Main Menu

I've read 2000AD from Prog 1 - now a haunted refugee from IMDB Dredd boards

Started by Samson_k, 24 September, 2012, 10:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samson_k

How are you doing?

I'm one of these old punters that was 10 when I got Prog 1 - it was at a newsagents just across from my school and I spent my sweet money on it and had lost my space spinner by about 4pm that afternoon - a sudden gust of wind having taken it to the 'haunted woods' that were behind the primary school I was at.  My Biotronic stickers were knackered by the Sunday, though the rash they left lasted a lot longer and my Invasion Survival Guide was with me until I realised that girls were not going to find it endearing seeing a blue and red handy survival wallet for a war that had not even happened yet.  I cried when John Probe got killed and I once wrote a script for a Judge Dredd film in four school jotters and sent it to 'John Carpenter, Hollywood, America' - that was in 1980 and he never, ever got back to me.

I have always loved 2000AD - no, I have always loved that it existed and even when it has been a bit ropey it has followed me through life.

I have largely shunned online fandom due to a weird and slightly grubby encounter with some Doctor Who fans that took exception to my suggestion that the Rani was and always would be rubbish.

I started talking to some people on IMDB about the Dredd film and found some like minded people and yet another reason to avoid my freelance work and thoroughly enjoyed the discussions.  However now IMDB Dredd board has become a mire of misery and wailing and people LOL'ing a lot and other people wondering why AMERICAN AUDIENCES HATE US SO MUCH that I thought that I'd come here as I believe that a lot of the people I spoke to regularly were on here and there would likely be more fairly level headed people than the wailing banshees that are tearing the flesh from their bones elsewhere.

I thought Dredd was a near perfect adaptation and I'm disappointed that the box office is so far not reflecting the quality and  I'll put my cards on the table and say I never much liked Rogue Trooper.

Anyway - nice to be here and I look forward to speaking to many of you in the future

Cheers

Dandontdare

Cracking first post Samson_k

welcome to an oasis of sanity amidst all the t'internet madness. I understand that a certain mental troll who has long been banned from here has been quite active on imdb lately, I've avoided looking to keep the blood pressure down. And don't get us started on those Dr Who message boards...  :lol:

ming

Welcome!  You'll find this place entertaining and with plenty of room for 'proper' discussions alongside much, much weirdness.  There's nowhere quiet like it, to be honest.

Samson_k

Cheers Dandontdare and ming

Aye, the perpetual troll has been on and off but to be honest the main fear about his posts is the problems with potential seizures as he posts and deletes at such a speed that it's like being Rod Taylor in The Time Machine.  I count myself lucky that being a 2000AD fan it took me 35 years to encounter him.

It's not so much the few persistent trolls that's been the problem - it's the general vast swathes of negativity surrounding the actual box office rather than celebrating the fact that the film largely works.

Anyway, thanks again and it's good to be here.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 September, 2012, 10:34:53 AM
Cracking first post Samson_k

What he said. Hopefully we're not as bad as Doctor fandom... though Doctor Who does seem to fire people up here too come to think of it.

I too never like Rogue Trooper, though it almost always looked good.

Welcome aboard and have fun.

Goaty

Welcome to 2000AD forum!

He is really good chap at IMDB board. I sponsor him on here. His replies really funny and wise.

And you will be fine on here.

Good luck, and my holiday is doing great!

Goaty

Samson_k

Quote from: Goaty on 24 September, 2012, 11:16:18 AM
Welcome to 2000AD forum!

He is really good chap at IMDB board. I sponsor him on here. His replies really funny and wise.

And you will be fine on here.

Good luck, and my holiday is doing great!

Goaty

Thanks Goaty - a pleasure as always buddy

Glad your holiday is going brilliantly.  Have you managed to see Dredd in Amsterdam yet? 

J3D1

Hi there, must admit I never liked Rogue trooper either but then again I wasn't interested in Dredd as a kid unless it had uber violent pages ha!

I thoroughly enjoyed Dredd. Took the franchise to a new level.

Saying that i've just ordered rogue trooper on xbox and dredd case files 6 so what do I know?
Welcome to the forum!

Goaty

Good, you will enjoy it here. I have to leave the IMDB for while as it overload with trolls now exciting about BO shits, sad fuckers.

You take cares.

gufnork

Hi and welcome, I'll add my voice to the rogue trooper lot too. Could never get into it myself. Thought it was just me, but apparently not. I'm currently disliking Brass Sun a good deal but I seem to be alone on that one. Anyway, welcome once again.

sharkeyfinn

hi guys,umm just got my first thing wrong...doh! posted my hello post in the new readers post above,aww well lol. anyway hi to you all,and i thought the new movie was triffic,
i wont repeat what i wrote in the other thread,but suffice to say its been a long time since i read 2000ad regularly, but i hope to get back into some discussions with you all at some point ;-)
one question? do you suffer with trolls here? i used to use the battlefield 3 gaming forums and they are just horrid, and got a bit peeved on the promethius forums with some A hole getting picky at my occasionally poor typing and spelling. heres hoping your the great bunch i think you all are. cheers ;-)

Dandontdare

Quote from: sharkeyfinn on 24 September, 2012, 06:26:53 PM
one question? do you suffer with trolls here?

Our mods have Dredd-like sentencing powers, so not so much!  :D. The 'probationary' period seems to weed out most of the bots and total fruitcakes, but if anyone gets out of order, it's a smallish community, so they tend to be reported and removed pretty quickly.

and welcome!

adogg4629

Hi Samson, It's Aaron from the IMDB boards.  Good to see you here.  I got about 7 people to see the film with me last Friday and all but one of them loved it.  Oddly enough the hater is a bit of a troll when it comes to these things, so I am not surprised.  But he's a good guy-just no accounting for tastes.

Hope you are well and enjoyed the film as much as I did.

Aaron

Samson_k

Hey Aaron - yeah, I loved Dredd.  One or two tiny wee story niggles but nothing to get worked up about.

It's good that you did too - I would imagine the pink limousine was packed with 7 there and presumably 6 back  :)

adogg4629

LOL.  Turns out I could only afford a Fiat.  But we all dressed as cowns and therefore fit snuggle in the back seat.

I'm definitely seeing it again before it leaves the theaters.

Aaron