Prog 1811 Moonshot!

Started by oshii, 24 November, 2012, 10:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 28 November, 2012, 01:12:42 PM
Goaty, is that image from prog 1811? Just want to check before I click it. :D

YES!

Dark Jimbo

Dredd - Joooooe! Joe, get up! Pleeeeeease get up! Now, the logical art of my brain knows he's going to be alright long-term - of course he is, Dredd's going to go on for as long as 2000AD does - but my God if it doesn't genuinely pain me to see him fall down the stairs like a ragdoll. If that's not testament to the wonderful art and script I don't know what is. No superlatives left - although I can't help wondering if Tim86 is right and 2013 is going to feel awfully anticlimactic after this and DoC.

Brass Sun - Hmm. Bemused. I really don't undertand what Edginton's trying to do with his pacing and story structure these days. Remember that Red Seas outing - the Caliban/Ariel one - that ended on a cliffhanger? And then the first episode of the next book resolved the cliffhanger, killed off Caliban, resolved the Ariel/Prospero storyline of the last book and ended with the boys flying off into the sunset for new adventures? Except it had been so long since the last book that all the resolution fell really flat as nobody could remember what had happened last time, and we all wondered why he hadn't just ended the last book with that episode and started the new book with episode two? That.

I'd much rather he'd stretched out the stuff on Hind Leg with Wren's grandfather and the Orthodoxy and finished the book with it's resolution; or finished with the Station Master's explanantion of the orrery's status quo. As it is, this is a really odd place to stop things - Wren and friends are mid-conversation, for crying out loud! We're going to start the next book with them trying to work out why this guy's speaking in binary, but by then nobody is going to remember what was happening when we last left them! Which is all a great shame, as I'm otherwise really enjoying all the character beats. Looking forward to Brass Sun's return, but cautiously so - it's not been quite the unequivocal success I initially thought it would be.

ABC Warriors - Can't help but agree with Chosen Rider that so much of Langley's excellent b+w linework really throws into sharp focus the drawbacks of his digital stuff (which I'm generally a fan of). It does feel somewhat lacking in comparison - and yes, the dialogue's all quite Basil-y this week. And yet somehow none of that bothers me. My ABC blinkers kick in, and I can't help but enjoy myself. Really can't wait to meet Tubal - he sounds wonderfully bitter. Love that Mills is setting up new conflicts within the team now that Blackblood and Mek-Quake are gone, although I hope Zippo gets a bit more to do. As the new boy, he needs a chance to make an impression on the readers. The same thing happened after Steelhorn was re-introduced. He went on to do exactly nothing memorable, and remains my least favourite of the current line-up.

Low Life - Right, first things first - I LOVE Dirty Frank. One of the truly classic Dreddworld supporting cast members, putting old stalwart Anderson, over in the Megazine, to shame. That said, though, either rename the strip 'The Adventures of Dirty Frank' and have done with it, or let's have some new cast members, eh? I still think he works best in small doses and that over-exposure may breed contempt, and I desperately don't want that to happen.

Simping Detective - I've not enjoyed the last few episodes as much as I did the earlier ones, but I'm still on board and rooting for Jack. Worth it just for that panel of Dredd and Frank (and wonderful to see Coleby drawing him again, incidentally).
@jamesfeistdraws

Montynero

Bullet to King four indeed. Could Dredd get any better? It's the surprise of all this that really thrills. How often does a comic, or a movie, or a tv series genuinely surprise you these days? Not often, if at all.  But these three linked tales right after DOC really came from the deep and blew my circuits.

Adding a letters page each week is the only way to make this prog better. Preferably with reader's art.

Low Life gets my vote as thrill of the week. I feel a severe dose of post xmas Saudade coming on.

JOE SOAP

So Carl Critchlow is the man on duty for Prog 1812's art. Should be Zarjaz².

James Stacey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 November, 2012, 03:15:37 PM

So Carl Critchlow is the man on duty for Prog 1812's art. Should be Zarjaz².

This. As if I wasn't excited enough already. I don't think Crich has been in the prog since the start of ToD so this is very welcome.

Spikes

Spoilers for next weeks prog? Just seen in my inbox that this weeks thrill mail offers a sneak peak of 1812, so is it best avoided?
Anyway, just got in after a miserable, wet and cold day, and dodging the x-mas shoppers in Asda, this weeks prog is now at hand.
Thats some cover, but the back inside of it is something else indeed...

Shower, tea, and then a right proper read.

Goaty

As next prog show it... [spoiler]that Godcity IS a big FISH?[/spoiler]

Grant Goggans

Quote from: P-BOT/1138 on 26 November, 2012, 01:04:36 PM
this weeks prog must be in the guiness book of records for having the most gasps and 'oh, shit' moments in a single comic.

That's still held by the last issue of the Starman "Grand Guignol" story for me, which had four.  This prog's three is still pretty amazingly zarjaz.

a chosen rider

Quote from: Judge Jack on 28 November, 2012, 04:34:09 PM
Spoilers for next weeks prog? Just seen in my inbox that this weeks thrill mail offers a sneak peak of 1812, so is it best avoided?

The sneak peek is small image of a double page splash from 1812, without any text included.  (Frustratingly small!  I kept clicking in the hope it would magically turn into a high res image.)  I wouldn't call it too much of a spoiler for the story if you've read as far as 1811 - it's a relatively predictable development rather than a big twist - but on the other hand it did make me say, "Holy crap!" in terms of visual spectacle.  So I guess it depends how spoiler averse you are.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: a chosen rider on 28 November, 2012, 04:53:41 PM
The sneak peek is small image of a double page splash from 1812, without any text included.  (Frustratingly small!  I kept clicking in the hope it would magically turn into a high res image.)

Ha! Me too!  :D
@jamesfeistdraws

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Goaty on 28 November, 2012, 04:39:55 PM

You can see it's a big shark in prog 1811 at both the start of Low Life & the Simping Detective.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 November, 2012, 04:58:42 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 28 November, 2012, 04:39:55 PM

You can see it's a big shark in prog 1811 at both the start of Low Life & the Simping Detective.

And it even says so - twice! - in panel 2 of Simp. 'Icthyoid Lunar Object' and then '[The Judges have] Bigger fish to fry.' Plus there are all the panels in Low Life where it, y'know, looks like a big fish.
@jamesfeistdraws

COMMANDO FORCES

It seems that I may be the lone voice with the current Dredd. I've enjoyed the build up but it seems that once again the payoff is just not quite at the same level. Way too many things that just don't quite take it to the next level.

Sleep machine storyline (as mentioned earlier). You would think that after Cal, this would have so many safety overrides built into it that no one department would ever be allowed to alter it for their own gain. Checks and balances!
Dredd has numerous close range rounds impacting into his body, one in the chest, two in the abdomen and one in the thigh and he's not bled out but still manages to waffle on before he even bothers to say his special code words. AND that is after the dialogue between Hershey and Bachmann!
The explosion! This reminds me of the way Stallone dropped through the ceiling, it's that grating! Maitland blasts a hole in the wall and the shrap only manages to take out Estrella, as no-one else takes any hits!

Like I said though, I've enjoyed the build up but...

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 November, 2012, 04:55:02 PM
Quote from: a chosen rider on 28 November, 2012, 04:53:41 PM
The sneak peek is small image of a double page splash from 1812, without any text included.  (Frustratingly small!  I kept clicking in the hope it would magically turn into a high res image.)

Ha! Me too!  :D

And me.  :lol:

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 November, 2012, 05:59:27 PM
Like I said though, I've enjoyed the build up but...

You do know this is fiction, right?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.