Main Menu

What hardware do you read your Digital 2000AD on?

Started by Stella Dave, 16 September, 2012, 11:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stella Dave

I got back into 2000AD bout year ago but I'm making very slow progress as the only portable way to read files I have at the moment is our laptop which takes an eternity to start up and the battery life is kack. Due to the hassle I usually don't bother or have to read them on iMac which isn't too handy.

What Hardware do you chaps use? I have a Desire HD phone but this is not near big enough, thought about an iPad as I love my iMac and have been well and truly converted to Macs but there are so many other decent looking options now. I would love a MacBook Pro for my design work but that is out of the question price-wise at the mo.

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Pete Wells

The prog is a joy to read on the iPad. It's a decent size and then you can zoom in a drink up all those glorious details!

JOE SOAP

gufnork

There's no way I'm ever going to be able to afford an ipad so it'll be Android for me. Have put my order in with Santa. From what I can gather from some other forums the Archos is pretty good for comics and some have even said their Kindle Fire does the job ok. As someone who used to attempt to read comics on my Sony PRS505(black & white, small-ish screen, very old ebook reader) and got along ok for a while like that before realising it wasn't the done thing to do, I think pretty much any colour tablet would seem like a dream to me.

p.s. I quite often use the comixology app on my android phone(3.1 inch screen) to read comics too.

Glenn Broadway

I read my digital comics in Comic Book Lover on iPad 3. I use Landscape mode because the width is closest to the actual page width - scrolling down to read the whole page. It's a great (free) app - especially the way it handles page flipping.

On Mac I use Simple Comic - another free CBR CBX reader.

Albion

iPad. I love reading comics on it. I generally use the Comic Zeal app.

I download the comics from the online shop and back them up on two hard drives so I don't lose them. I went down the digital route as comics take up too much room in my small house but I do still buy collected editions of stuff I want from 2000AD and elsewhere.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Stella Dave

Cheers guys, I have Simple Comic on imac. Got some investigating to do!

Hap Hazzard

Currently got my subscription through the 2000ad app on iPad 2.  Glorious way to read it. Never thought I'd be converted from regular comics but it's unquestionably better, easier, and my progs aren't ever gonna disappear in a move again.  Fantastic.  If only Tharg would whip the droids into sorting out making Judge Dredd Megazine subscriptions available through it too!
That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

PsychoGoatee

I wouldn't say it's unquestionably better, I dig reading comics on a tablet and also in paper form. I mean, for the actual reading experience, assuming you have adequate lighting, there's nothing worse about reading it on paper.

Mardroid

I tend to read my comics on a laptop at the moment, although I'd love an Ipad. Apart from the price.

Anyway, I just popped over to the Amazon UK site and just noticed that they're taking pre-orders for the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD! Took them long enough!

Mardroid

I'm not keen on the fact they don't provide storage upgrades relying more on Cloud storage, but at that price and USB link to computers I'm sure that'll be a small issue. I hope it'll be compatible with PDFs and CBZ files. Mind you the HD version has 16 GB minimum. And 10 point multi-touch!

The Adventurer

Uh. Is the Prog avalible digitally through Amazon for Kindle Fire? or are people using a 3rd party program to read PDFs purchessed through the 2000 AD Shop?

I ask because I chose to pass on the Kindle Fire earlier this year. Because it didn't have app support for Dark Horse or Viz. ComiXology and Amazon were the only game in town. But if 2000 AD is available some how... the Kindle Fire HD might have my name on it.

also

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 September, 2012, 12:54:08 PM
Quote from: vzzbux on 16 September, 2012, 12:40:22 PM
I use the byproduct of a tree.

Sap.

Epic burn

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mardroid

It's not available by Amazon, I don't think, but on further reading it is compatible with PDF files which can be downloaded from Clickwheel.

Your raise a good point though. I get comics from Comixology too. I'll try to find out more of what Amazon covers.

Mardroid

Okay... some research later....

There's a comixology app for the Kindle Fire. On the downside one can't purchase DC comics through it. However according to this site you can read comics in the 'My Comics' section. In other words as long as you purchase the comics on a PC before hand you can then synch it to your device.  Since I'm used to purchasing on my PC anyway, i don't see that as much of an issue.

It would be nice if the comics on comixology would be actually downloadable to the device rather than having to read them on the net, as you do with a PC. Particularly as it would be nice to read on the bus, etc. That would be one of the main points in getting such a thing, after all. My laptop is perfectly fine for reading comics at home. (That being said I probably would use the kindle for convenience sake if I had one.)