Main Menu

Prog 1811 Moonshot!

Started by oshii, 24 November, 2012, 10:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: A.Cow on 29 November, 2012, 12:09:59 AM

I once got complimented by Carl (in the street, in Southport) for wearing a Prog 2000 T-shirt

He was looking at your udders.

SmallBlueThing

Dredd dies next week, and everything next year is the continuing adventures of justice dept, and/or Rico. That's what Wagner means by 'dredd stories'- as has often been said, the story is the city.

Either that, or in line with IDW, everything is being rebooted with prog 2013.

SBT

The Enigmatic Dr X

My speculation is that Tharg's pulling a Zenith - Vertex on us.

The Dredd who has been shot is also a cold deck: Rico has been swapped with Joe
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 November, 2012, 08:02:22 AM
My speculation is that Tharg's pulling a Zenith - Vertex on us.

The Dredd who has been shot is also a cold deck: Rico has been swapped with Joe

Naw,Too young, have you seen how grizzled Dredd is these days?
DDT did a job on me

Goaty

Maybe they pulled "Cold Deck" on the 2000AD readers...?

There something we maybe missed in last few progs about Dredd?

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 29 November, 2012, 10:05:36 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 November, 2012, 08:02:22 AM
My speculation is that Tharg's pulling a Zenith - Vertex on us. The Dredd who has been shot is also a cold deck: Rico has been swapped with Joe

Naw, too young. Have you seen how grizzled Dredd is these days?

I remember thinking Flint's Dredd in this week's story didn't have so many lines as usual in the close-ups. In other panels he looks knackered though, and both Maitland and Bachman would have mentioned if he suddenly looked forty years younger. Kit Agee, who had never met Dredd before, remarked that Dredd (Kraken) looked younger than she would have expected in Necropolis - and there were only twenty years between the hatch dates of those two Fargo clones.

sheldipez

Finally I can post in the prog part of the forum! I've been buying 2000ad since prog 1800 so it's cool to hear this kinda talk
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 November, 2012, 11:52:59 AM
There was a run of progs through the 300s when 2000AD was as good as it ever got: McMahon on Slaine; Nemesis BkIII; DR & Quinch; Strontium Dog in semi-permanent residence...

That's how this run from 1800 has made me feel: like I was fifteen again. Congratulations and heart-felt thanks to all involved. Superb work.

and this

Quote from: scrotnig on 24 November, 2012, 10:38:30 PM
I can honestly say the post 1800 run beats anything from the eighties that is deemed "classic". No joke.

as Wednesday has easily become my favorite day of the week. The only negative thing I can muster up is to second Fisticuffs comment about Brass Sun ending how it has; I'm a bit sad that the prog is taking a break from this universe on the anti-climax and hope it returns soon.

Oh and before I forget, a comment from my local shop keeper a variation of which I get every Wednesday without fail: "Why do they have to make the bloody price so small on this thing?!"

radiator

I wasnt initially as crazy about The Cold Deck as everyone else, but this last installment was really exciting stuff. Bravo to all the writers and artists involved (and editorial too) - I have banged on in the past about doing a crossover between Simping/Lowlife and having more continuity between Dredd and its spin offs, so this is very pleasing indeed.

Brass Sun was great, and has so much potential going forwards.

Top stuff all round - a superb run of stories, and I can't wait for next prog!

DavidNewbigging

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 28 November, 2012, 10:47:19 PM
Whenever Dredd's taken a bad knock in previous adventures I have to confess that I've always been pretty cynically disdainful about it - "oh, he's top billing, there's no way they'd kill him off.", that sort of thing.

But this time... chaps, things really and honestly look dicey for him here. It's going to take more than a spin in the speedheal to fix this...!

QuoteHershey buys it and Dredd feels like he has to take on the job.

You know, that's actually quite credible, particularly when we remember Hershey giving Dredd an Interview Without Coffee a couple of weeks ago which could easily construe some foreshadowing. For over fifty years Dredd has been a latter-day Praetorian ensuring the sanctity of the Law when its practitioners go astray - but when he is, finally, after several near-misses, finally installed in the Chief Judge's seat, he is put to the ultimate test, one far more dangerous than any gunfight or face-off with Judge Death... is Joseph I-Am-The-Law Dredd truly incorruptible? Or has he just never been tempted before?

