Main Menu

Prog 1811 Moonshot!

Started by oshii, 24 November, 2012, 10:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

I've removed Goaty's post at his request.

COMMANDO FORCES

Spikes

Im sure Goaty dint mean owt by it, but i hope spoilers, especially for 1812, will be confined exclusively to that particular prog's review thread

Im sure everything will be fine, as it usually is on here, but its such a biggie this one.

Cactus

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 30 November, 2012, 01:14:24 PM
SAUDADE:

I have a colleague who translates to and from Portugese as a sideline. I asked him about this word, and he explained it amounts to a feeling of nostalgia, but idealistically, almost like a belief in the good old days when they weren't necessarily that good. It was linked to a musical movement and, apparently, a political trend where people became disaffected with a dictatorship.

I've no idea if any of that's relevant but some of it struck a chord.

- Trout

Having experienced the feeling of saudade over the last week it got me thinking. My pet theory is that it refers to Frank's feelings for his sanity.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Andy Smart

Quote from: Cactus on 30 November, 2012, 06:31:49 PM
Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 30 November, 2012, 01:14:24 PM
SAUDADE:

I have a colleague who translates to and from Portugese as a sideline. I asked him about this word, and he explained it amounts to a feeling of nostalgia, but idealistically, almost like a belief in the good old days when they weren't necessarily that good. It was linked to a musical movement and, apparently, a political trend where people became disaffected with a dictatorship.

I've no idea if any of that's relevant but some of it struck a chord.

- Trout

Having experienced the feeling of saudade over the last week it got me thinking. My pet theory is that it refers to Frank's feelings for his sanity.

Ha, nice. The obvious answer is that it refers to Frank's longings for Mega-City 1 and the Lowlife in particular, especially if it ended up being destroyed while he was stuck on the moon.

"Damaged, brutalised and diseased, perhaps... but still Dirty Frank's city."

TordelBack

Foolish squaxx with your high-brow saudade speculation, Dirty Frank is merely channelling Wolverine during his semi-naked moon rambles:

Goaty

So Dirty Frank is the big weapon to saving the Mega-City?

Still wonder there something biggest for Jack Point. As they kept try to kill him... He only done sell the list... Something biggest coming?

Andy Smart

Quote from: Goaty on 30 November, 2012, 09:22:53 PM
So Dirty Frank is the big weapon to saving the Mega-City?

Still wonder there something biggest for Jack Point. As they kept try to kill him... He only done sell the list... Something biggest coming?

Well, Jack's shutting down the brainwashing but compared to what's happening with Dredd and Frank, he does seem a little less heroic. I'm sure he's got a big moment coming in the next prog. He's got to fight Turner at least.

But in this prog, and probably in this storyline so far, Dirty Frank's getting the big heroic moments.

Zarjazzer

What a fabulous cover in a year that has seen so many. Good stuff again only ABC induced a "um-so?" reaction -it just didn't seem to sit well aginst the excellence (again) of everything else. Where to start Dredd was just superb and Simping and low Life just top stuff so many great things in all of them. Still gotta love Dirty Frank's "giant step". Wow. Just wow. Congrats to all the teams involved from a gratfeul reader.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mabs

Okay first things first, the d'israeli cover is drokkin SUPERB. Really eye catching and of course it doubly awesome because its wrap around. After purchasing the prog i walked into Argos to buy a toy for my daughters birthday, and there were people ogling the prog cover with wide eyes! :D

As for the rest..

JUDGE DREDD// COLD DECK PART 6; wow! I was totally blown away by this strip. Loved the moment old stoney face drops the bomb literally : ''Bullet to king four ''- drokk me! And Dredd isn't looking too good is he? I could almost hear his groans as he falls down the steps. Once again Henry Flint's artwork is superb. I love the way he draws Dredd especially with the visible dent on the right side of his helmet. And Bachman looks like one scary bitch - especially on page 3. :D

BRASS SUN// WHEEL OF WORLDS PART 12; really gutted to see this end...for now. Its been a joy opening the prog these past weeks and finding the superb artwork of Culbard gracing the eyes. The story is also getting interesting. Looking forward to seeing this back in the near future.

ABC WARRIORS// RETURN TO EARTH; And so we come back to Langley's original artwork. Which is no bad thing mind, but the past few weeks i've really enjoyed this strip, and part of it was down to the superb black and white artwork. I wont lie, i wasn't a big fan of ABC warriors at first, but have grown to it, and enjoyed RETURN TO EARTH immensly. My stand out moment from the whole story arc has to be when Hammerstein blows the presidents head CLEAN off. Wow.

LOW LIFE// SAUDADE PART 7; Wow! Simply superb! Loved the shot of Dredd, Frank and Smiley sat around a tavle drinking tea :D, D'Israeli's artwork continues to amaze.

THE SIMPING DETECTIVE// PART 8; I wont lie, i'm not a big fan of Point and his escapades, and for me its the weakest of the strips -  HOWEVER, this Prog is the first time i've actually enjoyed reading it without it hurting my head :D. Coleby's artwork is one of the strong points as always.

All in all a terrific programme. I cannot wait for the next prog to see how all the three main stories come to a head. (and reading some of the reviews in the prog 1812 thread, Wednesday cannot come soon enough!)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Alien Goodness

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 November, 2012, 09:12:18 AM

Go, street team ASDA!

Looks like a Zarjaz cover all spread out like that.

If there's such a thing as justice in this world, then this should win "Cover of the Year" award. If it does win, then I'll join Frank and jump over the moon with joy.

SuperSurfer

Good one, Bolt-01.

That certainly has more impact on the shelf than that Carp Weekly.