Main Menu

PROG 1813 UNDER THE HAMMER

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 29 December, 2012, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 January, 2013, 08:28:20 PM
SAVAGE - I think I've lost track on how much territory the Americans have managed to take from the Volges. Because I was moderately confused as to why they were doing Hammerstein field testing in Dublin. That close to enemy lines seems like a good way for your enemy to see what you're up to. Pretty bog standard as far as Savage goes. Hammersteins shoot stuff and Bill is rude to some elitist prig.

The Allied command was established as being in Dublin in Book 5, which introduced that elitist prig, Howard Quartz, to this narrative.

Grant Goggans

I did want to say, for all that I've complained about Ampney Crucis not actually doing any detective work, good God'amighty, YES.  This is what I've been waiting YEARS to see.  Pages two and three of this episode are completely and totally perfect.  I don't know what the hell has taken Edginton so long to get this character going, but this is absolutely how I hoped this series would feel.  I can't wait to see what happens next.

Savage and Strontium Dog are also really good, the Dredd would have been good prior to DoC, and unfortunately Red Seas is as awful as it's been for years.  Endless talk, stark white pages, no rocket fuel whatever, too many characters, too much stuff in the script that Yeowell phones in and doesn't bother drawing.  Tharg could've run a Future Shock this week and let Red Seas skip from P2013 to 1814 and nobody would have noticed because nothing happens in this episode!

I'm still really not sure that we need any more Ten-Seconders, but credit to Tharg for finally assigning an artist who'll make the story coherent and characters look like individuals.  If we must have it, at least make it look good.

The Adventurer

QuoteThe Allied command was established as being in Dublin in Book 5, which introduced that elitist prig, Howard Quartz, to this narrative.

No not Quartz. That guy Bill stole the drink from.

While I'm with you on how Crucis is shaping up, we are at opposite sides on the Savage/Red Seas debate. I'd rather read Red Seas all day then read one more book of Savage.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

staticgirl

I found this issue in a shop in Mablethorpe. That's the first time I've seen it there since at least the 90s. What with the comic being sold in more newsies in Watford too i am very encouraged and hope more people give it a go.

As regards the insides I am one of the people who doesn't get excited by Red Seas. It's been treading water for too long.

The rest though I pretty much enjoyed!