Exactly! That's what I got from the interaction between Dredd and Hershey. Total foreshadowing.

Frank

Quote from: Goaty on 29 November, 2012, 10:09:15 AM
Maybe they pulled "Cold Deck" on the 2000AD readers...? There something we maybe missed in last few progs about Dredd?

Aye, the misdirection's targeted as much on the readers as it is on Bachman et al. I was thinking along similar lines to Doc X regarding a Zenith-style switcheroo, but I had the big twist of Phase Four in mind, where the Lloigor are tricked into thinking they've won. I don't think Tek Dept are up to fabricating scale model universes, but Burdis's gripes about the plausibility of another bent judge being able to use the sleep machines to brainwash their own army got me thinking. It seems to me that someone like Smiley (if he actually exists) would be all over something like that, so if he let it happen there must be a reason.

I'm questioning the existence of Smiley and the reality of this story because of that word saudade, which I think explains the number of references to the Dredd strip's history in all three stories. At first I imagined it was the writers taking the pish out of themselves and their shameless milking of reader nostalgia for characters like the Kleggs and Murd, and ephemera like the nightmare gun, but now I think it might explain why such a major Dredd story is constructed from the fragments of previous adventures. Smiley's sitting room feels a lot like The White/Black Lodges.

IndigoPrime

I imagine Dredd will be fine, although will also probably end the run in a hospital bed on 'rapiheal'. As for Wagner, he mentioned in reply to me on his Facebook page a couple of weeks back that he's already writing new Dredd material, and so I can't imagine Dredd will be killed off and replaced by anyone else. I do, however, fear for the supporting cast in this one. I really really hope Frank makes it, and Hershey's too good a character to let go.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 November, 2012, 11:13:35 AM
Hershey's too good a character to let go.

As much as I'm inclined to agree, Hershey has the unusual distinction of having left the Chief Judge's post alive once... twice seems disturbingly unlikely, given the historical record of the position...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 November, 2012, 11:17:15 AMAs much as I'm inclined to agree, Hershey has the unusual distinction of having left the Chief Judge's post alive once... twice seems disturbingly unlikely, given the historical record of the position...
Oh, don't get me wrong—I'm not saying they wouldn't off Hershey; I just hope they don't, because she's a great long-running character, and her ability to stand up to Dredd and make him understand the problems of the office have been really interesting. She'd be a big loss to the strip. Also, given the poor showing in general for women in a lot of media right now, it's good to have a strong women prominent in the strip.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I also think the resent shift in the dynamic between the two at the start of Cold Deck is too good to let go. Previously Dredd has been on the outs with large parts of the force, but Hershey and a few others have always respected him and arguably in Hershey's case too much so for the office she has held. If she adds to Dredd's feelings of isolation in the force, new pressures build and an interesting route is opened up... mind having said all that I've always been a big fan of making Dredd become Chief Judge for a spell (only relatively briefly) and allowing someone else, Rico being the obvious choice, handle the more action orientated elements of the series during that time...

...I also had a theory that Hershey was in on what Dredd was but that's looking increasingly unlikely... so basically what the heck do I know!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 November, 2012, 11:46:47 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 November, 2012, 11:17:15 AMAs much as I'm inclined to agree, Hershey has the unusual distinction of having left the Chief Judge's post alive once... twice seems disturbingly unlikely, given the historical record of the position...
Oh, don't get me wrong—I'm not saying they wouldn't off Hershey; I just hope they don't, because she's a great long-running character, and her ability to stand up to Dredd and make him understand the problems of the office have been really interesting. She'd be a big loss to the strip. Also, given the poor showing in general for women in a lot of media right now, it's good to have a strong women prominent in the strip.

Hershey's one of the biggest assets the Dredd strip has. She's got all the legacy and history of Anderson, with the difference that she's not all about the cheesecake, and still feels relevant to proceedings. With the exception of that brief unfortunate Sinfield/Francisco interlude, she's also been Chief Judge since I started reading the prog, so her return has given me a lovely warm feeling inside. I'll be gutted if she ever comes a cropper.
@jamesfeistdraws