Main Menu

Tales of Nu earth

Started by TheMightyOne, 21 October, 2012, 07:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Oooooooooo, I'd never considered the alternate meaning of 'Helm' as someone who steers the ship! That passed me by completely. Nicely done Sir!

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 October, 2012, 01:23:25 PM
Stront71: im sitting here chuckling at the lovely, brilliantly only-2000AD idea that in future war, soldiers will be named because scientists can tell that genetically, they are predisposed to being a very good hat.

SBT

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SmallBlueThing

And... Picture the scene, where the little blue babies pop off the conveyer belt- helm, bagman, rogue, gunnar... and a nasty little sod with an eyepatch called 'traitor general'...

SBT

Proudhuff

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 October, 2012, 03:36:44 PM
And... Picture the scene, where the little blue babies pop off the conveyer belt- helm, bagman, rogue, gunnar... and a nasty little sod with an eyepatch called 'traitor general'...

SBT

You forgot Buttplug and Prince Albert... and yeah that's a spoiler
DDT did a job on me

TheMightyOne

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 23 October, 2012, 12:00:40 PM
What I meant was I haven't read up to that point(or I just don't remember readings it) so technically it's a spoiler.

Quote from: TheMightyOneI think the bio chips names are nicknames  :lol:

No, they are names.

Who the hell are you anyway?

The hell does it matter?

hippynumber1

Easy tiger! Don't get yourself barred...

I, Cosh

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 October, 2012, 03:36:44 PM
Surely TG wasn't a GI?

Presumably Venus was a very gassy baby.
We never really die.

hippynumber1

I always assumed the TG wasn't a GI...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 October, 2012, 06:01:39 PM

He certainly spent a lot of time in a chem-suit for a man who could breathe poison gas...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 October, 2012, 06:09:12 PM
He certainly spent a lot of time in a chem-suit for a man who could breathe poison gas...
Fashion, Jim. I don't have to wear these heels.
We never really die.

Leigh S

I've said it before, but the names make sense if you assume they were named by the Genies in a jokey way that reflected their role in the 4 man squads.

You have 3 slots in the equipment, therefore to maximise the potential to save the GIs you need an organised 4 man squad:

1 man is assigned the helmet, 1 the backpack, 1 the gun and a 4th "rogue" man to fill in a slot or as surviving carrier of the other 3.

As far as the Genies are concerned, these arent people, they are living weapons/equipment, so as a cruel/black humoured way of naming them, they make absolute perfect sense.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 October, 2012, 06:09:12 PM

Cheers

Jim

And that's exactly WHY I assumed he wasn't!

Mark Taylor

...Or maybe Gerry Finley-Day named them that way so that the reader would easily pick up and remember who was who in the absence of the usual kind of distinguishing features like, y'know, actual bodies and faces. I'm guessing the pragmatic and somewhat unsubtle storytelling reason behind the names came before any in-strip rationale behind them. After all, the strip might have been cancelled after half a dozen eps. No reason to worry about it until you have to.

TheMightyOne

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 October, 2012, 05:56:02 PM
Easy tiger! Don't get yourself barred...

Why did he ask that in the first place? >:(