Main Menu

Just Introducing Myself

Started by BrandonBarrows, 12 November, 2012, 01:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonBarrows

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to greet the community. I've been a 2000AD fan for well over a decade and that apparently makes me something of a rarity in the US. My comic shop owner actually once told me I can never cancel my subscription with him cuz he wouldn't be able to sell the books he'd pre-ordered for me. So I guess I'm a fan for life.   :D

I'm also a semi-pro comic book writer and have had numerous short stories published in anthologies over the last four or five years, as well as my detective series JACK HAMMER, published by Action Lab Comics, and my sci-fi graphic novel VOYAGA was just released by Markosia in October.

Looking forward to talking to you all.

Cheers!

Brandon Barrows

Dandontdare

welcome to the board BB - don't be afraid to include a link to your stuff, and to pimp any upcoming publications. You'll find there are lots of sickeningly talented folk around here (not me sadly) who'll be happy to offer criticisms, tips and advice. And I love the sound of your your sneaky blackmailing comicbook guy!

vzzbux

Welcome to the board. Enjoy and have fun.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Spikes

Quote from: BrandonBarrows on 12 November, 2012, 01:12:15 PM
My comic shop owner actually once told me I can never cancel my subscription with him cuz he wouldn't be able to sell the books he'd pre-ordered for me.

Ah, the North American struggle continues,  ;)

Now then, BrandonBarrows and indeed welcome,  :wave:
Great to see another far flung Squaax keeping the faith. Its sometimes hard to track stuff down over here in Brit-Cit, but i guess thats nowt compared to what you chaps have to put up with.

Richmond Clements

Indeed - it's great to see all these new folks from the colonies joining up! Welcome!

DW2012

Talking of the struggle to grow 2000AD in the US: I was in a comic book store in Portland earlier in the year.  There was about a shelf ot 2000AD related graphic novels, I'd say about 0.2% of the display space.  I had to do my bit for US sales so bought the first Button Man graphic novel.  I'd missed the first issues of that when I first got into 2000ad so never knew how Harry Exton got into the game.  The killing game that is, not the other one.

MercZ

Welcome to the forum Brandon from another American, good to hear you have some published works.

Do you have any favorite stories?

mygrimmbrother

Bat King

Welcome, you made a decision. Good or bad, tis a decision.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard, have fun and as Dandontdare says show us ya stuff.

BrandonBarrows

Thanks for the welcomes, guys!

You can check out a bunch of my stuff at my website www.brandonbarrowscomics.com and some direct links to recent stuff are below.

VOYAGA - http://www.markosia.com/titles/voyaga/ (includes a 10-page preview)

JACK HAMMER: Political Science - http://www.actionlabcomics.com/comics/ - Preview here - http://www.actionlabcomics.com/jack-hammer-political-science-now-available-for-pre-order/

Thanks!  :D

Emp

Minkyboy

Wipe your feet, WIPE YOUR FEET!!!
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Dandontdare

I enjoyed the preview to VOYAGA, it's a nice concept and the dialogue's good. If I have one criticism is that it's a bit too explanatory-wordy.The artwork is great and can tell a lot of the story with far fewer words. And the one line that could certainly have been lost - after explaining just how blown his mind is, "It had never crossed my mind that anything like this could happen". well, no shit. I had to read the whole speech as Moss from the IT crowd to make it sound right.  ;)

But I DID enjoy it!