Main Menu

PROG 1810: RoBusters The Disaster Squad of Distinction - Assemble

Started by Tjm86, 17 November, 2012, 12:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MercZ

Some of the issues I've had with the prog have been mentioned in previous posts so I won't bloat mine with it. I'll just say that while I enjoyed the other stories I'm more eagerly waiting to see what's happening in Dredd's world than where the other two are heading towards. 

thejudgemuffin

Ok so here is something that came to me.,,this is like one of the biggest disasters to befall MC1 if not the biggest (another discussion for another time)....the kind of disaster that you would expect a psychic judge to predict...

Oh, like Fevy!

As I read the Simping Detective I noticed a strong similarity to the shape and form of the leader of the church of simpology overlooking the city and the 'beast' predicted by Fevy all those years ago (another judge child tie in as Dredd was with Hershey's flashback?)

I know City of the Damned exists but I'm happy to think in my own little way that this could get even BIGGER!!!

PS: I seriously just keep telling everyone about this all the time,,,I am positively boring!

Hawkmumbler

My view's on the prog can be summed up in a few words at the moment.

Dredd: Holy flying spit!

ABC Warriors: SNOOOOZZZZEEEE!

Low Life: Frank- [spoiler]!Well it was worth a try!"[/spoiler]

Brass Sun: Incest. That explains it then.

Simping Detective: DEMARCO WHY?!

In more detail...Dredd and Low Life are shite hot right now. Oh boy, where those cliffhangers ones to remember. Simp is something of a guilty pleasure. Yeah, the DeMarco revelation was cheap and a bit crap (gotta remember I wasn't around when she left the force, so alot of the impact is lost on me) but Coleby's art is stunning as per, and Mr. Turner is a creepy sod. Gotta love [spoiler]an army of simps too.[/spoiler] Presume there off to prepare for 'it' to arrive...
ABC lost interest age's ago. The presedent having his head shot in is all I wish to remember.
Brass Sun is great as usual, getting a tad TOO talky mind.
So over all, 2 Blighters, 1 Grower, 1 stumbling alittle, and 1 can jog on.

Richmond Clements

Well, I've been reading this comic since Prog 1, and that was one of the best episodes of Dredd I have ever read.

SmallBlueThing

What prog! Gorgeous cover, behind which lies a brilliant ABCs episode. Pat's having lot of fun here and while i much prefer Clint's colour digitally-rendered art, this is sufficiently thrill-powered to blow my circuits.

Dredd was quite simply one of the best Dredd episodes i've ever read. Ever. Can't wait to see what happens next! Low Life too- glorious. Not sure what the drokk Simping 'Tec is about, buit's saved by Sir Simon of Coleby's frankly incredible art. How can this be the same man responsible for 'the saharan ice-belt war'? Astonishing.

Brass Sun though, continues to be the unexpected tenner folded up small in your wallet that you forgot was there. I keep thinking it's slow and talky and not going anywhere, but then i realise we're sixty pages in and i'm not even pondering being bored of it. More- lots, lots more please Tharg. I'm assuming book one ends next week- can we not spin it off into it's own weekly?

Anyway- aside from the lack of letters, all good.

SBT

SmallBlueThing

"what a prog!", not "what prog!". And "but it's" not "buits". Fucking phone. Fucking lack of an edit function. Fucking sausage fingers.

SBT

Robert Frazer

QuoteSimping Detective - Hmm. Love this strip, but it always staggers a bit when Demarco's in it. Her declaration of love rings a bit insincerely given that the two characters have shared very little actual panel time together in this or previous adventures. I can see why Jack would fall for her, but why would she be so head over heels for him? That aside it's good stuff, and Coleby continues to play a blinder. Been great to have Jack back after too long away.

As you say, though, it's been a few years since the last Simping Detective Thrill, and it's not a stretch to think that their relationship advanced in the interim. Just like how Dredd doesn't only clock in to fight crime on Wednesdays, Point and DeMarco have probably had off-panel adventures.

