Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Thank Grud this turned up on time.

No spoilers from me. Just to say that this is one of the best progs I have ever read and I've read em all.

Filled with superb quotes (choose your favourite and post em up! Mine is; [spoiler]Dirty Frank "Justice"[/spoiler].

For my money Dirty Frank just edges out Point as the character in all this.

Totally fantastic.

Damn comic gave me goosebumps. Twice.

Frank

I will not look at this thread until Wednesday, I will not look at this thread until Wednesday, I WILL NOT look at this thread until Wednesday ...

janus stark

postie is normally here by now, cant take much more.

LARF

I'm currently halfway through and coming up for air. This is the best Prog ever created and is summed up by Point in the centre spread panel 6, 'any drokker recording this there'd be geek jives O.D. Ing on a citywide squee.'

Arsom!

oshii

First bloody time in months it hasn't turned up on a Saturday.  Bloody typical.

Hawkmumbler

BAH! So I get my Zombie Flesh Eaters Steelbook and Profando Rosso BD but not the prog! GRUD ON A GREENIE! >:(

James Stacey

Well that was a bit good. I was really excited to see how they would tie everything together especially with the artists. Great choice of person to do that with some fairly staggering imagery. Smiley, despite the foreshadowing felt a bit deus ex but I can't see how that could be avoided, and he'll clearly be back in a future Low Life. I was also getting a little feeling of 'fan service' till Point pretty much said the same thing which made me laugh. All in all a cracking end and using the whole Prog meant it didn't feel an abrupt end. Hurrah.

Oh and thrills of the future - John Burns on Sinister Dexter. Interested to see how that works.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Pioneer

I got two copies delivered this morning! Unbelievable really, after a couple of weeks of disappointed Saturday mornings. Obviously the second one was a mistaken delivery by the postie, gonna deliver it myself as soon as I get out of my morning at work. Any fellow squaxx live in Swanage??

Trout

This morning I read prog 1812 in the waiting room outside my daughter's ballet class. I was surrounded by aspirational middle-class parents in crisp sportswear, and I sat, chuckling loudly, in my Wicker Man T-shirt, torn jeans and smelly old fleece feeling a spirit of brotherhood with Dirty Frank. Those fuckers will never know my joy. Hell of a prog.

The real beauty of this comic is in the editing. Steering it home has obviously been a challenge, but it's united three discrete strips with very different writing styles to give us a highlight in modern comics. The gritty Dredd story, the wordy noirish monologuing of Jack Point and Dirty Frank's unhygenic hilarity somehow combine into something that just works. It shouldn't - it should jar - but holy fuck it works, this shark-headed electronosing bang bang shooty shooty twisty turny justice-powered festival of backstory and supporting cast.

My highlights:

Judge Smiley looks just like Alan Bennett.
Point: [spoiler]"I'm deputisin' you morons in the name of the law!"[/spoiler]
The meeting between [spoiler]DeMarco and Dredd[/spoiler]. Uncomfortable.
Overdrive: [spoiler]"Name one thing you have that I cannot buy?"[/spoiler] Frank: [spoiler]"Justice."[/spoiler]
And that splash page. Beautiful and cheeky. I grinned.

There's more, of course. There are re-reads and discussions to come, as we peel apart the layers and enjoy the subtler parts, like when the writers peek out from behind the eyes of their characters. The "saudade" reference is explained, too, although I think it works on several levels; I'll have to have a bit of a think about it. All the loose plot threads appear to be tied up but I'll need to go over it again. There are more rewards to come.

But, overall: prog of the year. Dredd story of the year, despite John Wagner being at his best on Day of Chaos. I cannot praise this comic enough. Aren't we lucky?

- Trout

Danbo

Outstanding prog,still surprising me after all these years.

Quite simply the best comic I have read in years.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Dandontdare

Grrr no prog. Double SharkbahTM.

Must... avoid... thread

IndigoPrime

Excellent stuff. Almost feels like we're getting two end-of-year Progs this year.

Dark Jimbo

Well that was rather splendid.

What a great way to sign off on a fantastic year for Dredd. I don't know what to say, constructively speaking, that I haven't already said in the weeks leading up, or that won't inevitably be said several times on thsi thread by others. Suffice to say that I can't remember the last prog I enjoyed quite as much. Maybe my fave moment was a small one - Dirty Frank's 'That's the point. Which comes right after the Jack. Dirty Frank embraces the collaborative spirit.' Or perhaps [spoiler]Hershey[/spoiler] kickin' arse and takin' names in the Grand Hall. Also looking forward to more from [spoiler]Smiley[/spoiler] in future.

I can already guess the exact panels Goaty's going to be posting as soon as he gets his prog.  :D It's like a 'spot the ball' I like to play every week.
@jamesfeistdraws

Kerrin

TRIFFIC!!! Good eh? Took me ages to think of that.

Best prog in living memory. Far too many points of excellence to go into them all but my favourite line? [spoiler]BIG BARRY PENGE! BIG BARRY PENGE![/spoiler]