Main Menu

Prog 1803 - Splashdown

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 29 September, 2012, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

Only just catching up on this one. Trying it in digital and it looks GORGEOUS!

Dredd was so good I've had to browse this forum to see what people think. Anyway, can't keep typing. I've got to dash off and flick through my post Cal Case Files to see who it might be! One particular name hasn't cropped up so far, which has surprised me a bit...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Kanoobi

I'm intrigued by the post Cal biscuit dunker, can't think who that could be yet. It was a cool Dredd episode, I've quite enjoyed the last few stories.

I'm loving ABC Warriors but could do with reading some back issues, it is one of the comics greatest works.

I wasn't sure about Brass Sun at first but I warmed to it. It's a slow progressing story but with a very interesting backdrop of a clockwork Solar System.

I've only seen a couple of Twisted tales, I really liked the one with the revengeful birds but this one I found very confusing. I think the idea is great and I'd like to see more, I just wish the art was a little clearer.

Grey Area I like very much, nice art and I enjoy the stories. It's been nice to see it's background fan out over the different stories.

A.Cow

Quote from: Kanoobi on 07 October, 2012, 04:04:17 AM
I've only seen a couple of Twisted tales, I really liked the one with the revengeful birds but this one I found very confusing. I think the idea is great and I'd like to see more, I just wish the art was a little clearer.

One of my gripes with Twisted Tales is his lack of visual continuity:

• Objects change appearance as he zooms in & out
  • He adjusts the camera angle at random -- IIRC there's an old story about Orson Welles doing the same on Citizen Kane so one of the crew forced him to watch westerns to learn how to do it: cowboys from the left, Indians from the right.
  • He doesn't distinguish enough between characters.  In the duck one he uses head feathers to make one character stand out but even this is hard to follow.

Pete Wells

Hmmmm, more speculation on MBD (mystery biscuit dunker.) If I can somehow shoehorn a fish reference in, it could be Roffman. Surely only he of all people would be able to get access to justice dept cameras. If Dredd is going to play dirty, Roffman could be a valuable assett...

vzzbux

Nice one Pete. Roffman would be an ideal ally for the upcoming turmoil Dredd may be up against. But there is a flaw in it. Roffman is too young for the post Cal reference.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SmallBlueThing

I have a sneaking suspicion it's roffman too. But, the 'fish' thing is confusing me- when did dredd last see him?

SBT

Goosegash

Just been flicking through Case Files 3 to see if anything catches my eye. The only potential suspect I can find  in the immediate post-Cal era is Albert Sherman, the kid who tried to become King Of The Meg and ended up getting enrolled in the Academy by Dredd. Was that story ever followed up? Cos he would certainly fit the profile...

vzzbux

Quote from: Goosegash on 07 October, 2012, 10:28:11 AM
Just been flicking through Case Files 3 to see if anything catches my eye. The only potential suspect I can find  in the immediate post-Cal era is Albert Sherman, the kid who tried to become King Of The Meg and ended up getting enrolled in the Academy by Dredd. Was that story ever followed up? Cos he would certainly fit the profile...
[spoiler]He died in a recent MEG.[/spoiler]

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Goosegash

Quote from: vzzbux on 07 October, 2012, 10:47:05 AM
[spoiler]He died in a recent MEG.[/spoiler]

Ah, must've missed that one. Never mind, then!

V

Zarjazzer

Prog of the year so far. Brilliant cover and fantastic new Dredd who is biscuit dunking maaahnnn???

Anyway ABC Brass Sun continued the brilliance but Twisted Tales was tops this week sharing honours with Grey Area which finally kicked into full gear.

Lovely lovely prog.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mabs

PROG 1803

COVER: Excellent 'Swamp Thing' cover by Clint Langley! We had an excellent ABC wrap around cover for Prog 1801, but this is definitely up there with the best in my opinion. I love the details and the dark tone to it.

JUDGE DREDD; BULLET TO KING FOUR: Really enjoyable story by Al Ewing , complemented by Henry Flint's brilliant artwork. It felt more than 3 pages. Its amazing how much detail and dialogue can be fitted into those pages.

ABC WARRIORS; RETURN TO EARTH: Ever since the last Prog, i've really starting to enjoy this story. Clint Langley's black and white artwork is absolutely brilliant. I prefer this (the black and white) over the previous colour works. The story too is getting quite interesting. I loved the artwork on the 2nd page; Hammerstein emerging out of the lake, and a young boy 'Fred' meeting him. The contrast between a 'weapon of mass destruction' and innocence via the young boy, meeting together was a nice touch.

BRASS SUN PART 4: Wow!  I've become a big fan of Brass Sun over the last couple of Prog's. I love Culbard's artwork (even if most of the male character's noses look like Qui Gon Jinn!). I was quite surprised by the death of Lord Achimandrite, I was under the impression that he would've been the main villain of the piece. Seeing our protagonist opening the door Time Bandits style was plain awesome! Having read Ian Edginton's interview in this months Megazine, and the plan's he has for the story - the possibilties and the idea's for the Orrery make me salivate with anticipation! The last panel was just breath-taking. The canvas has finally been opened and I cannot wait to see what happens in the next Prog!

TWISTED TALES: Erm, I didn't really know what to make of this to be honest! But one thing I will say is that giant mole creature humping the living crap out of everything was just laugh out loud funny! For all its faults, one thing I will say is that Byrne's artwork is excellent.

GREY ZONE (PART 4): I'm really enjoying this story. It did take a Prog or two to get into it, but I think things picked up in the last Prog, and have carried on into this weeks one. The stand out for me is the alien ambassador - he look's like a cross between (Ridley Scott's) Alien and Spawn! :D , and a really sneaky customer to boot. I love his dialogue too. As for the artwork, I feel i've started to enjoy it more. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Overall, a great Programme. And I cannot wait for Wednesday!

- Mabs (NW)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Oops! Messed up the BOLD above - its really frustrating that I cannot edit any mistakes. Really odd that.  :(
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

COMMANDO FORCES

Dredd felt more than 3 pages to me as well ;)

atp

Quote from: Pete Wells on 07 October, 2012, 09:22:42 AM
Hmmmm, more speculation on MBD (mystery biscuit dunker.)

OK, I'm going for cigarette smoking man's cousin doing a bit of freelancing because he got knocked back by the TV companies.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory

judda fett

Quote from: vzzbux on 07 October, 2012, 10:47:05 AM
[spoiler]He died in a recent MEG.[/spoiler]V

Did he die? Im sure The writer posed the question 'did you actually see him die'? Think The Sherman Kid may have been a bit miffed and had brought it up on the board (the writer being Mike Carrol?). I could well be barking up the wrong tree though Im prepared to admit.
Anyway my first thoughts re- MBD were the same as Richmonds- [spoiler]PJ Maybe[/spoiler].