Main Menu

Prog 1811 Moonshot!

Started by oshii, 24 November, 2012, 10:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 November, 2012, 05:59:27 PM
Sleep machine storyline (as mentioned earlier). You would think that after Cal, this would have so many safety overrides built into it that no one department would ever be allowed to alter it for their own gain. Checks and balances!

After the city's been devastated and with the whole structure of the Justice Dept. being reorganised/consolidated to account for massive losses you can see how things might slip.

Satanist

Well that was pants wasn't it?

That Frank was wearing running about the moon in I mean.

Top stuff!

I just cannae wait till next week so I'm away tae hibernate.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

COMMANDO FORCES

I suppose it could slip but Bachmanns plans must have been in play for ages and the destruction didn't slow her down at all. Once the department knew that the city devastation was Sov orientated then protocols should have been followed, unless they didn't bother thinking of any possible scenarios. We've already seen sleeper agents nearly take out the Chief Judge. What other schemes could be in play!

As has been said many times over the last few years it seems that the Judges of Mega City One are crap, unless they are Dredd. How on earth did it become the dominant city on the planet!

Goaty

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 November, 2012, 07:03:35 PM
As has been said many times over the last few years it seems that the Judges of Mega City One are crap, unless they are Dredd. How on earth did it become the dominant city on the planet!

Cos they got Dredd?

IndigoPrime

You do wonder why they don't trust his judgment, but then he has been wrong (mutants) and Hershey's found that more than most. Also, something that's been critical in this story: he doesn't trust enough other people, yet won't take the responsibility of the top job. I feel rather sorry for Hershey in this strip, and I hope not only that she survives, but also that she again tears Dredd down a strip or two, or more or less strong-arms him back on to the council.

JOE SOAP

I suppose it could slip but Bachmanns plans must have been in play for ages and the destruction didn't slow her down at all. Once the department knew that the city devastation was Sov orientated then protocols should have been followed, unless they didn't bother thinking of any possible scenarios. We've already seen sleeper agents nearly take out the Chief Judge. What other schemes could be in play!

Shit happens.

Hawkmumbler

I'd say cos' they got Dredd. Anderson probably help's a bit there also. And the fact that every other city is corrupt in some way. The future suck's right.

Fisticuffs

Oh I don't know, if you cut and paste ANY modern police force (upsized to suit) into Mega City One in place of the Judges I reckon they'd implode within 48 hours. I just think they suffer from Stormtrooper syndrome a bit too much sometimes, I actually cringe every time I see a Judge die in the prog now, bit like seeing a Panda dieing, ain't many left to go around!

Frank

Burdis; I sort of share your mild dissatisfaction concerning the Ewing/Williams/Spurrier bukake-ing of Dreddworld ... but not for any of the mental reasons you list. It's a story where a shark-headed plutocrat has conspired with a clown seminary and the SAS to build a floating city the shape of a fish on the moon, but your close attention to Justice Department weapons and tactics is always hugely entertaining and very welcome.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 28 November, 2012, 07:28:29 PM
Oh I don't know, if you cut and paste ANY modern police force (upsized to suit) into Mega City One in place of the Judges I reckon they'd implode within 48 hours. I just think they suffer from Stormtrooper syndrome a bit too much sometimes, I actually cringe every time I see a Judge die in the prog now, bit like seeing a Panda dieing, ain't many left to go around!
I guess we can do with killing off the Black Ops now though...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: we are all roger godpleton on 28 November, 2012, 07:43:34 PM
It's a story where a shark-headed plutocrat has conspired with a clown seminary and the SAS to build a floating city the shape of a fish on the moon

and Pat Mills is nowhere in sight.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 November, 2012, 08:04:43 PM
Quote from: we are all roger godpleton on 28 November, 2012, 07:43:34 PM
It's a story where a shark-headed plutocrat has conspired with a clown seminary and the SAS to build a floating city the shape of a fish on the moon

and Pat Mills is nowhere in sight.

You think Ewing, Williams and Spurrier are real people? They're the most convincing human characters Mills has created in years.

Frank

Querying the naturalism of the dialogue in ABC Warriors? I'm not sure how robots sound when they're nattering away to each other, but I'd be disappointed if their conversations were as halting and desultory as characters in an Andrea Arnold film. A matter of fact restatement of what's just happened and what they intend to do next is a more likely topic of the colloquy of characters who only have algorythmic approximations of emotions than how they're all feeling - and a refreshingly honest way of wrapping up a story which has been a fun digression from the ongoing narrative of the series.

I really enjoy the sensation you get from Mills's best work of being told a story, so when the dialogue and characters' actions are clearly expressing and advancing whatever the author is trying to say and do, it's never a problem for me. Pat's politicking always works best with characters - like the warriors and Nemesis - who aren't human, and art - like O'Neill's and Hicklenton's - which isn't naturalistic. From the blatant emotional manipulation of the stories of George and Charlie to Ukko's narration of Slaine's adventures, Mills has always treated me as intelligent enough to realise that the narrative I'm enjoying is something artificial and constructed.

Once you relax and accept that you're being entertained, characters travelling back and forward in time (and from strip to strip), and radical shifts in tone and narrative mode are all just part of the fun. The tone of my favourite ABC Warriors stories is that of operatic exaggeration though, and I'd rather have all the fun melodratics of Carrie hands emerging from graves, ""Yes Hammerstein, I am your Father!", and the way old red eyes always seems to have fork lightning emanating from him at crucial moments, than something as timidly pseudo-naturalistic as an episode of Eastenders with robots.

COMMANDO FORCES

SmallBlueThing

Oh fuckadiddliedoodah. And people want a movie of this? Why on earth would you sully a comic strip this good by putting it on a screen? This is comics at their finest, and comics at their finest are the best medium in which to tell any story. So this is the very best dredd could ever be- and it's fuckdiddlytucktastic.

I dont want dredd like this all the time- the one parters with joke endings, silly fads and dreadfull puns are the primary reason i like dredd. But once or twice every few years i want something as good as Cold Deck and i cannot wait until next wednesday.

As for the other two strips- brass sun was finally eclipsed by the main event, even though it deserved far more. A reread is required, once the brouhaha has passed- those three weeks with only prog 2013 to keep us thrilled would be the perfect time to read brass sun in context, and away from the overpowering dredd threesome.

I was glad to see the return of Langley's painted ABC art as i wasnt QUITE as sold on his b&w work as others, (cont)