tale and Grey Area a bit ho-hum. Not read them yet. But I will of course.
Oh yeah, The Raid competition. Nice  :lol:
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Darren Stephens

Just read it. Top cover from Langley. No real duffers, strips wise. My highlights...

Dredd: Excellent script and top art.
Brass Sun: Ditto. Love this already. Beautiful to look at and an intriguing, original story.
ABCs: Fantastic artwork and I am looking forward to seeing where this flashback goes.
Terror Tale: What Colin said. Awesome.
Grey Area: OK, but a bit....boring this week, compared to its companion strips. Needs more aliens, which looks like what's in store for next week, so no probs. :)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

QuickQuag

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 September, 2012, 12:17:40 PM
ABC Warriors - pleased to see that Langley is starting to make his narrative artwork more accessible.  It's normally stunning as cover work but hard going otherwise. 

Oh good! have to say, Langley's approach to narrative (and the aforementioned uncanny valley folk) is the problem I've had with his version of ABC to date. Looking forward to it!
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.