Main Menu

The Goon Movie - Kickstarter

Started by radiator, 12 October, 2012, 03:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

David Fincher has launched a Kickstarter to raise money to put together a showreel to sell the concept of a movie adaptation of The Goon. They need to raise $400k in a month, and I suspect they will smash that within days.

I've never read the comics, but I know there are some fans on this board who might want to get involved (are the comics recommended? I'm tempted to jump in).

Incidentally, I wonder if the makers of Dredd could go the Kickstarter route to raise some funding towards a Dredd 2? Probably not, but if they can raise $80k for the miniatures game, you've got to wonder...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/624061548/the-goon-movie-lets-kickstart-this-sucker

Dark Jimbo

Nice. I've always suspected the comics' 30s-noir vibe would translate really well to the big screen.
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

Quote from: radiator on 12 October, 2012, 03:55:15 PM
I've never read the comics, but I know there are some fans on this board who might want to get involved (are the comics recommended? I'm tempted to jump in).

The Goon is my favourite US comic being published at the moment. A warped and singular vision that has proved able to accomodate both very broad comedy, horror, and surprisingly moving tales - the comparatively recent Goon #38 (the tale of Goon's late Aunt Kizzie) is an absolute standout in the latter respect.

radiator

...so I go to Amazon to buy volume one of The Goon.... and somewhat predictably it's out of print, and only available for double the rrp.  :(

Beeks

Aside from 2000ad and Elephantmen...the only other trades I read

Pure class
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Professor Bear

Multi-millionaire movie director David Fincher wants us to pay for it?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 12 October, 2012, 04:55:56 PM
...so I go to Amazon to buy volume one of The Goon.... and somewhat predictably it's out of print, and only available for double the rrp.  :(

I suspect you might have gone to this page - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goon-v-Nothin-But-Misery/dp/1569719985/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350061279&sr=1-13 - which is the original edition, and long out of print;

When what you want is this page - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goon-Nothin-but-Misery-Numbered/dp/1595826246/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350061348&sr=1-2 - which is the newer edition and merely out of stock.

A few years back Dark Horse re-released the first seven volumes (confusingly, numbered 0 - 6) with new covers and trade dress (to match the new paperback edition of the previously hardback-only volume 6) so make sure you get the right ones.

I always recommend the Goon with reservations - namely that it does take a few books for it to find its feet. The stuff that works is cracking, but there's also a fair old bit that doesn't (I didn't find any of the fake ads very funny, for instance, and the tone can be all over the place). For me something really clicks in volume 3, which kicks the whole thing into another gear and is the first time you get an inkling the series really could support some ongoing narrative arcs - and in the next book Eric Powell develops his now-trademark pencil and ink style, and the rest is golden.

The Hellboy crossover is aces, too.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

No, I found the 'out of stock' page, but it's also evidently 'out of stock' everywhere else, which tends to mean 'out of print'.

I managed to find a copy going on eBay for a reasonable price courtesy of Oxfam. I don't know what edition this might be - how can I tell?

Dark Jimbo

Is there a cover picture?

If you're not fussed about your spines matching then it shouldn't be a problem. The contents and size of the two editions are exactly the same - it's only the covers that are different.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Professah Byah on 12 October, 2012, 05:58:56 PM

Of course. Multimillionaires don't become multimillionaires by taking undue risks with their own money. It's far more beneficial to take risks with other people's money and then reap the profits.

Professor Bear

Specifically poor people's money.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 12 October, 2012, 05:58:56 PM

but it's not Fincher that's pushing the Kickstarter fund, it's BLUR studios who are most likely not multi-millionaires.

Albion

Quote from: Professah Byah on 12 October, 2012, 07:17:54 PM
Specifically poor people's money.

But if people are poor they shouldn't give him their money. Then they wouldn't just be poor, they would be poor and stupid.

Also, I read some Goon sometime ago and I know it is well regarded but it did nothing for me. Maybe I just read the issues Dark Jimbo mentions. I might give it another go someday.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.