Main Menu

Prog 1801 Green Death On The Red Planet

Started by Mattofthespurs, 15 September, 2012, 08:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 October, 2012, 01:46:48 PMOn theI have even been leant books designed to square christianity with evolution

That should have read: 

On the other hand I've been lent well-written well-intentioned books designed to square christianity with evolution, and the logical holes therein make me angry.

A.Cow

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 October, 2012, 01:27:06 PM
I've seen otherwise rational religious people take umbrage at Dawkins' manner and dismiss the rest of his generally irresistable logic as a result.

Definitely.  Dawkins is the science equivalent of gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell.
To quote Ian Hislop, "People don't hate Tatchell because he's gay; they hate him because he's Peter Tatchell."

Personally, I find Dawkins to be every bit as self-righteous & arrogant as the people he attacks.

Cactus

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 September, 2012, 07:36:20 PM
Quote from: Robert Frazer on 25 September, 2012, 07:15:20 PM
Seeing as "The Blind Watchmaker" was the one clever turn of phrase that Dawkins has conjured in his career as an anti-religion pundit...

In fairness to Dawkins, he coined that phrase as part of a defense of (and sequel to) his book The Selfish Gene, which was itself a serious piece of scientific thought, albeit presented in a popularising format.  Dismissing Dawkins as 'an anti-religion pundit' ignores his significant career as a biologist in the 1970s, and his important role in popularising key scientific concepts.

Dawkins was also referring back to Bishop William Paley's Natural Theology: or, Evidences of the Existence and Attributes of the Deity.

It took nearly 15 years but I knew it was worth keeping those undergraduate essays! It's also interesting to note that when I wrote said essay I had to book a period of time in the university library's 'old and valuable books room' in which I could carefully read the book and take notes. Now the whole text is online and I could read it on the bus if I wanted to. It's this kind of thing that causes futsies.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Cactus on 12 October, 2012, 06:30:06 PMIt's also interesting to note that when I wrote said essay I had to book a period of time in the university library's 'old and valuable books room' in which I could carefully read the book and take notes. Now the whole text is online and I could read it on the bus if I wanted to. It's this kind of thing that causes futsies.

I know what you mean!

I remember thinking the whole 'Futsie' idea being ridiculous back then (why would they call it 'Future' shock, cos it'd be the present to them"?) but nowadays, i can seriously see it. It's another aspect of 2000ad being prescient - we don't have a name for it but I'm sure loads of people go batshit cos they can't cope with  rapid modern developments.

PS:   AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
KILL YOU ALL!
UNAUTHORISED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA?
I'VE PERFORMED AN  ILLEGAL OPERATION HAVE I?
PASSWORD NOT RECOGNISED?

Yeah, I'm hanging on to the edge of futsie by the fingernails!

Mabs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 October, 2012, 12:04:14 AM
Quote from: Cactus on 12 October, 2012, 06:30:06 PMIt's also interesting to note that when I wrote said essay I had to book a period of time in the university library's 'old and valuable books room' in which I could carefully read the book and take notes. Now the whole text is online and I could read it on the bus if I wanted to. It's this kind of thing that causes futsies.

I know what you mean!

I remember thinking the whole 'Futsie' idea being ridiculous back then (why would they call it 'Future' shock, cos it'd be the present to them"?) but nowadays, i can seriously see it. It's another aspect of 2000ad being prescient - we don't have a name for it but I'm sure loads of people go batshit cos they can't cope with  rapid modern developments.

PS:   AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
KILL YOU ALL!
UNAUTHORISED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA?
I'VE PERFORMED AN  ILLEGAL OPERATION HAVE I?
PASSWORD NOT RECOGNISED?

Yeah, I'm hanging on to the edge of futsie by the fingernails!

^THIS. :D

I couldn't agree more mate!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie