Main Menu

The Last American

Started by orinAGN, 02 October, 2012, 04:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orinAGN

"The Last American" is a four-issue comic book mini-series released by Marvel's Epic imprint in 1990. It was written by John Wagner and Alan Grant with art by Mike McMahon.

http://comicattack.net/2012/05/comxlastamerican/comment-page-1/#commen t-343984

I looked at an article my friend wrote on it, and as I caught a glimpse of the picture, I thought: "Hrmm... that looks a bit like Judge Dredd".
Lo and behold, Wagner, Grant, and McMahon.
So, yeah... Dredd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_American

Any of you 2000AD fans familiar with this story?
Recommendations? Buy it? Pass?

Did you all read it, know of it, like it, hate it?

JTurner

I'd definitely recommend it although it wont be everyone's cup of tea coffee. It's a good off-beat look at Americana. Lovely artwork.

orinAGN

Quote from: JTurner on 02 October, 2012, 04:29:54 PM
I'd definitely recommend it although it wont be everyone's cup of tea coffee. It's a good off-beat look at Americana. Lovely artwork.

Cool.  Thanks for the feedback.

ming

A great read, wonderful McMahon art.  And if you pick this up expecting similarities to Dredd... Look elsewhere.  Tonally very different, despite the post-apocalyptic wasteland setting resonating with some aspects of the Cursed Earth.  The 'offbeat Americana' comment is spot on.

orinAGN

Quote from: ming on 02 October, 2012, 04:45:21 PM
A great read, wonderful McMahon art.  And if you pick this up expecting similarities to Dredd... Look elsewhere.  Tonally very different, despite the post-apocalyptic wasteland setting resonating with some aspects of the Cursed Earth.  The 'offbeat Americana' comment is spot on.

Nah, nah, the only similarity to Dredd I was expecting was:
1) Post-apocalyptic setting
2) The visual aesthetic.

Darren Stephens

one of my favourite ever mini-series. The art is just incredible.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Third Estate Ned

I was reminded of this when another forum member was selling his Cholly and Flytraps. Both series were collected in the 90s in the UK in a title called Meltdown. I was probably too young to understand it at the time but the artwork was sublime.

Spikes

Quote from: orinAGN on 02 October, 2012, 04:23:42 PM
Any of you 2000AD fans familiar with this story?
Recommendations? Buy it? Pass?

Its pretty much an essential purchase, really.
Treat ya sen, you wont regret it. Cheap enough on e-bay.

Colin YNWA

Another vote for yes. In fact defo, its great.

If your looking for such extra curricula activity can I also recommend (even more highly possibly) Outcasts but Wagner, Grant and Cam Kennedy. That too is absolutely wonderful and if your patient can be picked up on eBay for pretty cheap.

http://www.comics.org/series/3372/covers/

orinAGN

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 October, 2012, 09:47:31 PM
Another vote for yes. In fact defo, its great.

If your looking for such extra curricula activity can I also recommend (even more highly possibly) Outcasts but Wagner, Grant and Cam Kennedy. That too is absolutely wonderful and if your patient can be picked up on eBay for pretty cheap.

http://www.comics.org/series/3372/covers/

Cool.
So, I clicked the link.  Only 12 issues?
I wonder if I can snag a collected volume somewhere. 

Thanks for the recommendations.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: orinAGN on 02 October, 2012, 09:50:32 PM

Cool.
So, I clicked the link.  Only 12 issues?
I wonder if I can snag a collected volume somewhere. 

Thanks for the recommendations.

It was a 12 issue 'Maxi-series', as they were called back in the day, like Watchmen, about 28 pages of strip per issues as I recall. Criminally never collected. A fact that astonishes me to this day as its brilliant stuff.

orinAGN

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 October, 2012, 09:55:51 PM
It was a 12 issue 'Maxi-series', as they were called back in the day, like Watchmen, about 28 pages of strip per issues as I recall. Criminally never collected. A fact that astonishes me to this day as its brilliant stuff.

Not collected you say? 
Well then.... A hunting I shall go!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 October, 2012, 09:55:51 PM
Criminally never collected. A fact that astonishes me to this day as its brilliant stuff.

One looks for logic and sense from DCs reprint strategy at one's peril.

Remember that this is the company that has refused to reprint the wealth of excellent Grant/ Breyfogle Batman material because of... well, actually no one can work it out TBH.

But, yes, some unsympathetic inking over Kennedy's pencils aside, Outcasts is some pretty primo Wagner/Grant stuff.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Last American is dirt cheap on Comixology too- €3.99 for about 120 pages.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 October, 2012, 10:18:41 PM

Remember that this is the company that has refused to reprint the wealth of excellent Grant/ Breyfogle Batman material because of... well, actually no one can work it out TBH.

Yeah that is another one that remains a complete mystery. My fav Batman run of um all.