Main Menu

Tales of Nu earth

Started by TheMightyOne, 21 October, 2012, 07:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMightyOne

Just got Rouge Trooper: Tales of Nu earth and it is great, I HIGHLY recommend it

Richard

"Rouge Trooper:"

A sci-fi war story about a genetically-engineered soldier with rosy pink cheeks.

hippynumber1

That would clash terribly with blue skin!

Cursed Earth Dweller

I'm reading it right now.

Awesome artwork, awesome character! Certainly the 3rd in the group out of Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog. The idea of talking personalities of dead G.I's inside little microchips struck me as a little Philip K Dickian and I love that kind of stuff. And no, I have no problem with the fact that their names just happen to be called Gunner, Helm and Bagman. That just makes it even more awesome!

Also, I highly disagree with the opinion that the stories in here are of a juvenile tone. I find nothing juvenile about the anti-war centiments expressed in this book which only make it's future war setting work even more.

I must get the 2nd and 3rd volume by stak!

TheMightyOne

I think the bio chips names are nicknames :lol:

strontium71

They're the same names the Genies give the clones when they show an aptitude in GI training.
...because I hate you.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: strontium71 on 22 October, 2012, 06:34:04 PM
They're the same names the Genies give the clones when they show an aptitude in GI training.

...thanks for the spoiler.

strontium71

...because I hate you.

Cursed Earth Dweller

What I meant was I haven't read up to that point(or I just don't remember readings it) so technically it's a spoiler.

Quote from: TheMightyOneI think the bio chips names are nicknames  :lol:

No, they are names.

Who the hell are you anyway?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 23 October, 2012, 12:00:40 PM
What I meant was I haven't read up to that point(or I just don't remember readings it) so technically it's a spoiler.

So nobody can mention any incidental detail from any story no matter how long ago it was printed in case someone else hasn't read it yet?

Fuck, as they say, that.

Cheers

Jim

(And I speak as someone who still doesn't discuss the endings of Angel Heart or the Sixth Sense without first checking that the other person has seen it!)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Well we've got to establish some code of honor in order not to rob the benefit of surprise, right?

Ah fuck it, so does Rogue get this traitor general arsehole within the first book or does this story span all 3  of them?

And does anyone have anything better to adress then my inconsistencies? No? I have a cheesecake!

SmallBlueThing

Stront71: im sitting here chuckling at the lovely, brilliantly only-2000AD idea that in future war, soldiers will be named because scientists can tell that genetically, they are predisposed to being a very good hat.

SBT

hippynumber1

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 23 October, 2012, 01:15:34 PM
Well we've got to establish some code of honor in order not to rob the benefit of surprise, right?

Ah fuck it, so does Rogue get this traitor general arsehole within the first book or does this story span all 3  of them?

And does anyone have anything better to adress then my inconsistencies? No? I have a cheesecake!

Getting a little aggressive methinks! Gunnar, Bagman and Helm's names are hardly what could be called spoilers (I too love the idea of Helm being so-named because he's genetically predisposed to be a good hat!  :lol:). Likewise, I don't think anybody doubted that Rogue would eventually catch the Traitor General/destroy the Death Star/find the one-armed man/uncover the mystery of Laura Palmer's death, it's just a matter of when and how! Read the books and enjoy...

Dark Jimbo

I always thought the trouble with Rogue Trooper was Rogue himself - a concept masquerading as a character. He never really makes good on his initial promise and ends up simply being an excuse to tell war stories or think up cool future weapons. Gunnar and Bagman end up better developed than he does!
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

I prefer to see the bio-chips' names and eventual fates as mere spooky coincidence.  'Helm' is of course the name for someone (or something) that steers a ship, so maybe he was always sailing his own course.  'Gunnar'... OK, I give up... liked Scandanavian Death Metal?

Even in the more rational War Machine (AND HERE SPOILERS FOLLOW FOR THAT STORY) when Friday's equipment was merely imbued with his memories of his comrades, it couldn't struggle through to consistent sense. Top was the platoon leader, and his helmet was a command helmet, so fair enough.  Eightball was so-named because he was a marksman, so his rifle was particularly well-maintained, err, also fair enough.  Lucky... Lucky liked to play cards, so here's the backpack he used to keep them in. Ooo-kay.