DeMarco has shown a remarkable propensity to rush into really bad relationship decisions, too. After all, she's sidled up alongside:

1 - a corrupt Judge who tried to kill her.
2 - Dredd.
3 - recalling the Simping Detective text story, "a guy who goes 'flibble' on orgasm".

Hopefully some kind soul can introduce her to Halequin novels before she becomes enchanted with Otto Sump!
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 22 November, 2012, 04:25:57 AM
Hopefully some kind soul can introduce her to Halequin novels before she becomes enchanted with Otto Sump!

I hate to break it to you but [spoiler]Sump is dead[/spoiler].

NapalmKev

All-round fantastic Prog, every strip a winner.

Dirty Frank is absolutely excellent and easily the best story at the mo. Great script, amazing artwork. Quality!

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Zarjazzer

I have a nice day off to peruse 1810 and the new Meg. Cool cover and Dredd has one of the most shocking final panels ever-how's he gonna get out of this? :o :-*

Dirty Frank was simply magnificent but Simping threw a bit of a wobbler with the lousy 'tec saved by love  I suppose it is noir-ish but anyway more good revelations about the church's evil plans.

Brass Sun was also good and ABC  had a lovely lead into the old stuff. 
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Montynero

This is as fine a run of progs as I can remember.

Dredd, Dirty Frank, and Brass Sun take top honours this week. Thrilling, hilarious, and uplifting in turn.

Love Al's writing in particular. He's taking Dredd to new places, but without losing the old shool thrills. His scripts are all about telling the story and realising the world in as rich and dramatic a way as possible - just as it should be. And Henry is just the perfect 2000ad artist. They're an unbeatable 2000ad team.

I just don't want it to stop!

Goaty

Just pure wow....

Dredd is brilliant this year with Day of Chaos and Cold Deck!!!

Alien Goodness

Just when you think Dredd can't get any better, it does! The ending of this week's prog [spoiler]blew me away just as much as it blew Dredd away[/spoiler]! I'm also enjoying the references to early 2000ADs such as the Judge Child epic (in last week's prog) and to Ro-Busters in this week's ABC Warriors.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Alien Goodness on 22 November, 2012, 03:50:08 PM
I'm also enjoying the references to early 2000ADs such as the Judge Child epic (in last week's prog) and to Ro-Busters in this week's ABC Warriors.
And where also being served something fresh and new like Brass Sun! Only with Toothy!

Spikes

Quote from: thejudgemuffin on 21 November, 2012, 07:41:39 PM
As I read the Simping Detective I noticed a strong similarity to the shape and form of the leader of the church of simpology overlooking the city and the 'beast' predicted by Fevy all those years ago (another judge child tie in as Dredd was with Hershey's flashback?)

Interesting. Very interesting.

Finally got chance to have a right good read, and re-read of 1810, and then pondered on it all.
Dredd, well what can you say. Only quibble i can think of, is that it wasnt long enough. Love the panel showing Dredd, then pulling back to [spoiler]reveal the SJS's behind him.[/spoiler]
Some nice 'butter wouldnt melt' expression's on show leading up to when [spoiler]Bachmann makes her play, as well[/spoiler]

If its not too late to ask a query on this thread; [spoiler]Are the assassin's de-cloaking - ie some kind of invisibility thingy, and were there all along, or have they beamed in from somewhere else? I know teleporting has been mentioned a few times, so as a relative newb, how long has this technology been on the go, in Dredd's world? Not sure ive come across it being mentioned before, outside of the recent progs.[/spoiler]

And that last panel, well - unless Dredd is [spoiler] Mr invincible...[/spoiler]

Top edge of yer seat stuff - more please!

Lowlife, is just superb again and is vying with Brass Sun as my 2nd fave read at the moment. ABC Warriors is a pretty good episode again this week, for me its become a decent and largely a fun read these last few weeks, which leaves Simp, which on the first read left me cold, and i'd thought it was the weak link in a otherwise near perfect prog. Enjoyed it more on the re-read's, though its still confusing as hell.

Oh, how i envy those on here that have a subscription!